Sign in with
Your question

MSI 655 Max (SiS 655)

Last response: in CPUs
February 3, 2003 7:09:17 AM

"First off, we can safely say that MSI's 655 Max motherboard is the fastest Pentium 4 motherboard we've ever tested, albeit by a relatively slim margin over Rambus solutions based on Intel's 850E chipset. While E7205 boards were more or less the performance equivalent of PC1066 Rambus equipped systems, MSI's 655 Max has clearly taken the performance lead, but by a very thin margin."
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=1781" target="_new"> SIS 655 is the fastest chipset for the pentium 4 </A> :smile:

More about : msi 655 max sis 655

February 3, 2003 7:54:10 AM

excellent. good spotting.
I know that this is please crashman very much... he's been salivating after this chipset for a while :wink:

hmmm. interesting ram arrangment, more like a rdram chipset. MCH cooler could be better.
nice benchies though, specially at ddr 400 with al banks full. niiiice.
ass kick granite bay!

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires it and mortal men Covet it, <i>My Precioussssssss</i></b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lhgpoobaa on 02/03/03 05:06 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 3, 2003 9:16:42 AM

WTF is the deal with the 3 IDE headers? Overall it looks like a nice board, still want to see how the final version of the 8SQ800 Ultra 2 (whatever they renamed it) does also.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>
Related resources
February 3, 2003 9:54:26 AM

I agree this is nice, heh and so much for the peak bandwidth (4.2Gb) discussion that went on. It's clear that Dual DDR400 outperforms dual channel DDR266. :cool:
And not to forget the price/performance ratio!! 655 is a clear winner!
February 3, 2003 10:08:04 AM

<b>Crash </b>i dunno excactly what you mean about the IDE header thing, but hang on for the Asus and Albatron review that <b>Evan</b> will post later on. My guess is that the Albatron will be a keeper (as far as overclock goes) however it remains to be seen :wink: :smile:
February 3, 2003 4:28:17 PM

I hope this board arrives soon, I will push it as hard as it will possibly go.

Hopefully it can break my current top end of 4.14Ghz. I can already see that it needs a vcore volt mod.

If it does poorly, I will be sure to express my disatisfaction.

<b>"Granted I dont own a P4. But I read enough stuff and waste enough time on forums newsgroups IRC and computer news sites that I proberly know more then if I DID own a P4." -vk2amv</b>
February 3, 2003 5:49:32 PM

yes what the hell were they thinking of only a vcore adjustment of 1.6v ??? I think other manufacturers will release more aggressive approaches
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 3, 2003 7:04:06 PM

It has 3 standard IDE ports, aka parallel ATA connectors. One runs off the RAID controller. While it's nice for them to include ONE instead of simply forcing us to use SATA, it would have made more sense to use TWO since it IS a RAID adapter.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>
February 3, 2003 7:27:38 PM

Quote:

Heh heh. You should have just cut it off after people like my old science teacher used to do:

<font color=red>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.</font color=red>

;) 

PC Repair-Vol 1:Getting To Know Your PC.
PC Repair-Vol 2:Troubleshooting Your PC.
PC Repair-Vol 3:Having Trouble Troubleshooting Your PC?
PC Repair-Vol 4:Having Trouble Shooting Your PC?
February 3, 2003 8:22:04 PM

woops...my text didn't follow. There are two standard IDE connectors. The Promise PDC20376 controller supports two serial atas via two black Serial ATA connectors. In addition, you're allowed to setup a RAID array, either RAID 0 (stripping) or RAID 1 (mirroring).
edit: cut and past error :) 

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bob18 on 02/03/03 05:59 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
February 3, 2003 8:27:45 PM

<b>FUGGER</b> Impressive OC! But is it with a Dual Channel DDR board ?
February 3, 2003 8:30:33 PM

"Hopefully it can break my current top end of 4.14Ghz. I can already see that it needs a vcore volt mod."

Agreed ;) . Anyway It's going to be intresting to see what the Albatron and Asus boards has for OC options. Then there is AOpen 655 and GA-SINXP1394 (GA-8SQ800 Ultra2) also....
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 3, 2003 9:34:38 PM

Ah, but in case you didn't SEE the THIRD 40-pin connection:
Quote:
Thankfully, there is an additional IDE connector that supports two channels, which is powered by the Promise PDC20376 controller. Unfortunately though, the PDC20376-powered IDE connector only supports hard drives, no ATAPI (i.e. CD-ROM, etc.) drives are supported.

There is a third IDE connector. They should have been clear about it. Instead of saying it supports two "channels" they should have said two "devices". The board supports 6 standard IDE hard drives, 4 of which can be ATAPI, NONE of which can be RAIDed. You'll need to use the SATA connectors if you want RAID, which is kind of silly: they added 1 IDE connector to the RAID controller, they should have added the OTHER 1 also!

February 3, 2003 10:58:14 PM

No, a MSI 845PE Max2

Im running a Gigabyte GA-8INXP now.

I posted #1 high res on 3Dmark2002se and #1 high res FSAA with poor video card clocks.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5831503" target="_new">#1 3.9Ghz 1600x1280x32</A>

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5831501" target="_new">#1 3.9Ghz 1600x1280x32 FSAA</A>

Also a 22K low res, and updated my PCMark taking #2 fastest memory (questionable #1) and #1 fastest hard drive

<b>"Granted I dont own a P4. But I read enough stuff and waste enough time on forums newsgroups IRC and computer news sites that I proberly know more then if I DID own a P4." -vk2amv</b>
February 3, 2003 11:28:17 PM

hopefully other 655 boards by different manufacturers will have better overclocking features.
Im really interested to see what Epox will pullout of the hat.

And with your 3.9Ghz OC, i can see DC PC3200 working well with it.

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires it and mortal men Covet it, <i>My Precioussssssss</i></b>
!