Jan 3, 2008
1_What is your budget?
850USD

2_What is the size of the notebook
that you are considering?
Around 15"

3_What screen resolution do you want?
1366 x 768 or better

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
im looking for one that is not too big, yet still can do multitasking

5_How much battery life do you need?
2 or more hours

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
it does not need to play games

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
watching movies, multitasking, web browsing, microsoft office

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
320 or more

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
Best Buy

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
4+ years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

Double-layer DVD±RW

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

13_What country do you live in?
US

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I want to get a laptop for school work, surfing the web, and watching movies on.

ibnsina

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Yes the Sony NW is also good choice, good design, light, Blu-ray player, reasonable battery life , reasonable gpu since He doesn't play games. Only warranty is one year, but it’s extendable.Memory is expandable to 8GB.

nativetj

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008
Yeah I have been looking at reviews about that sony vaio one for about 2 weeks now. I saw it on cnet, it revived an "excellent" rating.

Now I notice a lot of bestbuy laptops don't have ddr3 ram. Is there a significant improvement from ddr2 to ddr3?

aylafan

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006

The only major flaws I see in the Sony NW series so far is the viewing angle of the screen, colors go wild if viewing more than 45 degrees. The battery lasts around 2 hours and a half or less. The Intel 4500MHD intergrated graphics cannot play any games decently except for Starcraft and other strategy games, so you should get the ATI HD 4570 discrete graphics.

There is not a big performance difference between DDR2 and DDR3 except that DDR3 seems to use less power.

nativetj

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008
Thanks for answering my question.

The Viao on the Sony website does come with a better graphics card, however does not have blu-ray. So it comes down to a matter of do I want a blu-ray player, or more graphics performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.