AGP Is Dead, Almost

Status
Not open for further replies.
This really is not much of a surprise since pretty much any AGP system is crippled by the CPU and RAM speeds. The recent tests on Tomshardware of the 3850 showed that with a lot of new games the CPU bottlenecks the 3850 and framerates rarely will go past the 2600 and x1900 due to this.

If I were to upgrade an AGP system I would only get the 2600xt for HD video playback and HDCP in Vista. The only way I could see getting the 3850 is if I had a rare Core 2 Duo board with AGP support or an older socket 939 Athlon 64 X2.

STFU_Noob_Iownu

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2008
if u look at it from a theoretical point of view agp is better.... i mean in a hidden power kind of way... their are more possibilities with agp.... as in getting performance for gaming.....

pci-e agp
_______ __________

some can be overclocked most can be overclocked
pipelines cant be opened pipelines can be opened
slower bandwith faster bandwith
connects all app::card::eek:s

in laymens terms if u would look at the options for both types of cards you can see that agp has more to take advantage of especially since it was first designed just for gaming unlike the pci slot was....im not a agp fanboy i just like to look deeper and see what is the best product out there....i just like all of you like to get the best product that will give the best bang for the buck and give my pc performance a skyrocket.....ps... agp cards give a hell of a fps boost when u unlock pipelines and oc it .....so dont desrespect agp... peace out.....

STFU_Noob_Iownu

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2008
agp

most all can be overclocked
pipelines can be opened
faster bandwith

pci-e

less cards can be overclocked than agp
pipelines cant be opened
slower bandwith

sorry bout the double post ...