Should I use Standby mode??

I have a 2400 system. It is generally on all day.

I use it quite a bit, but there are lengthy periods (1-6 hours) where it
doesn't get used.

Should I get in the habit of putting it in standby when I anticipate such a
lengthy non-use period??

Also, is there a way for me to create a hot-key combo to put it in standby??
I prefer not to set the power switch to do this.

Mel

MB_ wrote:

>I have a 2400 system. It is generally on all day.
>
>I use it quite a bit, but there are lengthy periods (1-6 hours) where it
>doesn't get used.
>
>Should I get in the habit of putting it in standby when I anticipate such a
>lengthy non-use period??
>
>Also, is there a way for me to create a hot-key combo to put it in standby??
>I prefer not to set the power switch to do this.
>
>Mel

I am not familiar with your particular system. Is it a desktop or laptop?

There is really no reason to put a desktop into standby or hibernation
except power savings -- which isn't much savings.

In standby, the system continues to use power. I wouldn't use that for a
laptop.

I have an Inspiron 8200 laptop. I usually use hibernate rather than
shutting the system down when I am not using it. The only reason I
hibernate rather than shutdown is the startup time. If you put a laptop
into standby and then put it in a case to carry somewhere, you will find
that it has gotten VERY hot, as the system is using power but the fans
aren't working (and can't cool anyway in a case).

You troublemaker, you. Whether or not to leave a desktop computer on or off,
or to put it in Standby or Hibernation, is one of the longest running
arguments-without-a-correct-answer in the history of usenet. It's a matter
of preference.

Laptops are a different story, because they typically run on batteries.
Standby (and Hibernation) were designed to help laptop users conserve their
battery power. In a desktop, it's completely up to you.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
> I have a 2400 system. It is generally on all day.
>
> I use it quite a bit, but there are lengthy periods (1-6 hours) where it
> doesn't get used.
>
> Should I get in the habit of putting it in standby when I anticipate such
> lengthy non-use period??
>
> Also, is there a way for me to create a hot-key combo to put it in
standby??
> I prefer not to set the power switch to do this.
>
> Mel

"MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
>I have a 2400 system. It is generally on all day.
>
> I use it quite a bit, but there are lengthy periods (1-6 hours) where it
> doesn't get used.
>
> Should I get in the habit of putting it in standby when I anticipate such
> a lengthy non-use period??
>
> Also, is there a way for me to create a hot-key combo to put it in
> standby??
> I prefer not to set the power switch to do this.
>
> Mel

Mel,

Just go into Power Settings in Control Panel and set it to automatically go
into Standby if it isn't used for a period of time.

You can setup a hotkey, but I don't remember the particular command.
Google it and you'll find it.

Tom

Tim

Instead of a screen saver why not just have it turn off the Monitor. That is
what uses the most power. Tim

> "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
>>I have a 2400 system. It is generally on all day.
>>
>> I use it quite a bit, but there are lengthy periods (1-6 hours) where it
>> doesn't get used.
>>
>> Should I get in the habit of putting it in standby when I anticipate such
>> a lengthy non-use period??
>>
>> Also, is there a way for me to create a hot-key combo to put it in
>> standby??
>> I prefer not to set the power switch to do this.
>>
>> Mel
>>

> Mel,
>
> Just go into Power Settings in Control Panel and set it to automatically
> go into Standby if it isn't used for a period of time.
>
> You can setup a hotkey, but I don't remember the particular command.
> Google it and you'll find it.
>
> Tom

Wow folks, very interesting answers.

Maybe I should just leave it on!!!
(The screensaver goes on after awhile and then the monitor goes off after
awhile)

Mel

MB_ wrote:
> I have a 2400 system. It is generally on all day.
>
> I use it quite a bit, but there are lengthy periods (1-6 hours) where it
> doesn't get used.
>
> Should I get in the habit of putting it in standby when I anticipate such a
> lengthy non-use period??
>
> Also, is there a way for me to create a hot-key combo to put it in standby??
> I prefer not to set the power switch to do this.

I don't know of a hot key but you can do it through the 'turn off
computer' function from the Start menu in Windows XP (and 98 etc. if I
remember correctly).