Tech Gottlieb sys 80b

David

I just picked up a Gottlieb Monte Carlo and I am having trouble getting
it up and going. Some of the recommended repairs look like they have
already been done on this machine so I still have to go over it with a
fine tooth. In the meantime the wife and kids want to have a go at this
machine.

The problem I am having is that on start up the 2 displays flash one
zero each and there is a constant beeping from the sound. It does not
appear that any switches are stuck but again I still need to go over it
more closely.

If anyone has any thoughts I would appreciate it ... concerning this pin
that is!

Thanks
David

The beep from the sound board is typically heard during the sound test
once you press one of the buttons (can't remember which of the two
buttons). Turn off the machine, disconnect the sound board, turn it
back on, and see if anything changes.

Check all of your connections on the boards, and make sure that they're
plugged in correctly. Inspect the connector pins themselves for
corrosion and tension. Also, It could possibly be the daughter board
on the CPU. When the solder joints go bad on these, the machine will
do some screwy things. You may need to reflow the solder joints on the
DB.

It could also be the EPROMS causing the problem. Make certain that
they're plugged in correctly, and all of the legs are making contact.
Reseat the EPROMS while you're at it. Turn machine off, pull them out,
inspect the legs, and reseat them.

Good luck!

Jim
--
flipper [at] pa [dot] net

Hi David,

Serioulsy it is worth going through Kirb's startup procedures before you
fiddle. Establish the basics first
http://www.geocities.com/kirbseepe/RepairCPUstartup.html

Let us know what turns up

Tony