baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Hi to everybody.

I'm writing this post just to explain my experience and help anybody trying to do the same.

I always thought that using thermal compound, the right HSF, standard voltage, monitoring temps, etc. would be enough for avoiding a fried CPU. Well, it seems that's not always true ...

I was overclocking a K6-2+ 450. Everything runs perfect at 500 and 550. 600Mhz was a no-no. After trying some changes (FSB, multiplier, even PSU) I was quite sure that, for whatever reason, the CPU will stop at 550. Well, then the computer stops working (only drives spin, no monitor signal). I though it was a mobo problem, but after checking everything, it proves that CPU has died. Why? I don't know, but I can swear you that it was running at correct volts (2.0v) and the HSF never gets warm at all. No smoke, no strange smell, no signal on the CPU of something burned. Really curios.

My conclusion is that maybe mobile CPUs can be "fried" just by pushing to far, no matter that temps doesn't go high or voltage is as stated. This is my first "fried" CPU :frown:

Now I'm running a P200MMX @ 250 (100FSB!) on a P5A-B ... what a waste of mobo!

Still looking for a <b>good online retailer</b> in Spain :frown:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yep. wellcome to electron migration.
Too much speed, too much voltage and despite the temp you cross the golden barrier.

It happened to me too.
HSF was good, mcx-462 with high speed delta.
1200C @ 1500Mhz & 2.05v was just too much.
crashed within 15 minutes... never to work properly again at ANY speed, unless i disabled the L2 cache.

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires it and mortal men Covet it, <i>My Precioussssssss</i></b>

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Well, I always run it at 2.0 volts as specified, but maybe too much speed produce that efect (electron migration).

I can't get even an image on the monitor, so I can't disable L2. I guess the answer but, can I do anything to run it? I already clear the CMOS and I know the mobo works well ... I've been tempted to run it 2.5 volts or something crazy trying to get it back! (like a shock therapy)

Still looking for a <b>good online retailer</b> in Spain :frown:

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
that actually might work.....u have nothing to lose.......start off with 2.1....than 2.2 and so on......

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
or it could have been right on the edge... just wating for you to push it a little bit further.

risk of burnout is the reason why im NOT pushing my tbredA xp1700+ beyond 1833mhz.

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires it and mortal men Covet it, <i>My Precioussssssss</i></b>