Flash BIOS Update?

Just received a new Inspiron 5150 from Dell. I noticed an available
Flash Bios Update for the system at the Dell web site dated 3/17/04.
How do I know if I need the update? Thanks.
12 answers Last reply
More about flash bios update

    My rule of thumb is don't bother unless you're having problems with your
    computer.

    Paul Riemerman

    <sar130@columbia.edu> wrote in message
    > Just received a new Inspiron 5150 from Dell. I noticed an available
    > Flash Bios Update for the system at the Dell web site dated 3/17/04.
    > How do I know if I need the update? Thanks.

    There is usually a text file to download with the update that will have a
    history of all the updates and what they fix.

    Larry

    <sar130@columbia.edu> wrote in message
    > Just received a new Inspiron 5150 from Dell. I noticed an available
    > Flash Bios Update for the system at the Dell web site dated 3/17/04.
    > How do I know if I need the update? Thanks.

    YES. I totally agree with Paul.

    The BIOS in your machine is like a cranky septic cleaner. If he's doing his
    job alright, then you pretty much leave him alone.

    "Paul Riemerman" <parNOT55@tds.net> wrote in message
    > My rule of thumb is don't bother unless you're having problems with your
    > computer.
    >
    > Paul Riemerman
    >
    > <sar130@columbia.edu> wrote in message
    > > Just received a new Inspiron 5150 from Dell. I noticed an available
    > > Flash Bios Update for the system at the Dell web site dated 3/17/04.
    > > How do I know if I need the update? Thanks.

    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :-)

    Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

    > YES. I totally agree with Paul.
    >
    > The BIOS in your machine is like a cranky septic cleaner. If he's doing his
    > job alright, then you pretty much leave him alone.
    >

    > "Paul Riemerman" <parNOT55@tds.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>My rule of thumb is don't bother unless you're having problems with your
    >>computer.
    >>
    >>Paul Riemerman
    >>
    >><sar130@columbia.edu> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Just received a new Inspiron 5150 from Dell. I noticed an available
    >>>Flash Bios Update for the system at the Dell web site dated 3/17/04.
    >>>How do I know if I need the update? Thanks.

    Cliche. What's the point in using a simile or a metaphor if it isn't
    colorful or gross?

    "Joan Hansen" <user@my.net> wrote in message
    > If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :-)
    >

    > Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
    >
    > > YES. I totally agree with Paul.
    > >
    > > The BIOS in your machine is like a cranky septic cleaner. If he's doing
    his
    > > job alright, then you pretty much leave him alone.
    > >

    > > "Paul Riemerman" <parNOT55@tds.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>My rule of thumb is don't bother unless you're having problems with your
    > >>computer.
    > >>
    > >>Paul Riemerman
    > >>
    > >><sar130@columbia.edu> wrote in message

    Cause I'm a poor little ole lady.... :-(

    Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

    > Cliche. What's the point in using a simile or a metaphor if it isn't
    > colorful or gross?
    >

    > "Joan Hansen" <user@my.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :-)
    >>

    >>Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
    >>

    >>>YES. I totally agree with Paul.
    >>>
    >>>The BIOS in your machine is like a cranky septic cleaner. If he's doing
    >
    > his
    >
    >>>job alright, then you pretty much leave him alone.
    >>>

    >>>"Paul Riemerman" <parNOT55@tds.net> wrote in message

    LIKE or AS a poor little ole lady with her nose to the grindstone, bleah....

    > Cause I'm a poor little ole lady.... :-(
    >

    > Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
    >
    > > Cliche. What's the point in using a simile or a metaphor if it isn't
    > > colorful or gross?
    > >

    > > "Joan Hansen" <user@my.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :-)

    > > his

    A better rule is to read the release notes and consider applying the update.
    They get posted because they contain either fixes or enhancements. Same
    with Driver updates theey post.

    I also apply the microsoft service packs and security updates, run a
    firewall and keep my anivirus up to date.

    Better than troubleshooting an issue 6 months down the track - just to find
    posted fixes for that fault.

    Robert wrote:

    > A better rule is to read the release notes and consider applying the update.
    > They get posted because they contain either fixes or enhancements. Same
    > with Driver updates theey post.
    >
    > I also apply the microsoft service packs and security updates, run a
    > firewall and keep my anivirus up to date.
    >
    > Better than troubleshooting an issue 6 months down the track - just to find
    > posted fixes for that fault.

    Whichever approach you take, be sure you leave yourself a way to
    backtrack if the fix breaks something or you just don't like the new
    behavior. Before flashing my BIOS, I make sure I have the current
    version on a floppy so I can reflash it if I want - this has saved my
    ass more than once. It's usually easy to back out software changes,
    e.g., MS update. Set a restore point before installing anything.

    update your bios..it is easy...

    "Larry Greenwood" <greenwoo@minotstateu.edu> wrote in message
    > There is usually a text file to download with the update that will have a
    > history of all the updates and what they fix.
    >
    > Larry
    >
    > <sar130@columbia.edu> wrote in message
    > > Just received a new Inspiron 5150 from Dell. I noticed an available
    > > Flash Bios Update for the system at the Dell web site dated 3/17/04.
    > > How do I know if I need the update? Thanks.

    Until he encounters a new type he doesn't know about and breaks it.
    I suppose you leave Windows security updates and virus definations alone as
    well - its not broke is it!!.

    I have been along that path when one administrator tried to say the old
    PE2400 server was broke as W2K was having lots of issues when it had run NT4
    fine for 3 years. The update of BIOS, ESM, Raid firmware & driver solved
    his problems.

    "Thomas G. Marshall" <tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com>
    wrote in message news:usndc.14929$1y1.1410@nwrdny03.gnilink.net...
    > YES. I totally agree with Paul.
    >
    > The BIOS in your machine is like a cranky septic cleaner. If he's doing
    his
    > job alright, then you pretty much leave him alone.
    >

    > "Paul Riemerman" <parNOT55@tds.net> wrote in message
    > > My rule of thumb is don't bother unless you're having problems with your
    > > computer.
    > >
    > > Paul Riemerman
    > >
    > > <sar130@columbia.edu> wrote in message
    > > > Just received a new Inspiron 5150 from Dell. I noticed an available
    > > > Flash Bios Update for the system at the Dell web site dated 3/17/04.
    > > > How do I know if I need the update? Thanks.

    No, I only use this leave-alone rule regarding the BIOS. When there are
    regression errors in such a beast, things can go wrong in very hard to
    define ways.

    "Robert" <PcTech@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
    > Until he encounters a new type he doesn't know about and breaks it.
    > I suppose you leave Windows security updates and virus definations alone
    as
    > well - its not broke is it!!.
    >
    > I have been along that path when one administrator tried to say the old
    > PE2400 server was broke as W2K was having lots of issues when it had run
    NT4
    > fine for 3 years. The update of BIOS, ESM, Raid firmware & driver solved
    > his problems.
    >
    > "Thomas G. Marshall"
    <tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com>
    > wrote in message news:usndc.14929$1y1.1410@nwrdny03.gnilink.net...
    > > YES. I totally agree with Paul.
    > >
    > > The BIOS in your machine is like a cranky septic cleaner. If he's doing
    > his
    > > job alright, then you pretty much leave him alone.
    > >

    > > "Paul Riemerman" <parNOT55@tds.net> wrote in message
    > > > My rule of thumb is don't bother unless you're having problems with
    your
    > > > computer.
    > > >
    > > > Paul Riemerman
    > > >
    > > > <sar130@columbia.edu> wrote in message