Cannot reinstall XP Pro

Had XP Home. Purchased XP Pro upgrade. Due to various issues I wish to repair
or fully reinstall the XP Pro. Says "cannot continue as version on computer
is newer than on the CD." Re "newer", is it because on computer is SP2 &
all updates?
Says to uninstall using Add/ Remove programmes, but does not list there.
Xp Pro book says cannot uninstall XP Pro if----
(1) Changed H/D configuration, eg. from FAT to NTFS or created new partitions.
(2) Upgraded from NT 4.0 or 2000.
All do not apply.
Re newer version, could it be that if I uninstalled SP2 (would still have
the updates) that it would not see it as "newer" & allow me to repair or
fully reinstall.
Could you please assist?

Hi

You can use a slipstreamed XP2 CD to reinstall XP:

You can download the SP2 file (266 MBs) from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx - or
if you have a copy of the SP2 CD, you can copy the xpsp2.exe file from
that CD onto your hard disk/partition and use that:

then follow the directions in the following article to create a slipstreamed
XP CD:

http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"jhai" <jhai@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Had XP Home. Purchased XP Pro upgrade. Due to various issues I wish to
> repair
> or fully reinstall the XP Pro. Says "cannot continue as version on
> computer
> is newer than on the CD." Re "newer", is it because on computer is SP2
> &
> all updates?
> Says to uninstall using Add/ Remove programmes, but does not list there.
> Xp Pro book says cannot uninstall XP Pro if----
> (1) Changed H/D configuration, eg. from FAT to NTFS or created new
> partitions.
> (2) Upgraded from NT 4.0 or 2000.
> All do not apply.
> Re newer version, could it be that if I uninstalled SP2 (would still have
> the updates) that it would not see it as "newer" & allow me to repair or
> fully reinstall.
> Could you please assist?

Jhai, you will need to slipstream SP2 to a retail copy of XP. For
slipstreaming information visit my website http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Click the Win XP Faq button and take a look at question 83. Question 80 will
also give you details of the download site for SP2.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org

"jhai" <jhai@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Had XP Home. Purchased XP Pro upgrade. Due to various issues I wish to
> repair
> or fully reinstall the XP Pro. Says "cannot continue as version on
> computer
> is newer than on the CD." Re "newer", is it because on computer is SP2
> &
> all updates?
> Says to uninstall using Add/ Remove programmes, but does not list there.
> Xp Pro book says cannot uninstall XP Pro if----
> (1) Changed H/D configuration, eg. from FAT to NTFS or created new
> partitions.
> (2) Upgraded from NT 4.0 or 2000.
> All do not apply.
> Re newer version, could it be that if I uninstalled SP2 (would still have
> the updates) that it would not see it as "newer" & allow me to repair or
> fully reinstall.
> Could you please assist?

You need XPSP2 Slipstreamed CD.
AutoStreamer