EM TECH: WMS Space Mission

My Space Mission is having issues.
Start a game and immediately it begins to rack up bonus on the PF.
This eventually stops but at no particular spot or time.
Game plays, but if you hit the spinner it will tilt.
Also, sometimes (Not every time) when you start a new game the player 2-3
bank of scoring reels will cycle through a number of times before they come
to zero.
When you drain it does not count the bonus. It usually serves up 5-6 balls
per game even though it is set on 3 ball.

All these issues came about at the same time.

Any tech help as to where to start would be appreciated. I've never dug
into an EM before so this will be interesting.

--
-Doug

dugmar wrote:
> My Space Mission is having issues.
> Start a game and immediately it begins to rack up bonus on the PF.
> This eventually stops but at no particular spot or time.

Probably have a stuck bonus advance switch. Check them all (including
the super bonus rollover)

> Game plays, but if you hit the spinner it will tilt.

Weird. Does it tilt any other time? Check the spinner switch out see if
it's shorted

> Also, sometimes (Not every time) when you start a new game the player 2-3
> bank of scoring reels will cycle through a number of times before they come
> to zero.

Check the score reels, clean and adjust

> When you drain it does not count the bonus.

Check the outhole relay. Check the bonus unit closely.

It usually serves up 5-6 balls
> per game even though it is set on 3 ball.

Check the ball count unit. Probably needs to be cleaned and adjusted,
it's sticky so it's serving up too many balls.

> All these issues came about at the same time.

Ignore this, happens all the time and the problems are usually
unrelated.

> Any tech help as to where to start would be appreciated. I've never dug
> into an EM before so this will be interesting.

You picked a terrible one to start on, late 70s wms multiplayer EMs are
among the biggest pain in the asses, what with their hundreds of relays
and 4 or 5 stepper units. Good luck and thanks jebus that there aren't
any more problems!

> --
> -Doug

Do you have the connectors in the backbox plugged in correctly? In these
late 1970's Williams games, it was possible to swap one connector with
another, which can cause some really freaky problems much like you're
describing. Worth a quick check. Make sure wire colors match on either
sides of the connectors.

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA

"dugmar" <dugmar@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My Space Mission is having issues.
> Start a game and immediately it begins to rack up bonus on the PF.
> This eventually stops but at no particular spot or time.
> Game plays, but if you hit the spinner it will tilt.
> Also, sometimes (Not every time) when you start a new game the player 2-3
> bank of scoring reels will cycle through a number of times before they
come
> to zero.
> When you drain it does not count the bonus. It usually serves up 5-6
balls
> per game even though it is set on 3 ball.
>
> All these issues came about at the same time.
>
> Any tech help as to where to start would be appreciated. I've never dug
> into an EM before so this will be interesting.
>
> --
> -Doug

Another possibility is a missing nylon spacer on one of the switch sets in
one of the stacks on the score motor bank in the main cabinet. This causes
a switch to stay closed throughout the motor cycle and can do some
unexpected things as well.

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Web: www.actionpinball.com

"dugmar" <dugmar@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My Space Mission is having issues.
> Start a game and immediately it begins to rack up bonus on the PF.
> This eventually stops but at no particular spot or time.
> Game plays, but if you hit the spinner it will tilt.
> Also, sometimes (Not every time) when you start a new game the player 2-3
> bank of scoring reels will cycle through a number of times before they
come
> to zero.
> When you drain it does not count the bonus. It usually serves up 5-6
balls
> per game even though it is set on 3 ball.
>
> All these issues came about at the same time.
>
> Any tech help as to where to start would be appreciated. I've never dug
> into an EM before so this will be interesting.
>
> --
> -Doug

Also clean and tight the connectors in the back. I had a weird problem
with my space mission and it ended up being the connectors in the
lightbox needed cleaning...

Grojohn