The effects of climate on case cooling

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Well a few days ago i was all up tight about my cooling in my new pc. I had a brand new p4 2.53 that i couldnt get to idle lower than 49C after it had been running for 3 minutes or longer. A cool front came through the other night so i opened my window it took my room temp down to 69F. I booted up my pc and whala, proc was idling between 43-44C.

I had no idea that room temps had such an impact on processor temp before now. But this begs a question, what can people who live down south in warm climate zones do to keep their procs from overheating in the summer. It is not uncommon for my room to reach 85F with my pc&monitor running for a couple hours straight. at that point, though, my cpu can reach as high as 65C running WC3 it seems. Is water cooling the ONLY fix for this? 65C is getting awfully close to the 71C limit stated by intel for this proc. Granted i've had no stability problems yet running as high as 65C...

I'm just wondering, what do others who live in warm climate zones do to help cool their pc's?

Windows is like a house of cards... One wrong move and it all comes crashing down.

Schryver

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2003
It's got 7 syllables and it rhymes with thermoelectriccooling... :)

Er, mebbe that's just me...

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by schryver on 02/03/03 09:41 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

eden

Champion
Such temps are rather very unusual for P4s. Are you sure you properly made the HS contact to the core?
At your temp on LOAD, your CPU should be throttling thereby losing performance.
I would seriously check for case fans if you don't have any, and see why it runs this hot. Consider removing the standard pad for Arctic Silver III if you must.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I had no idea that room temps had such an impact on processor temp before now. But this begs a question, what can people who live down south in warm climate zones do to keep their procs from overheating in the summer.
1) Good case ventilation. You've got to keep that air moving, both inside of the case and out. Whoever invented those desks with a cabinet for your PC should be shot.
2) A better-than-retail 3rd party heatsink. Preferably one with at least a copper base.
3) A better-than-retail thermal interface material. (If you can even call those thermal pads such...) Arctic Silver is the general favorite.
4) Air conditioning. Your PC doesn't like being hot any more than you do.

PC Repair-Vol 1:Getting To Know Your PC.
PC Repair-Vol 2:Troubleshooting Your PC.
PC Repair-Vol 3:Having Trouble Troubleshooting Your PC?
PC Repair-Vol 4:Having Trouble Shooting Your PC?

TRENDING THREADS