FIANLLY, maybe something can save pinball...

Fantastic idea and great to see that Stern backed the concept too.

Dave

Funny, not really but sort of, 6k for a mocked up Sharkey's, but 5k for a MM
is considered "overboard".

OK, I will try to write to them that I will be willing to mock up a set of
Gottlieb System 3s for special needs and sell 50 of them to Hungerford for
a total of 2k each. Anyone want to bet I will not hear back?

Let's see. Short legs, multiple switches on sides of cabinet, mirror
reflections to playfield, sound jacks to ear / bone phones, etc.

Pissing in the pants feels good for a while, doesn't it?

Not sure if that pic of Sharkeys is legit, but if it is, 6k makes me even
more .............

"Lobo Wolf" <n2mfd@nospam_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/news/wabc_061305_pinballmachinetherapy.html
>

> Great idea.

Very nice of you Randy.My youngest son(5) is autistic.I can't wait until he
gets a little further along and is ready to grasp the concept of playing
pinball.Right now all he likes to do is watch the ball drain.If you try to
hit the flippers for him he gets mad.Part of the condition I am sure but
very frustrating none the less :)

--
Christopher Hutchins
www.highendpins.com
"Randy P." <pinball@REMOVEthepecks.com> wrote in message
>I long-term-loaned my RCT to an autistic boy I know. He loves to play it,
>and I can't help but think it's good therapy on many levels, including for
>his parents ;-)
>
> Randy
>
> "Lobo Wolf" <n2mfd@nospam_hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/news/wabc_061305_pinballmachinetherapy.html
>>

>> Great idea.

manic

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2002

I'm sorry to hear that Chris - that's gotta be a tough a frustrating
thing to have to deal with. Not the pinball but the autism of course...
hopefully his will turn out to be mild and he'll get past most/some
of the difficulties.

Having two young kids myself I remember how worried I was
about autism and breathed easier as they got a bit older... so I
feel for you.

"Christopher Hutchins" <chutchins2@carolina.rr.com> wrote in message
> Very nice of you Randy.My youngest son(5) is autistic.I can't wait until he
> gets a little further along and is ready to grasp the concept of playing
> pinball.Right now all he likes to do is watch the ball drain.If you try to
> hit the flippers for him he gets mad.Part of the condition I am sure but
> very frustrating none the less :)
>
> --
> Christopher Hutchins
> www.highendpins.com
> "Randy P." <pinball@REMOVEthepecks.com> wrote in message
> >I long-term-loaned my RCT to an autistic boy I know. He loves to play it,
> >and I can't help but think it's good therapy on many levels, including for
> >his parents ;-)
> >
> > Randy
> >
> > "Lobo Wolf" <n2mfd@nospam_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/news/wabc_061305_pinballmachinetherapy.html
> >>

> >> Great idea.

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 21:53:44 -0400, "Jim Knight"
<rottendog@NOSPAM.comcast.net> wrote:

>Not sure if that pic of Sharkeys is legit, but if it is, 6k makes me even
>more .............

We made special ROMs for Sharkey's and HRC (maybe others, I don't
recall) for the U Can Do company, until I just made it a standard
adjustment (Flipper Ball Launch) for all the games.

keith
--
At one time I had random Your Mother jokes down here.
Maybe someday they'll return...

Thanks Manic.
It is frustrating to deal with but at least he is healthy.To me it would
be much harder to have a physically handicapped or very sick child.So I feel
like we are lucky in that .As matter of fact a lot of the quirks he has are
very cute at 5 the problem is they won't be so cute at 10,15 or 20 they tell
us.He is incredibly intelligent but is behind on his speech development and
for lack of a technical term "people skills". He has really made some huge
improvements during the last year and a half though since we got him
formally diagnosed and enrolled in a "Bright Beginners class".
One thing I was surprised to find out is that Autism has been sky
rocketing during the last 10 years and it is truly an epidemic.

--
Christopher Hutchins
www.highendpins.com
"Manic" <manicmusicREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm sorry to hear that Chris - that's gotta be a tough a frustrating
> thing to have to deal with. Not the pinball but the autism of course...
> hopefully his will turn out to be mild and he'll get past most/some
> of the difficulties.
>
> Having two young kids myself I remember how worried I was
> about autism and breathed easier as they got a bit older... so I
> feel for you.
>

> "Christopher Hutchins" <chutchins2@carolina.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Very nice of you Randy.My youngest son(5) is autistic.I can't wait until
>> he
>> gets a little further along and is ready to grasp the concept of playing
>> pinball.Right now all he likes to do is watch the ball drain.If you try
>> hit the flippers for him he gets mad.Part of the condition I am sure but
>> very frustrating none the less :)
>>
>> --
>> Christopher Hutchins
>> www.highendpins.com
>> "Randy P." <pinball@REMOVEthepecks.com> wrote in message
>> >I long-term-loaned my RCT to an autistic boy I know. He loves to play
>> >it,
>> >and I can't help but think it's good therapy on many levels, including
>> >for
>> >his parents ;-)
>> >
>> > Randy
>> >
>> > "Lobo Wolf" <n2mfd@nospam_hotmail.com> wrote in message

I just watched the associated video to the prinited story, amazing
what they can do for those that need it. LOTR and RBION were the pins
of choice.

MJB

I have a good friend with an autistic kid who's now in his twenties and
fairly functional. I think it's important to understand that they are wired
differently and people skills will always remain a challenge because of that
though through loving guidance it can be tempered. They will always be
frustrated by the slightest change in routines, tend to be demanding in
terms of their own needs without considering others but to balance that out,
have the ability to give and receive love unfettered by restrictions that
most of us with the right social skills lack. So yes, there will be more and
different attention required but there will be compensate rewards too.
Bottom line, think of them more as different than handicapped.

GRY

> Thanks Manic.
> It is frustrating to deal with but at least he is healthy.To me it would
> be much harder to have a physically handicapped or very sick child.So I
> feel like we are lucky in that .As matter of fact a lot of the quirks he
> has are very cute at 5 the problem is they won't be so cute at 10,15 or 20
> they tell us.He is incredibly intelligent but is behind on his speech
> development and for lack of a technical term "people skills". He has
> really made some huge improvements during the last year and a half though
> since we got him formally diagnosed and enrolled in a "Bright Beginners
> class".
> One thing I was surprised to find out is that Autism has been sky
> rocketing during the last 10 years and it is truly an epidemic.
>

> --
> Christopher Hutchins
> www.highendpins.com
> "Manic" <manicmusicREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I'm sorry to hear that Chris - that's gotta be a tough a frustrating
>> thing to have to deal with. Not the pinball but the autism of course...
>> hopefully his will turn out to be mild and he'll get past most/some
>> of the difficulties.
>>
>> Having two young kids myself I remember how worried I was
>> about autism and breathed easier as they got a bit older... so I
>> feel for you.
>>

>> "Christopher Hutchins" <chutchins2@carolina.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> Very nice of you Randy.My youngest son(5) is autistic.I can't wait until
>>> he
>>> gets a little further along and is ready to grasp the concept of playing
>>> pinball.Right now all he likes to do is watch the ball drain.If you try
>>> hit the flippers for him he gets mad.Part of the condition I am sure but
>>> very frustrating none the less :)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Christopher Hutchins
>>> www.highendpins.com
>>> "Randy P." <pinball@REMOVEthepecks.com> wrote in message

"I thought he bought Lionel (?) toy train company for this reason."

he has a minor stake. partnered with another company to purchase the
company. and you are correct about how he got into it because both of
his sons (both autistic) are into trains. he heard that the company
was in trouble and put together a way to keep it from folding.

though some folks are expressing ambivelance toward his continued
presence. guess every fandome has their controversies/dramas. sorry,
won't run the thread off topic any more.

"I thought he bought Lionel (?) toy train company for this reason."

he has a minor stake. partnered with another company to purchase the
company. and you are correct about how he got into it because both of
his sons (both autistic) are into trains. he heard that the company
was in trouble and put together a way to keep it from folding.

though some folks are expressing ambivelance toward his continued
presence. guess every fandome has their controversies/dramas. sorry,
won't run the thread off topic any more.

Frog

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002

Lots of people, including the media , have called autism an epidemic.
However, the real question is how much of the rise in incidence can be
mapped to a greater awareness of the problem, both on the part of teachers
and parents. There is no way to distinguish whether the rates are flat, and
that previously mild to moderate autism went unlabeled, and simply were
characterized as 'shy', 'difficult', or whatever.

What is truly alarming is the search of some parents (and I dont mean to
imply that people here in rgp are acting in this manner) to find a root
cause or 'label' for their children's behavior, when it most likely caused
by their own inadequate parenting skills. My wife sees it every year,
teaching in her full inclusion classroom.
"Christopher Hutchins" <chutchins2@carolina.rr.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Manic.
> It is frustrating to deal with but at least he is healthy.To me it would
> be much harder to have a physically handicapped or very sick child.So I
feel
> like we are lucky in that .As matter of fact a lot of the quirks he has
are
> very cute at 5 the problem is they won't be so cute at 10,15 or 20 they
tell
> us.He is incredibly intelligent but is behind on his speech development
and
> for lack of a technical term "people skills". He has really made some huge
> improvements during the last year and a half though since we got him
> formally diagnosed and enrolled in a "Bright Beginners class".
> One thing I was surprised to find out is that Autism has been sky
> rocketing during the last 10 years and it is truly an epidemic.
>

> --
> Christopher Hutchins
> www.highendpins.com
> "Manic" <manicmusicREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I'm sorry to hear that Chris - that's gotta be a tough a frustrating
> > thing to have to deal with. Not the pinball but the autism of course...
> > hopefully his will turn out to be mild and he'll get past most/some
> > of the difficulties.
> >
> > Having two young kids myself I remember how worried I was
> > about autism and breathed easier as they got a bit older... so I
> > feel for you.
> >

> > "Christopher Hutchins" <chutchins2@carolina.rr.com> wrote in message
> >> Very nice of you Randy.My youngest son(5) is autistic.I can't wait
until
> >> he
> >> gets a little further along and is ready to grasp the concept of
playing
> >> pinball.Right now all he likes to do is watch the ball drain.If you try
> >> hit the flippers for him he gets mad.Part of the condition I am sure
but
> >> very frustrating none the less :)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Christopher Hutchins