What the heck is going on with the Microsoft web pages? This is the second
time this week where I'm not able to access Hotmail, Windows Update,
www.microsoft.com, www.msn.com and a few others. Dead in the water.

--
DougH
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe/AMD 3500+

Malke

DougH wrote:

> What the heck is going on with the Microsoft web pages? This is the
> second time this week where I'm not able to access Hotmail, Windows
> Update,
> www.microsoft.com, www.msn.com and a few others. Dead in the water.

You haven't told us anything about your computer and/or your Internet
connection, so I can only give you general answers. Of course, the
servers could be having difficulty. A way to test whether the problem
is local to your machine is to try the sites from someone else's
computer - a computer not on your own local network, too. If the
problem seems local to your computer, here is information from MVP
Steve Winograd that addresses the issue:

This is a common problem with shared DSL connections that use PPP Over
Ethernet (PPPoE). Here are some possible fixes. Any one of them
should solve the problem:

1. Install Windows XP Service Pack 1 or 2 on the ICS host computer.

2. Find the right MTU setting on the client computer, as shown here:

and then make the setting manually on the client computer, or use
DrTCP to make it:

http://www.dslreports.com/front/drtcp.html

3. Download the free RASPPPoE program and install it on the host
computer. Use it instead of XP's PPPoE program. Details at these
sites:

http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/adslpoe2.htm
http://www.raspppoe.com

See these sites for more information:

Connectivity Problems on ICS Clients When You Use a PPPoE Connection on
a Windows XP ICS Host
-http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319661

Troubleshooting MTU Size in PPPoE Dialin Connectivity -
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/794/router_mtu.html

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers