Sign in with
Your question

System Advice (Answers Needed)

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
February 4, 2003 10:39:19 PM

Well once again the time has come to upgrade, and I can say atleast this time it was 2 years instead of 6 months. I'm upgrading the CPU, MOBO, and this means the MEM, PSU, and I guess the case now too. I'm just not happy with the performance of the system that I have now. I have some good periphials to start with:

Visiontek GeForce 3 Ti 200
SB Audigy SC
Good CDRW
and Pioneer 16X DVD

these I would like to build around. The problem I think I have is a complete overload of info. I would like to purchase a MOBO that allows for future CPU upgrades. I used to be pro AMD the last time around but am slightly confused as to which direction to go this time. I would like to go with a CPU in the 2.2 to 2.6 range but with the DDR vs. RAMBUS and syn. vs. asyn. MEM and the PC 2100 to 2700 crap and beyond I'm not sure what to get anymore. And the chipsets on the MOBO's well thats another story SIS vs. Intel vs. N Force 2. Seems the more I research the worse it gets. Was looking at a P4S8X MOBO with 2.53 and Corsair PC2700. Now I'm wondering wether this good or now the have they have P4G8X coming out. Then theres the old AMD vs. Intel do I want Intel or is AMD ok (I believe that the XP 2400 to 2600's are very close in price to Intel 2.4 to 2.6's). I here AMD runs hotter that Intel. Then the MOBO's (Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, Abit, etc.) christ what brand to choose. So enough of the rambling. Give me some advice here this is what I would LIKE to have (but might not be necessary).

A MOBO that offers:
Serial ATA support (for future upgrade)
AGP 8X (same)
UDMA 100 (prefer. 133 for future)
Allows atleast to 3. ghz or above for Intel
or something similiar for AMD
AND IS STABLE

CPU: I'm not sure but something that can kick some A##
Works well with somewhat 3D intensive games (Like Morrowind, NWN, Simcity 4 and what not I try to play these I mean)
Strong in Music and Video playback.

Memory:
I have NO idea here I heard Corsair, Crucial, Apacer, Kingston etc. etc.
And what is best to run with the MOBO and what config. to run it in.

PSU:
I would assume Enermax is safe but what Wattage not sure (suppose this depends on CPU)

FAN:
Not sure here either, dual Fan blah blah (I only have so many hours a day to research and read reviews)

And cases I'm at an loss for words Modded, one extra, ten extra fans GOD I could spend 300 or more just on this!

I would like to spend NO More than 800$ but slight over run is neg. depending on advantages reaped. (sugg. places to look would be appreciated)

Sorry this is sooo long but it seems the more I research the more variables, and hence the more questions. I just would like a decent system with flexibilty for the future. Thanks for any advice you can give on best bet purchases. I knoe everyone has the own opinion but all are welcomed as experience is knowledge. Thanks.

MOBO? SCSI? IDE? IUD? Christ, college calculus was easier!

More about : system advice answers needed

February 4, 2003 11:13:08 PM

Suggested components

CPU:- Athlon XP 2100+ (beats 2.2 GHz P4 Northwood+RDRAM) or Athlon XP 2600+ (333 MHz FSB)
Mobo:- ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
RAM:- 2 x 256 MB Corsair XMS PC3200 CL2.0 DDR

<b> "You can put lipstick on a pig, but hey, it's still a pig!" - RobD </b>
!