How do i create a partion

Hi all need help here i have basic knowledge of computers.I own a laptop and
have windows xp sp2 installed.I wanted to re-install it and create another 3
partion so i had 4 drives on the memory.Every time i try to it says i cant
delete partion as files are needed for instalation.Can any 1 help me please.
10 answers Last reply
More about create partion

    To partition with Windows XP you can do that while formatting.

    Make the settings in your bios to boot from cd.
    Insert Windows XP cd and do as told here

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313348

    You cannot do that with Windows XP when it is already installed.

    --
    Regards,
    Pramit Roy

    "scottbhoy" wrote:

    > Hi all need help here i have basic knowledge of computers.I own a laptop and
    > have windows xp sp2 installed.I wanted to re-install it and create another 3
    > partion so i had 4 drives on the memory.Every time i try to it says i cant
    > delete partion as files are needed for instalation.Can any 1 help me please.

    Hi,

    Where are you installing from? A recovery partition on the system or from a
    generic/retail CD?

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    In news:4E65408A-9747-46CE-96BA-485CE9FFCAB6@microsoft.com,
    scottbhoy <scottbhoy@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > Hi all need help here i have basic knowledge of computers.I own
    > laptop and have windows xp sp2 installed.I wanted to re-install
    > it
    > and create another 3 partion so i had 4 drives on the
    > memory.Every
    > time i try to it says i cant delete partion as files are needed
    > for
    > instalation.Can any 1 help me please.

    Are you trying to repartition your drive from within Windows? You
    can't do that, since that would leave Windows without a leg to
    stand on.
    Just boot from the Windows XP CD (change the BIOS boot order if
    necessary to accomplish this) and follow the prompts for a clean
    installation (delete the existing partition by pressing "D" when
    prompted, then create new ones as desired).

    You can find detailed instructions here:

    or here http://windowsxp.mvps.org/XPClean.htm

    or here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    How about using the subst line in the autoexec.bat file and create
    artificial partitions? This way a partition never runs out of room until
    the entire drive is exhausted.

    --
    Don
    Vancouver, USA

    > In news:4E65408A-9747-46CE-96BA-485CE9FFCAB6@microsoft.com,
    > scottbhoy <scottbhoy@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    >
    >> Hi all need help here i have basic knowledge of computers.I own a
    >> laptop and have windows xp sp2 installed.I wanted to re-install it
    >> and create another 3 partion so i had 4 drives on the memory.Every
    >> time i try to it says i cant delete partion as files are needed for
    >> instalation.Can any 1 help me please.
    >

    > Are you trying to repartition your drive from within Windows? You can't do
    > that, since that would leave Windows without a leg to stand on.
    > Just boot from the Windows XP CD (change the BIOS boot order if necessary
    > to accomplish this) and follow the prompts for a clean installation
    > (delete the existing partition by pressing "D" when prompted, then create
    > new ones as desired).
    >
    > You can find detailed instructions here:
    > http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
    >
    > or here http://windowsxp.mvps.org/XPClean.htm
    >
    > or here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm

    > Please reply to the newsgroup

    "scottbhoy" <scottbhoy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all need help here i have basic knowledge of computers.I own a laptop
    > and
    > have windows xp sp2 installed.I wanted to re-install it and create another
    > 3
    > partion so i had 4 drives on the memory.Every time i try to it says i cant
    > delete partion as files are needed for instalation.Can any 1 help me
    > please.

    Exactly what do you hope to gain by partitioning your hard drive?

    Justme

    Some like to have partitions.. my preference is to split a my 40's into two
    equal parts..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "JustMe" <ohmygosh@wowspam.com> wrote in message
    > "scottbhoy" <scottbhoy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi all need help here i have basic knowledge of computers.I own a laptop
    >> and
    >> have windows xp sp2 installed.I wanted to re-install it and create
    >> another 3
    >> partion so i had 4 drives on the memory.Every time i try to it says i
    >> cant
    >> delete partion as files are needed for instalation.Can any 1 help me
    >> please.
    >
    > Exactly what do you hope to gain by partitioning your hard drive?

    Go to your hard drive manufacturer's web site and download the floppy
    utility, NOT the CD ROM utility and save it to a floppy.

    Boot up with the floppy in the floppy drive and the software to format and
    partition your hard drive will load. Make sure to set the clusters at 4K.

    Alias

    "scottbhoy" wrote

    > Hi all need help here i have basic knowledge of computers.I own a laptop
    > and
    > have windows xp sp2 installed.I wanted to re-install it and create another
    > 3
    > partion so i had 4 drives on the memory.Every time i try to it says i cant
    > delete partion as files are needed for instalation.Can any 1 help me
    > please.

    If you are re-installing using a recovery disk then you have no option but
    to use third party software (partition magic) to create partitions. The
    problem is, in most cases, the recovery disk restores the system back to
    factory conditions which basically means it allocated 'all' of your hard
    drive as the C: partition. If this is the case you will ne something like
    partition magic to first reduce your C: partition to a more manageable size,
    say 15 to20GB. This will then leave the rest of the drive as 'unallocated
    space'. You can then create new partitions from within xp or simply carry on
    using partition magic to create the necessary other partitions.
    If, on the other hand, you have a full retail boxed copy of XP then you
    'will' have the option to create partitions during installation. For more
    information on partitioning and reformatting the drive using a full retail
    copy (not a recovery disk) visit my website http:xphelandsupport.mvps.org
    Click the Win XP Faq button and take a look at question 41. For installing
    xp using a retail copy also check out question 85. Please note that these
    options 'do not' work with manufacturers' recovery disks.

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert

    "scottbhoy" <scottbhoy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all need help here i have basic knowledge of computers.I own a laptop
    > and
    > have windows xp sp2 installed.I wanted to re-install it and create another
    > 3
    > partion so i had 4 drives on the memory.Every time i try to it says i cant
    > delete partion as files are needed for instalation.Can any 1 help me
    > please.

    I understand that, my preference is a single partition. It just appeared
    from the way the questions was asked by the poster that they really don't
    have a clue. When they ask questions like "I wanted to re-install it and
    create another 3 partion so i had 4 drives on the memory" I begin to wonder.

    > Justme
    >
    > Some like to have partitions.. my preference is to split a my 40's into
    > two equal parts..
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >

    > "JustMe" <ohmygosh@wowspam.com> wrote in message
    >> "scottbhoy" <scottbhoy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi all need help here i have basic knowledge of computers.I own a laptop
    >>> and
    >>> have windows xp sp2 installed.I wanted to re-install it and create
    >>> another 3
    >>> partion so i had 4 drives on the memory.Every time i try to it says i
    >>> cant
    >>> delete partion as files are needed for instalation.Can any 1 help me
    >>> please.
    >>
    >> Exactly what do you hope to gain by partitioning your hard drive?

    Just

    You are not wrong to wonder.. :-)

    --

    >I understand that, my preference is a single partition. It just appeared
    >from the way the questions was asked by the poster that they really don't
    >have a clue. When they ask questions like "I wanted to re-install it and
    >create another 3 partion so i had 4 drives on the memory" I begin to
    >wonder.
    >

    > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >> Justme
    >>
    >> Some like to have partitions.. my preference is to split a my 40's into
    >> two equal parts..
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Hall
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >>

    >> "JustMe" <ohmygosh@wowspam.com> wrote in message
    >>> "scottbhoy" <scottbhoy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Exactly what do you hope to gain by partitioning your hard drive?

Windows XP