Sign in with
Your question

Please, please tell me that I did it Right!!

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
February 4, 2003 9:28:31 PM

Hi all,

I've recently bought a new case (Lian Li PC6099) which ment that I had to transfer all my components from one case to another, so i though that while I was at it i'd also upgrade my Heat sink for the CPU from the standard HSF that comes with a P4 2GHz to a Thermaltake P4 SPARK 7 cooler.

I also purchased some Arctic Silver 3, as i'm lead to believe that, that is the best stuff to use.

(NOTE: I have never done this before in my life)

I managed everything alright but when it came to applying the Thermal Compound I got a bit stuck, everywhere that I read about applying this stuff said to put a tiny amount on the die (core) for the CPU and then smooth it out nicely over the top, like Icing on a cake.

Now, first of all, all the tutorials that i read were using an AMD or and older CPU where the die (core) was easily found as a small "square" in the middle of the chip that was usually slightly raised (or lower or level, but in any case it is visually easy to find, see this tutorial for example: http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions....).

But with my P4 CPU all it is ,is a flat metal chip, no raised bits, no litle squares, nothing easily identifiable as a die (core) to put my Thermal Compound onto. eg. of my chip: http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20020402/
(unless that little shiny square was it down in the bottom left hand corner of the chip, though I can't believe that tiny little thing is all I put my Thermal paste onto??)

So, was it right for me to just put a thin layer of Arctic Silver over the WHOLE silver part of the CPU (basically over the whole chip)?

I don't know if I've done it right, so if anyone could direct me to a detailed, even visual tutorial of applying Thermal Compound to a Pentium 4 chip like mine, so that I could double check I'd much appreciate it.

right now i'm runnung the CPU at full Usage for a few hours to see whether it over heats and blows up on me :-( I only hope it won't

cheers

<font color=blue> When is a pile of sand a pile of sand? one grain . . . two grains?</font color=blue>

More about : please

February 4, 2003 9:51:14 PM

You sure did do it right !

The PIV top surface isn't all the die but Intel added a heatspreader so that the whole suface contacts the heatsink and improves effieciency ! Basically the thermal compounds job is just to make sure there is phyisical contact between the two surfaces...

Tim

ps: Download Motherboard Monitor this will give you a relitive impression of the temperature you are running at ! Anything between 29-48 is great ! Up to 55 and you still aren't in danger although running at these temps is not ideal.

<font color=blue>Its winter now... So how come my CPU temp is still </font color=blue><b><font color=red>55C</font color=red></b>
February 5, 2003 12:05:24 AM

yes thats right... an extreemly thin layer over the entire of the heat spreader.
You really dont need much at all, just enough to fill the microscopic gaps and thats all.

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires it and mortal men Covet it, <i>My Precioussssssss</i></b>
Related resources
February 5, 2003 12:37:26 AM

thanks for the replys, at least now I know that I did one bit of the process right.

And if you could check out my results, so to speak, and the questions I asked in ". . . but did I do it to thick?" in the 'Cooler and Heatsinks' Forum, It'd help alot

thanks

<font color=blue> When is a pile of sand a pile of sand? one grain . . . two grains?</font color=blue>
February 5, 2003 3:20:02 AM

WOW! A PERFECT example of EXACTLY how a thread should go! A user ATTEMPTS to read up, but fails to find the answer, then asks the forum. The forum replies in straight answers with some constructive criticism as well as praise! WOW!

I think this is one for the record books! LOL!!!!

This post is guaranteed fresh for up to 7 days after the date printed on the box.
February 5, 2003 3:18:41 PM

<evil glint in his eye> "Flame ON!!!"

Let's all settle our political differences with a LAN.
!