Buying Dell memory upgrades in Oz

Archived from groups: aus.computers,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

G'day mates,

Thinking of getting a bit more memory for my old Dell Dimension 4100.

Anyone heard of, or had experience with, this mob:

http://www.upgradeable.com.au/ ??

They claim to be the bee's knees for memory upgrades, so I would be
interested in knowledgeable comments, please. Anyone with good/bad
experience? [They sound okay to me (apart from the price); and free
supply by Oz Post Express has got to be one up on all the dickheads
who insist on using friggin' couriers! -- It seems too many Oz
businesses just don't have a bloody clue!]

They're offering the 256MB module for AUD108 -- which is actually a
rip-off compared with Yankee prices of ca. USD60 (ca. AUD80); but I
haven't noticed a supplier here that's much cheaper anyway. :-(

Cheers, Phred.

--
ppnerkDELETE@THISyahoo.com.INVALID

"Phred" <ppnerkDELETETHIS@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> G'day mates,
>
> Thinking of getting a bit more memory for my old Dell Dimension 4100.
>
> Anyone heard of, or had experience with, this mob:
>
> http://www.upgradeable.com.au/ ??
>
> They claim to be the bee's knees for memory upgrades, so I would be
> interested in knowledgeable comments, please. Anyone with good/bad
> experience? [They sound okay to me (apart from the price); and free
> supply by Oz Post Express has got to be one up on all the dickheads
> who insist on using friggin' couriers! -- It seems too many Oz
> businesses just don't have a bloody clue!]
>
> They're offering the 256MB module for AUD108 -- which is actually a
> rip-off compared with Yankee prices of ca. USD60 (ca. AUD80); but I
> haven't noticed a supplier here that's much cheaper anyway. :-(

Any comptaible RAM will do. Check the manual for the memory type, eg PC2700
DDR then shop around.
As a guide I just bought 1GB for $140.

"Uncle Bully" <wakeupcall@optushome.com.au.Remove> wrote in message

> Any comptaible RAM will do. Check the manual for the memory type, eg
> PC2700 DDR then shop around.
> As a guide I just bought 1GB for $140.

Not all . Some Dell board is crazy enough to use diff type of RAM. Well ..
either that ram slot is stuffed or the earlier applies.

=bob=

Archived from groups: aus.computers,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Not quite. Dell motherboards do not use crazy memory. Just as with any other
name brand, there are specifications as to the type of memory required, but I
have not yet run into a Dell motherboard specification that does not require
some kind of standard memory. The days are long past when a name brand company
can afford to have both motherboard and memory designed to meet a proprietary
standard. All one needs to do is to read the specifications and buy memory that
meets the spec.

In the case of a Dell Dimension 4100, common vanilla PC133 non-parity 168-pin
DIMMs will suffice. To err in favor of greater success, memory with low-density
chips (i.e. more chips per DIMM) should be used.

As a rule, Dell servers require some sort of ECC memory. Dell systems with
RAMBUS memory require certain minimum speeds, and some require ECC RAMBUS.
Dimension systems which use DDR memory require memory of a minimum speed. And
so it goes... Ben Myers

In article <42e2c1ec.32911533@nntp.charter.net>, ben_myers_spam_me_not
at charter.net wrote:
>On 24 Jul 2005 07:31:29 +1000, "[BnH]" <b18[at]ii[dot]net> wrote:
>>"Uncle Bully" <wakeupcall@optushome.com.au.Remove> wrote in message
>>
>>> Any comptaible RAM will do. Check the manual for the memory type,
>>> eg PC2700 DDR then shop around.
>>> As a guide I just bought 1GB for $140.
>>
>>Not all . Some Dell board is crazy enough to use diff type of RAM.
>>Well... either that ram slot is stuffed or the earlier applies.
>
>Not quite. Dell motherboards do not use crazy memory. Just as with any other
>name brand, there are specifications as to the type of memory required, but I
>have not yet run into a Dell motherboard specification that does not require
>some kind of standard memory. The days are long past when a name brand company
>can afford to have both motherboard and memory designed to meet a proprietary
>standard. All one needs to do is to read the specifications and buy memory
> that meets the spec.
>
>In the case of a Dell Dimension 4100, common vanilla PC133 non-parity 168-pin
>DIMMs will suffice. To err in favor of greater success, memory with
> low-density chips (i.e. more chips per DIMM) should be used.

Yeah. That "low-density" specification for the 4100 is the thing that
threw me on just buying vanilla PC133 off the web as I couldn't find
reliable info on how to identify "low-density". [And a note for Uncle
Bully: Thanks for your interest, but the 4100 will only go to a max
of 512 MB fitted as 2*256.]

>As a rule, Dell servers require some sort of ECC memory. Dell systems with
>RAMBUS memory require certain minimum speeds, and some require ECC RAMBUS.
>Dimension systems which use DDR memory require memory of a minimum speed. And
>so it goes... Ben Myers

Cheers, Phred.

--

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 14:12:10 GMT, Phred <ppnerkDELETETHIS@yahoo.com> wrote:

> G'day mates,
>
> Thinking of getting a bit more memory for my old Dell Dimension 4100.
>
> Anyone heard of, or had experience with, this mob:
>
> http://www.upgradeable.com.au/ ??

I bought 512 MB of ram for my Dimension 2350(now I have 768 Mb) only about
3 weeks ago from
upgradeable.com.au for $108. Delivery was very quick, and the memory has
worked flawlessly.

I'll be using them again to upgrade memory in the future.

Buck

> In article <42e2c1ec.32911533@nntp.charter.net>, ben_myers_spam_me_not
> at charter.net wrote:
>>On 24 Jul 2005 07:31:29 +1000, "[BnH]" <b18[at]ii[dot]net> wrote:
>>>"Uncle Bully" <wakeupcall@optushome.com.au.Remove> wrote in message

>>>Not all . Some Dell board is crazy enough to use diff type of RAM.
>>>Well... either that ram slot is stuffed or the earlier applies.
>>
>>Not quite. Dell motherboards do not use crazy memory. Just as with any
>>other
>>name brand, there are specifications as to the type of memory required,
>>but I
>>have not yet run into a Dell motherboard specification that does not
>>require
>>some kind of standard memory. The days are long past when a name brand
>>company
>>can afford to have both motherboard and memory designed to meet a
>>proprietary
>>standard. All one needs to do is to read the specifications and buy
>>memory
>> that meets the spec.
>>
>>In the case of a Dell Dimension 4100, common vanilla PC133 non-parity
>>168-pin
>>DIMMs will suffice. To err in favor of greater success, memory with
>> low-density chips (i.e. more chips per DIMM) should be used.
>
> Yeah. That "low-density" specification for the 4100 is the thing that
> threw me on just buying vanilla PC133 off the web as I couldn't find
> reliable info on how to identify "low-density". [And a note for Uncle
> Bully: Thanks for your interest, but the 4100 will only go to a max
> of 512 MB fitted as 2*256.]
>
>>As a rule, Dell servers require some sort of ECC memory. Dell systems
>>with
>>RAMBUS memory require certain minimum speeds, and some require ECC RAMBUS.
>>Dimension systems which use DDR memory require memory of a minimum speed.
>>And
>>so it goes... Ben Myers
>
> Cheers, Phred.

I'd advise pulling the Dimension 4100 RAM spec from www.crucial.com , and
then locating a DIMM(s) that match off of an auction site or cheaply from a
local retailer.

If you can match the spec that's over at Crucial with a used DIMM and save
some money, I'd do it.

Stew

Archived from groups: aus.computers,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

In article <iEXEe.23391$Wt3.21030@bignews3.bellsouth.net>,
"S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote:
>"Phred" <ppnerkDELETETHIS@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> In article <42e2c1ec.32911533@nntp.charter.net>, ben_myers_spam_me_not
>> at charter.net wrote:
[snip]
>>>In the case of a Dell Dimension 4100, common vanilla PC133 non-parity
>>>168-pin DIMMs will suffice. To err in favor of greater success, memory
>>>with low-density chips (i.e. more chips per DIMM) should be used.
>>
>> Yeah. That "low-density" specification for the 4100 is the thing that
>> threw me on just buying vanilla PC133 off the web as I couldn't find
>> reliable info on how to identify "low-density". [And a note for Uncle
>> Bully: Thanks for your interest, but the 4100 will only go to a max
>> of 512 MB fitted as 2*256.]
[...]
>I'd advise pulling the Dimension 4100 RAM spec from www.crucial.com , and
>then locating a DIMM(s) that match off of an auction site or cheaply from a
>local retailer.
>If you can match the spec that's over at Crucial with a used DIMM and save
>some money, I'd do it.

Thanks Stew. Interestingly, Dell specs for the 4100 indicate CL3
<http://docs.us.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dzuul/specs.htm>
whereas the Crucial's primary recommendation is CL2 (256MB chip).
<http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.
asp?mfr=Dell&model=Dimension+4100+Series&tabid=CR>
though they do go on to suggest CL3 too, under their link to "All
compatible upgrades" (and no price differential CL2/CL3 modules).
<http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.
asp?model=Dimension+4100+Series&tabid=AM>

Cheers, Phred.

--

> In article <iEXEe.23391$Wt3.21030@bignews3.bellsouth.net>,
> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote:
>>"Phred" <ppnerkDELETETHIS@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> In article <42e2c1ec.32911533@nntp.charter.net>, ben_myers_spam_me_not
>>> at charter.net wrote:
> [snip]
>>>
>>> Yeah. That "low-density" specification for the 4100 is the thing that
>>> threw me on just buying vanilla PC133 off the web as I couldn't find
>>> reliable info on how to identify "low-density". [And a note for Uncle
>>> Bully: Thanks for your interest, but the 4100 will only go to a max
>>> of 512 MB fitted as 2*256.]
> [...]
>>I'd advise pulling the Dimension 4100 RAM spec from www.crucial.com , and
>>then locating a DIMM(s) that match off of an auction site or cheaply from
>>local retailer.
>>If you can match the spec that's over at Crucial with a used DIMM and save
>>some money, I'd do it.
>
> Thanks Stew. Interestingly, Dell specs for the 4100 indicate CL3
> <http://docs.us.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dzuul/specs.htm>
> whereas the Crucial's primary recommendation is CL2 (256MB chip).
> <http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.
> asp?mfr=Dell&model=Dimension+4100+Series&tabid=CR>
> though they do go on to suggest CL3 too, under their link to "All
> compatible upgrades" (and no price differential CL2/CL3 modules).
> <http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.
> asp?model=Dimension+4100+Series&tabid=AM>
>
> Cheers, Phred.

Phred,

They can use either - you're correct. I've forgotten now but I think my
original DIMM in my 4100 was CL3. I believe I mixed mine with a CL2 due to
price/availability on ebay (which defaults all to CL3).......

Stew

Latest posts