Reformatting and Partitions

My Pc has been come crippled with large amounts of spyware that make
using the PC more and more diffcult each day. I was planning to
complete a full system reformat, or system recovery as my manufacturer
describes it. The PC was shipped with two drive C and D, both being a
partition of one hard drive. I also added 3 further partitions to D,
which means there are actually 5 drives.

The computer manual says that when performing a system recovery, you
can select to just recover the C partition, but it says that a recovery
will provide an image of the PC's software when shipped, so does this
mean it will restore the original partitions and lose my current
partitions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Stuart
6 answers Last reply
More about reformatting partitions

    Have you made C smaller than the original size?
    An image would restore to a partition of the same size or larger than the
    image.
    Restoring an image should not affect other partitions.
    --
    Ron Sommer

    In article <1123327650.027758.194780@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    stuartinengland@hotmail.com, Stuart Cowan says...

    > My Pc has been come crippled with large amounts of spyware that make
    > using the PC more and more diffcult each day. I was planning to
    > complete a full system reformat, or system recovery as my manufacturer
    > describes it. The PC was shipped with two drive C and D, both being a
    > partition of one hard drive. I also added 3 further partitions to D,
    > which means there are actually 5 drives.
    >
    > The computer manual says that when performing a system recovery, you
    > can select to just recover the C partition, but it says that a recovery
    > will provide an image of the PC's software when shipped, so does this
    > mean it will restore the original partitions and lose my current
    > partitions?
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Kind Regards
    >
    > Stuart

    Stu, my thoughts are exactly as John states.....In the real world of
    full retail installs an image of that restored will resize itself to
    just fill the allocated space you specify.......In the case of these
    proprietary restore CD's they may just wipe out your entire drive
    bringing it to the factory state.......

    If it gives you an actual option to just restore there than I wouldn't
    see a problem with it.....But than again I have a HP that I messed with
    once and had 4 OS partitions on it, decided to use the restore CD and it
    wiped the "whole" drive.............

    The manual seems to clearly state an option, but if I were you I would
    back up your data and than give it a go.......Resizing & creating new
    partitions after is another whole matter though and needs third party
    partitioning software as windows is only able to create partitions in
    unallocated space & not manipulate them........John basically covered
    this with his explanation.........

    Personally, I'd rather own my own copy of an OS than deal with the
    proprietary nonsense....But that's me, as I can do what I see fit with
    the OS......I wiped out the HP of it's pre-installed OS and put my
    own.....Than again if you still have your warranty/tech support
    available you have to have the original image installed to recieve
    assistance.................Just a thought though.

    Ron, I have an E-Machine which came with a set of 3 recovery cd. My hard
    drive is also partitioned into 3 partitions. When i use the recovery disks
    to reinstall the operating system on my C: partition it wipes out the whole
    hard drive. The reason being is that the recovery disk(s) allocate 'all' of
    the hard drive for the C: partition. Any other partitions you may have put
    on the hard drive will be lost (unless the pc manufacturer tells you
    different) In my case, after reinstalling, i use partition magic to reduce
    the C: drive, then create new partitions and (because i have imaged copies
    of my other operating systems (using drive image (now norton ghost)) i can
    reimage my other operating systems back to the newly created partitions on
    the main hard drive.

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert

    "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message
    > Have you made C smaller than the original size?
    > An image would restore to a partition of the same size or larger than the
    > image.
    > Restoring an image should not affect other partitions.
    > --
    > Ron Sommer
    >
    > "Stuart Cowan" <stuartinengland@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> My Pc has been come crippled with large amounts of spyware that make
    >> using the PC more and more diffcult each day. I was planning to
    >> complete a full system reformat, or system recovery as my manufacturer
    >> describes it. The PC was shipped with two drive C and D, both being a
    >> partition of one hard drive. I also added 3 further partitions to D,
    >> which means there are actually 5 drives.
    >>
    >> The computer manual says that when performing a system recovery, you
    >> can select to just recover the C partition, but it says that a recovery
    >> will provide an image of the PC's software when shipped, so does this
    >> mean it will restore the original partitions and lose my current
    >> partitions?
    >>
    >> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> Kind Regards
    >>
    >> Stuart

    Well thanks to everyone for their help, I think just to be on the safe
    side and to pre empt any problems with my teenage sister, I will just
    back up all the data on to some nice shiny CD-Rs!

    Many Thanks once again

    Stuart

    In article <1123361125.382703.62270@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    stuartinengland@hotmail.com, Stuart Cowan says...

    > Well thanks to everyone for their help, I think just to be on the safe
    > side and to pre empt any problems with my teenage sister, I will just
    > back up all the data on to some nice shiny CD-Rs!
    >
    > Many Thanks once again
    >
    > Stuart

    Good luck......Post back on your results...........

    Stuart Cowan wrote:

    > My Pc has been come crippled with large amounts of spyware that make
    > using the PC more and more diffcult each day. I was planning to
    > complete a full system reformat, or system recovery as my manufacturer
    > describes it. The PC was shipped with two drive C and D, both being a
    > partition of one hard drive. I also added 3 further partitions to D,
    > which means there are actually 5 drives.

    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    First thing is to make sure you know the difference between drives
    LETTERS and actual physical hard drives.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

System Recovery Windows XP