Safely remove hardward does not work with external drive

When I try to "safely remove" my external hard drive I get a error message
that reads "the device cannot be stopped right now. Try back a little later."

In "device manager" the radio button is check for "optimized for performance".

This is not a new problem. It has never worked with my external hard drive.

the drive is a deskstar 160gig from hitachi. When I bought it from compusa
they had pkg it with an external case. I'm not sure if that has anything to
do with it or not.

I'm running xp pro.

I hope someone can help.

Hi,

On a side note, you will want to make sure System Restore is NOT set to monitor the
external drive.

Keeping System Restore Healthy
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/healthy.html

--