E25 DDS3 compatibility (crossposted)

Hi,

We have an E25 server that currently has a DDS1 drive in it that is
acting flaky.

I was wondering if anyone knew if this drive, a DDS3 for HP9000s, would
work in the E25:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5789981078&category=39977&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

We're running HPUX 11.

I'm hoping that I can just take the system down, replace the drive and
nothing will have to be changed. Is this so?

Any help is appreciated,

Richard

As I recall, DDS3 drives can read DDS1 formatted tapes, but not vice versa. At
the hardware level, all DDS SCSI drives are somewhat interchangable, DDS1 with
DDS1, etc. System BIOS (Wintel world only ) or hard coded operating system
limitations have prevented use of drives that do not specifically identify
themselves as HP or DEC or whatever. That's the most help I can provide.

.... Ben Myers

Ben Myers wrote:
> As I recall, DDS3 drives can read DDS1 formatted tapes, but not vice versa. At
> the hardware level, all DDS SCSI drives are somewhat interchangable, DDS1 with
> DDS1, etc. System BIOS (Wintel world only ) or hard coded operating system
> limitations have prevented use of drives that do not specifically identify
> themselves as HP or DEC or whatever. That's the most help I can provide.
>
> ... Ben Myers

Thanks, I have little experience with HPUX and HP9000 machines, I run
our linux on x86 and PPC here.

I guess we'll just pick it up and hope it works.

Take care,
Richard

If it does not work, I probably have some DDS1 drives among my curios and
artifacts here... Ben Myers

Richard Gaudette wrote:

> We have an E25 server that currently has a DDS1 drive in it that is
> acting flaky.
>
> I was wondering if anyone knew if this drive, a DDS3 for HP9000s,
> would work in the E25:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5789981078&category=39977&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

Sure, it works. DDS3 in an E-class is no problem...

> We're running HPUX 11.
>
> I'm hoping that I can just take the system down, replace the drive
> and
> nothing will have to be changed. Is this so?

Yes, almost. The DDS drives have some dip switches on the bottom. The
recommend settings for HP9000 are in the drives manual somewhere...

Besides that, You should remove the old drive from the HP-UX
configuration (You can do that with SAM). Also be sure that the
necessary drivers are configured to load.

Benjamin

Benjamin Gawert wrote:
> Richard Gaudette wrote:
>
>> We have an E25 server that currently has a DDS1 drive in it that is
>> acting flaky.
>>
>> I was wondering if anyone knew if this drive, a DDS3 for HP9000s,
>> would work in the E25:
>>
>> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5789981078&category=39977&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1
>>

> Sure, it works. DDS3 in an E-class is no problem...
>
>> We're running HPUX 11.
>>
>> I'm hoping that I can just take the system down, replace the drive and
>> nothing will have to be changed. Is this so?
>

> Yes, almost. The DDS drives have some dip switches on the bottom. The
> recommend settings for HP9000 are in the drives manual somewhere...
>
> Besides that, You should remove the old drive from the HP-UX
> configuration (You can do that with SAM). Also be sure that the
> necessary drivers are configured to load.
>
> Benjamin

Yeah, I have no experience with hpux, this was a turnkey solution
purchased before I was hired.

I really should get a e-series to play with, they usually go for $20-50
on ebay, so it wouldn't be a big investment.

Thanks for your help,
Richard