Celeron M question

jeff

Does Celeron M have the same mobile technology as the Pentium M? In other
words Centrino capability for a laptop accessing the internet,etc in stores
or malls that are equipped. Thanks Jeff

The Celeron M is basically a 400 MHz bus Pentium-M with less cache.
It's slower than Pentium-M because of that.

The other tendency is that the Celeron-M appears in low end machines -
not higher end models.

If you're buying a new Dell, skip the very low end models (1200, 2200,
etc.) which are effectively throwaway notebooks.

Jeff wrote:
> Does Celeron M have the same mobile technology as the Pentium M? In other
> words Centrino capability for a laptop accessing the internet,etc in stores
> or malls that are equipped. Thanks Jeff

jeff

Thanks, it's for a friend with not a lot of money for her daughter for
school. She was looking at the 2200.

"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
> The Celeron M is basically a 400 MHz bus Pentium-M with less cache. It's
> slower than Pentium-M because of that.
>
> The other tendency is that the Celeron-M appears in low end machines - not
> higher end models.
>
> If you're buying a new Dell, skip the very low end models (1200, 2200,
> etc.) which are effectively throwaway notebooks.
>

> Jeff wrote:
>> Does Celeron M have the same mobile technology as the Pentium M? In
>> other words Centrino capability for a laptop accessing the internet,etc
>> in stores or malls that are equipped. Thanks Jeff

Jeff's,
You may suggest to your friend, if her daughter is going to college, it might be prudent to check the college's computer dept, she need to have XP Pro to connect with the campus system. It will be less expensive if she purchase her laptop/notebook with installed.

I know you said money is an issue, but see if she can afford the following:
1. Get XP Pro installed.
2. To upgrade to at least 512MB of RAM, but 256MB of RAM should be the minimum. It might be cheaper to purchase from third party vendors such as www.crucial.com, than from Dell.
3. To get the extended warranty, PLUS the Complete Accidental coverage, for as long as she is in school.
4. Make sure that you get the Dell Restore CD for the unit from Dell, even if you have to pay for it. It is just $8.00, and will be well worth it.

--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

RRR_News wrote:
> Jeff's,
> You may suggest to your friend, if her daughter is going to college, it might be prudent to check the college's computer dept, she need to have XP Pro to connect with the campus system. It will be less expensive if she purchase her laptop/notebook with installed.
>
> I know you said money is an issue, but see if she can afford the following:
> 1. Get XP Pro installed.
> 2. To upgrade to at least 512MB of RAM, but 256MB of RAM should be the minimum. It might be cheaper to purchase from third party vendors such as www.crucial.com, than from Dell.
> 3. To get the extended warranty, PLUS the Complete Accidental coverage, for as long as she is in school.
> 4. Make sure that you get the Dell Restore CD for the unit from Dell, even if you have to pay for it. It is just $8.00, and will be well worth it.

I cannot think of a reason why a college student would actually need XP
Pro installed. XP Pro gives them the ability to join a Windows Active
Directory domain, however no college is going to be running a domain for
the students to be a member of.

Windows XP home can pull an IP and access the network just fine. It
just cannot join a domain. This should NOT be an issue.

Patrick,
Actually many colleges due require that you join their domain.

See the following for the Univ of Mich page 17:

http://rescomp.housing.umich.edu/tech.help/tech.help/images/Netguide04.pdf

From another college, Pace University of New York:

a.. Pace Strongly recommends that any student planning to connect to the Pace network buy their systems with either Microsoft Windows XP Professional or Windows 2000 Professional as their operating system.

--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

"Patrick L. Parks" <1H8Comcast@anybodyelse.com> wrote in message news:_cOdnUWEcJHUnn7fRVn-rA@wideopenwest.com...
RRR_News wrote:
> Jeff's,
> You may suggest to your friend, if her daughter is going to college, it might be prudent to check the college's computer dept, she need to have XP Pro to connect with the campus system. It will be less expensive if she purchase her laptop/notebook with installed.
>
> I know you said money is an issue, but see if she can afford the following:
> 1. Get XP Pro installed.
> 2. To upgrade to at least 512MB of RAM, but 256MB of RAM should be the minimum. It might be cheaper to purchase from third party vendors such as www.crucial.com, than from Dell.
> 3. To get the extended warranty, PLUS the Complete Accidental coverage, for as long as she is in school.
> 4. Make sure that you get the Dell Restore CD for the unit from Dell, even if you have to pay for it. It is just $8.00, and will be well worth it.

I cannot think of a reason why a college student would actually need XP
Pro installed. XP Pro gives them the ability to join a Windows Active
Directory domain, however no college is going to be running a domain for
the students to be a member of.

Windows XP home can pull an IP and access the network just fine. It
just cannot join a domain. This should NOT be an issue.

"Patrick L. Parks" <1H8Comcast@anybodyelse.com> wrote in message
> RRR_News wrote:
>> Jeff's,
>> You may suggest to your friend, if her daughter is going to college, it
>> might be prudent to check the college's computer dept, she need to have
>> XP Pro to connect with the campus system. It will be less expensive if
>> she purchase her laptop/notebook with installed.
>>
>> I know you said money is an issue, but see if she can afford the
>> following:
>> 1. Get XP Pro installed.
>> 2. To upgrade to at least 512MB of RAM, but 256MB of RAM should be the
>> minimum. It might be cheaper to purchase from third party vendors such as
>> www.crucial.com, than from Dell.
>> 3. To get the extended warranty, PLUS the Complete Accidental coverage,
>> for as long as she is in school.
>> 4. Make sure that you get the Dell Restore CD for the unit from Dell,
>> even if you have to pay for it. It is just $8.00, and will be well worth
>> it.
>>
> I cannot think of a reason why a college student would actually need XP
> Pro installed. XP Pro gives them the ability to join a Windows Active
> Directory domain, however no college is going to be running a domain for
> the students to be a member of.
>
> Windows XP home can pull an IP and access the network just fine. It just
> cannot join a domain. This should NOT be an issue.
\

What makes you think no College will have a domain? Heck, the IT magnet
high school here requires XP Pro for domain access.

Tom

The 2200 is cheap up front, but it may not last through a college course
of studies.

Look elsewhere - toward the Latitude lineup, which are in general, more
solidly built than the Inspirons.

Jeff wrote:
> Thanks, it's for a friend with not a lot of money for her daughter for
> school. She was looking at the 2200.

jeff

Thanks to all. I didn't realize about XP Pro and the domain issue. Jeff

> The 2200 is cheap up front, but it may not last through a college course
> of studies.
>
> Look elsewhere - toward the Latitude lineup, which are in general, more
> solidly built than the Inspirons.
>

> Jeff wrote:
>> Thanks, it's for a friend with not a lot of money for her daughter for
>> school. She was looking at the 2200.

and, to add one further on to that, the university my son is going to next year has requested (and I don't know how strong that request is until I call) that they put a "specific" wireless card in their computers to hook up with their wireless system there on campus. They say that they can help if you have their hardware in but are not responsible if you don't.
--
Cyndi
"RRR_News" <nospam@isp.com> wrote in message news:lJKdnYwk8IKAjH7fRVn-sw@comcast.com...
Patrick,
Actually many colleges due require that you join their domain.

See the following for the Univ of Mich page 17:

http://rescomp.housing.umich.edu/tech.help/tech.help/images/Netguide04.pdf

From another college, Pace University of New York:

RRR_News wrote:
> Jeff's,
> You may suggest to your friend, if her daughter is going to college, it might be prudent to check the college's computer dept, she need to have XP Pro to connect with the campus system. It will be less expensive if she purchase her laptop/notebook with installed.
>
> I know you said money is an issue, but see if she can afford the following:
> 1. Get XP Pro installed.
> 2. To upgrade to at least 512MB of RAM, but 256MB of RAM should be the minimum. It might be cheaper to purchase from third party vendors such as www.crucial.com, than from Dell.
> 3. To get the extended warranty, PLUS the Complete Accidental coverage, for as long as she is in school.
> 4. Make sure that you get the Dell Restore CD for the unit from Dell, even if you have to pay for it. It is just $8.00, and will be well worth it.

I cannot think of a reason why a college student would actually need XP
Pro installed. XP Pro gives them the ability to join a Windows Active
Directory domain, however no college is going to be running a domain for
the students to be a member of.

Windows XP home can pull an IP and access the network just fine. It
just cannot join a domain. This should NOT be an issue.

Cyndi,
I saw that too, at some of the universities I checked.

Another thing that I saw, it seems that many universities may, and probably will run, an antivirus/spyware program from their system onto the student's PC, on a regular basis, when they are connected. And if it finds either viruses or malware, it will block access to the student's computer to their system, until you get the problem fixed. And some will even charge an additional reconnection fee, after they clean out their PC, of any problems.

The parents of college students, should make sure that their children follow the rules about the college's internet access policies, or Mom/Dad will be getting a huge bill from the college, or the RIAA.

--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

"Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:9NOEe.52$iM7.48@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
and, to add one further on to that, the university my son is going to next year has requested (and I don't know how strong that request is until I call) that they put a "specific" wireless card in their computers to hook up with their wireless system there on campus. They say that they can help if you have their hardware in but are not responsible if you don't.
--
Cyndi
"RRR_News" <nospam@isp.com> wrote in message news:lJKdnYwk8IKAjH7fRVn-sw@comcast.com...
Patrick,
Actually many colleges due require that you join their domain.

See the following for the Univ of Mich page 17:

http://rescomp.housing.umich.edu/tech.help/tech.help/images/Netguide04.pdf

From another college, Pace University of New York:

RRR_News wrote:
> Jeff's,
> You may suggest to your friend, if her daughter is going to college, it might be prudent to check the college's computer dept, she need to have XP Pro to connect with the campus system. It will be less expensive if she purchase her laptop/notebook with installed.
>
> I know you said money is an issue, but see if she can afford the following:
> 1. Get XP Pro installed.
> 2. To upgrade to at least 512MB of RAM, but 256MB of RAM should be the minimum. It might be cheaper to purchase from third party vendors such as www.crucial.com, than from Dell.
> 3. To get the extended warranty, PLUS the Complete Accidental coverage, for as long as she is in school.
> 4. Make sure that you get the Dell Restore CD for the unit from Dell, even if you have to pay for it. It is just $8.00, and will be well worth it.

I cannot think of a reason why a college student would actually need XP
Pro installed. XP Pro gives them the ability to join a Windows Active
Directory domain, however no college is going to be running a domain for
the students to be a member of.

Windows XP home can pull an IP and access the network just fine. It
just cannot join a domain. This should NOT be an issue.

..all we've read is that the computers have to have their own AV program on there, a firewall, they haven't been specific as to what OS it has to be and has to have IE on there, that's about it.......they start in 3 1/2 weeks so I have just a short time left to get the computer ready to go.......
--
Cyndi
"RRR_News" <nospam@isp.com> wrote in message news:IoOdnS-SR95HlXnfRVn-qw@comcast.com...
[...]

From another college, Pace University of New York: