FILE ENCRYPTION IN WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION

a b 8 Security
August 6, 2005 9:14:03 AM

I am confused! Having recently changed from Norton Security to Zone Alarm
Security I have been getting a number of security questions - i.e allow/don't
allow internet access, etc..

One question related to a file updsvc.exe. Not knowing what this referred to
I blocked it. I later discovered that this file relates to a Teknum Systems
applic. which appears on my PC and, indeed, on my Daughters's PC also running
XP. However, in searches on the net I have received conflicting info on
whether this applic is in fact spyware or not. I have installed Spybot and
run this and also the anti-spyware part of Zone Alarm Security. Spybot picked
up on Teknum and "fixed" things!!

Now, when I attempt to open previously encrypted files I get a message to
say that a file is missing and the application needs to be re-installed -
pointing me to the Teknum Systems site via www.handybits.com or some such!

I am concerned because a search on Microsoft.com for Teknum, or for
updsvc.exe, results in nothing found.

QUESTION: Is Tecknum Systems Applic part of the XP OS system or has my file
encryption software been hijacked by spyware?

Any info appreciated, thanks.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 6, 2005 1:45:40 PM

Hi,

This is unrelated to WindowsXP, which is why you find nothing on the
Microsoft site. The file updsvc.exe is from Teknum systems, which has
installed third-party software on your system for various purposes. Teknum
distributes a variety of utilities via the handybits.com web site, only you
can tell us which ones were installed.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Adrian Stephenson" <AdrianStephenson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:7A0DC585-2335-4018-8620-E0EB3B5B8B2D@microsoft.com...
>I am confused! Having recently changed from Norton Security to Zone Alarm
> Security I have been getting a number of security questions - i.e
> allow/don't
> allow internet access, etc..
>
> One question related to a file updsvc.exe. Not knowing what this referred
> I blocked it. I later discovered that this file relates to a Teknum
> Systems
> applic. which appears on my PC and, indeed, on my Daughters's PC also
> running
> XP. However, in searches on the net I have received conflicting info on
> whether this applic is in fact spyware or not. I have installed Spybot and
> run this and also the anti-spyware part of Zone Alarm Security. Spybot
> picked
> up on Teknum and "fixed" things!!
>
> Now, when I attempt to open previously encrypted files I get a message to
> say that a file is missing and the application needs to be re-installed -
> pointing me to the Teknum Systems site via www.handybits.com or some such!
>
> I am concerned because a search on Microsoft.com for Teknum, or for
> updsvc.exe, results in nothing found.
>
> QUESTION: Is Tecknum Systems Applic part of the XP OS system or has my
> file
> encryption software been hijacked by spyware?
>
> Any info appreciated, thanks.

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 6, 2005 4:55:02 PM

As I do not recall ever loading the Teknum Software, the problem facing me
now is to determine whether it is malicious, if so whether it should be
removed, how to remove it, and how to restore the normal Windows File
Encryption software!

Any further help from anyone would be gratefully accepted ................
and thanks to Rick for his response to my initial query!

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is unrelated to WindowsXP, which is why you find nothing on the
> Microsoft site. The file updsvc.exe is from Teknum systems, which has
> installed third-party software on your system for various purposes. Teknum
> distributes a variety of utilities via the handybits.com web site, only you
> can tell us which ones were installed.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Adrian Stephenson" <AdrianStephenson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:7A0DC585-2335-4018-8620-E0EB3B5B8B2D@microsoft.com...
> >I am confused! Having recently changed from Norton Security to Zone Alarm
> > Security I have been getting a number of security questions - i.e
> > allow/don't
> > allow internet access, etc..
> >
> > One question related to a file updsvc.exe. Not knowing what this referred
> > I blocked it. I later discovered that this file relates to a Teknum
> > Systems
> > applic. which appears on my PC and, indeed, on my Daughters's PC also
> > running
> > XP. However, in searches on the net I have received conflicting info on
> > whether this applic is in fact spyware or not. I have installed Spybot and
> > run this and also the anti-spyware part of Zone Alarm Security. Spybot
> > picked
> > up on Teknum and "fixed" things!!
> >
> > Now, when I attempt to open previously encrypted files I get a message to
> > say that a file is missing and the application needs to be re-installed -
> > pointing me to the Teknum Systems site via www.handybits.com or some such!
> >
> > I am concerned because a search on Microsoft.com for Teknum, or for
> > updsvc.exe, results in nothing found.
> >
> > QUESTION: Is Tecknum Systems Applic part of the XP OS system or has my
> > file
> > encryption software been hijacked by spyware?
> >
> > Any info appreciated, thanks.

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 7, 2005 2:10:57 AM

Hi,

I would simply remove it if you are unaware of any use for it in your
system. If is is something you were using, you should know soon enough.

By the way, there is no encryption available natively in WinXP Home systems,
it is only included in WinXP Pro - perhaps this is why the Teknum software
is installed? One of the utilities offered is an encryption algorithm.

--

message news:49211DCC-7C68-4761-83ED-C1A3A7FDF3A3@microsoft.com...

!