Flash BIOS Update?

Just received a new Inspiron 5150 from Dell. I noticed an available
Flash Bios Update for the system at the Dell web site dated 3/17/04.
How do I know if I need the update? Thanks.

My rule of thumb is don't bother unless you're having problems with your
computer.

Paul Riemerman

<sar130@columbia.edu> wrote in message
> Just received a new Inspiron 5150 from Dell. I noticed an available
> Flash Bios Update for the system at the Dell web site dated 3/17/04.
> How do I know if I need the update? Thanks.

There is usually a text file to download with the update that will have a
history of all the updates and what they fix.

Larry

<sar130@columbia.edu> wrote in message
> Just received a new Inspiron 5150 from Dell. I noticed an available
> Flash Bios Update for the system at the Dell web site dated 3/17/04.
> How do I know if I need the update? Thanks.

YES. I totally agree with Paul.

The BIOS in your machine is like a cranky septic cleaner. If he's doing his
job alright, then you pretty much leave him alone.

"Paul Riemerman" <parNOT55@tds.net> wrote in message
> My rule of thumb is don't bother unless you're having problems with your
> computer.
>
> Paul Riemerman
>
> <sar130@columbia.edu> wrote in message
> > Just received a new Inspiron 5150 from Dell. I noticed an available
> > Flash Bios Update for the system at the Dell web site dated 3/17/04.
> > How do I know if I need the update? Thanks.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

> YES. I totally agree with Paul.
>
> The BIOS in your machine is like a cranky septic cleaner. If he's doing his
> job alright, then you pretty much leave him alone.
>

> "Paul Riemerman" <parNOT55@tds.net> wrote in message
>
>>My rule of thumb is don't bother unless you're having problems with your
>>computer.
>>
>>Paul Riemerman
>>
>><sar130@columbia.edu> wrote in message
>>
>>>Just received a new Inspiron 5150 from Dell. I noticed an available
>>>Flash Bios Update for the system at the Dell web site dated 3/17/04.
>>>How do I know if I need the update? Thanks.

Cliche. What's the point in using a simile or a metaphor if it isn't
colorful or gross?

"Joan Hansen" <user@my.net> wrote in message
> If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)
>

> Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
>
> > YES. I totally agree with Paul.
> >
> > The BIOS in your machine is like a cranky septic cleaner. If he's doing
his
> > job alright, then you pretty much leave him alone.
> >

> > "Paul Riemerman" <parNOT55@tds.net> wrote in message
> >
> >>My rule of thumb is don't bother unless you're having problems with your
> >>computer.
> >>
> >>Paul Riemerman
> >>
> >><sar130@columbia.edu> wrote in message

Cause I'm a poor little ole lady.... :-(

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

> Cliche. What's the point in using a simile or a metaphor if it isn't
> colorful or gross?
>

> "Joan Hansen" <user@my.net> wrote in message
>
>>If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)
>>

>>Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
>>

>>>YES. I totally agree with Paul.
>>>
>>>The BIOS in your machine is like a cranky septic cleaner. If he's doing
>
> his
>
>>>job alright, then you pretty much leave him alone.
>>>

>>>"Paul Riemerman" <parNOT55@tds.net> wrote in message

LIKE or AS a poor little ole lady with her nose to the grindstone, bleah....

> Cause I'm a poor little ole lady.... :-(
>

> Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
>
> > Cliche. What's the point in using a simile or a metaphor if it isn't
> > colorful or gross?
> >

> > "Joan Hansen" <user@my.net> wrote in message
> >
> >>If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

> > his

Robert

A better rule is to read the release notes and consider applying the update.
They get posted because they contain either fixes or enhancements. Same
with Driver updates theey post.

I also apply the microsoft service packs and security updates, run a
firewall and keep my anivirus up to date.

Better than troubleshooting an issue 6 months down the track - just to find
posted fixes for that fault.

"Paul Riemerman" <parNOT55@tds.net> wrote in message
> My rule of thumb is don't bother unless you're having problems with your
> computer.
>
> Paul Riemerman
>
> <sar130@columbia.edu> wrote in message
> > Just received a new Inspiron 5150 from Dell. I noticed an available
> > Flash Bios Update for the system at the Dell web site dated 3/17/04.
> > How do I know if I need the update? Thanks.

gus

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2003

Robert wrote:

> A better rule is to read the release notes and consider applying the update.
> They get posted because they contain either fixes or enhancements. Same
> with Driver updates theey post.
>
> I also apply the microsoft service packs and security updates, run a
> firewall and keep my anivirus up to date.
>
> Better than troubleshooting an issue 6 months down the track - just to find
> posted fixes for that fault.

Whichever approach you take, be sure you leave yourself a way to
backtrack if the fix breaks something or you just don't like the new
behavior. Before flashing my BIOS, I make sure I have the current
version on a floppy so I can reflash it if I want - this has saved my
ass more than once. It's usually easy to back out software changes,
e.g., MS update. Set a restore point before installing anything.

tonys

update your bios..it is easy...

"Larry Greenwood" <greenwoo@minotstateu.edu> wrote in message
> There is usually a text file to download with the update that will have a
> history of all the updates and what they fix.
>
> Larry
>
> <sar130@columbia.edu> wrote in message
> > Just received a new Inspiron 5150 from Dell. I noticed an available
> > Flash Bios Update for the system at the Dell web site dated 3/17/04.
> > How do I know if I need the update? Thanks.

Robert

Until he encounters a new type he doesn't know about and breaks it.
I suppose you leave Windows security updates and virus definations alone as
well - its not broke is it!!.

I have been along that path when one administrator tried to say the old
PE2400 server was broke as W2K was having lots of issues when it had run NT4
fine for 3 years. The update of BIOS, ESM, Raid firmware & driver solved
his problems.

"Thomas G. Marshall" <tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com>
wrote in message news:usndc.14929$1y1.1410@nwrdny03.gnilink.net...
> YES. I totally agree with Paul.
>
> The BIOS in your machine is like a cranky septic cleaner. If he's doing
his
> job alright, then you pretty much leave him alone.
>

> "Paul Riemerman" <parNOT55@tds.net> wrote in message
> > My rule of thumb is don't bother unless you're having problems with your
> > computer.
> >
> > Paul Riemerman
> >
> > <sar130@columbia.edu> wrote in message
> > > Just received a new Inspiron 5150 from Dell. I noticed an available
> > > Flash Bios Update for the system at the Dell web site dated 3/17/04.
> > > How do I know if I need the update? Thanks.

No, I only use this leave-alone rule regarding the BIOS. When there are
regression errors in such a beast, things can go wrong in very hard to
define ways.