AshamanHGK

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2003
Hi All. I recently acquired a HP P-Class workstation running a single 733MHz CPU. This machine will run two PIII GHz processors no problem, but finding SLOT-1 processors is proving difficult. Can anyone tell me if buying two FCPGA to SLOT-1 adapters for two PIII 1GHz FCPGA chips would be a BAD idea? I've read lots of posts about people upgrading their systems in this way using PowerLeap, etc but have been having trouble finding more info on simply converting FCPGA to SLOT-1 without increasing clock speed.

Any help is much appreciated,
Asha'man

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Some Slot 1 cards are rated as SMP compatable, other are not. So you can't get a perfect answer. What I can tell you is that with the right cards it will work, but with the wrong cards it will fail. You should check into the Slot-T adapter from Upgradeware, it cost $20 in the U.S. and if it's SMP compatable, would allow you to run a pair of PIII 1000EB's now and upgrade later!

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>

AshamanHGK

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2003
Thanks for the reply Crash. When you say SMP compatible, is that different from "Dual Processor support (Pentium-III-S)" as advertised on the SLOT-T website?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, it means the same thing. If they are offering "Dual Processor Support", take them up on it! As previously stated, these slotkets support both Coppermine and Tualatin CPU's, so you'd be able to upgrade to a faster Coppermine CPU later and still have an upgrade path for Tualatins later.

BTW, I'm seeing matched pairs of 1.4GHz 512kk PIII-S Tualatins on Ebay for around $365, if you wanted to go full bore now!

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>