Safely remove hardward does not work with external drive

When I try to "safely remove" my external hard drive I get a error message
that reads "the device cannot be stopped right now. Try back a little later."

In "device manager" the radio button is check for "optimized for performance".

This is not a new problem. It has never worked with my external hard drive.

the drive is a deskstar 160gig from hitachi. When I bought it from compusa
they had pkg it with an external case. I'm not sure if that has anything to
do with it or not.

I'm running xp pro.

I hope someone can help.
1 answer Last reply
More about safely remove hardward work external drive

    Hi,

    On a side note, you will want to make sure System Restore is NOT set to monitor the
    external drive.

    Keeping System Restore Healthy
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/healthy.html

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    reedski wrote:
    > When I try to "safely remove" my external hard drive I
    > get a error message that reads "the device cannot be
    > stopped right now. Try back a little later."
    >
    > In "device manager" the radio button is check for
    > "optimized for performance".
    >
    > This is not a new problem. It has never worked with my
    > external hard drive.
    >
    > the drive is a deskstar 160gig from hitachi. When I
    > bought it from compusa they had pkg it with an external
    > case. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it or
    > not.
    >
    > I'm running xp pro.
    >
    > I hope someone can help.

External Drive External Hard Drive Windows XP