flat panel 17inch

i have a 2400 system. if i want to add a flat panel (lcd) 17inch monitor,
do i need to upgrade my video card?(system has the regular video card)
8 answers Last reply
More about flat panel 17inch

    Best way to determine that is to go to the Dell site and register your
    service tag, You'll eventually find the area for suggested upgrades.
    Generally speaking, most LCD's will have a compatible vga port.
    YMMV

    "tim mccoy" <hzmt@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > i have a 2400 system. if i want to add a flat panel (lcd) 17inch monitor,
    > do i need to upgrade my video card?(system has the regular video card)

    Your 2400 will drive a flat panel fine, but only through analog. Since your
    machine does not have an AGP slot, this is your best solution. Samsung makes
    some of the best flat panels when using analog.

    Tom
    "tim mccoy" <hzmt@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > i have a 2400 system. if i want to add a flat panel (lcd) 17inch monitor,
    > do i need to upgrade my video card?(system has the regular video card)

    the dimension 2400 has intel 845 extreme graphics which is capable of
    1600x1200 maximum resolution. a typical 17" flat panel monitor is ideally
    set to 1280x1024. you will be fine, but a small number of tfts have only
    digital interface connections. you need analog, and the vast majority are
    analog only or provide both analog and digital interface connections.

    "tim mccoy" <hzmt@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > i have a 2400 system. if i want to add a flat panel (lcd) 17inch monitor,
    > do i need to upgrade my video card?(system has the regular video card)

    Just curious. I've never seen a digital only flat panel, just either analog
    only or analog/digital. Who makes digital only's?

    Tom
    > the dimension 2400 has intel 845 extreme graphics which is capable of
    > 1600x1200 maximum resolution. a typical 17" flat panel monitor is ideally
    > set to 1280x1024. you will be fine, but a small number of tfts have only
    > digital interface connections. you need analog, and the vast majority are
    > analog only or provide both analog and digital interface connections.
    >
    > "tim mccoy" <hzmt@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > i have a 2400 system. if i want to add a flat panel (lcd) 17inch
    monitor,
    > > do i need to upgrade my video card?(system has the regular video card)

    I was just gonna post the same question. Who does DVI (or whatever else
    digital format there may be) only?

    > Just curious. I've never seen a digital only flat panel, just either
    analog
    > only or analog/digital. Who makes digital only's?
    >
    > Tom
    > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > the dimension 2400 has intel 845 extreme graphics which is capable of
    > > 1600x1200 maximum resolution. a typical 17" flat panel monitor is
    ideally
    > > set to 1280x1024. you will be fine, but a small number of tfts have
    only
    > > digital interface connections. you need analog, and the vast majority
    are
    > > analog only or provide both analog and digital interface connections.
    > >
    > > "tim mccoy" <hzmt@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > > i have a 2400 system. if i want to add a flat panel (lcd) 17inch
    > monitor,
    > > > do i need to upgrade my video card?(system has the regular video card)

    good point, i suppose the displays with only a dvi port can also be used
    with a dvi to vga converter cable. dvi only is found on apple flat screens
    and on large screen tv/monitors..

    "Thomas G. Marshall" <tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com>
    wrote in message news:Pmndc.4024$QQ6.2868@nwrdny02.gnilink.net...

    > I was just gonna post the same question. Who does DVI (or whatever else
    > digital format there may be) only?

    > > Just curious. I've never seen a digital only flat panel, just either
    > analog
    > > only or analog/digital. Who makes digital only's?
    > >
    > > Tom
    > > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > > the dimension 2400 has intel 845 extreme graphics which is capable of
    > > > 1600x1200 maximum resolution. a typical 17" flat panel monitor is
    > ideally
    > > > set to 1280x1024. you will be fine, but a small number of tfts have
    > only
    > > > digital interface connections. you need analog, and the vast majority
    > are
    > > > analog only or provide both analog and digital interface connections.
    > > >
    > > > "tim mccoy" <hzmt@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > monitor,

    NO NO NO.

    A "converter" cable like that would only work for DVI-A. Here's a great
    blurb I found at
    http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/DVI_monitor_cables.html#adapters

    <BLURB>
    About DVI: DVI is the new interface for Digital flat panel LCD monitors and
    video cards. There are a number of versions of DVI, including DVI-I (analog
    & Digital together) , DVI-D (only the Digital signal) and DVI-A (only the
    Analog signal) . Why was DVI created? Wasn't DFP enough? Well here's the
    history. The P&D or Plug and Display standard, which was ratified by the
    Video Electronics Standards Association in 1997, tried throwing everything
    into one connector including Digital and analog interfaces, USB and
    FireWire, all on one connector. This was very expensive and considered more
    than was necessary especially for monitor and video card manufacturers. DFP
    on the other hand eliminated all this excess and has only a Digital
    interface for Flat panal displays. The reason DFP isn't still being used is
    its maximum supported resolution is "SXGA", or 1280 x 1024 pixels. This will
    not be enough for a future filled with HDTV, which has a resolution of 1920
    x 1080 pixels.
    Dell has an excellent DVI technolgy brief.
    Tech TV has a few pages on Flat panal Monitor Standards.

    Important: In DVI like anything else, Analog only talks to analog, and
    digital only talks to digital. Don't try using a DFP or DVI-D (Digital only)
    monitor through an adapter to a VGA (analog) viddeo card, it will not work!
    While converters are possible, nobody has any on the market. The problems
    with making a cost effective "Generic" analog/digital converter which would
    support a very wide range of monitors and video cards is apparantly too
    great.
    </BLURB>

    Thomas

    > good point, i suppose the displays with only a dvi port can also be used
    > with a dvi to vga converter cable. dvi only is found on apple flat
    screens
    > and on large screen tv/monitors..
    >
    > "Thomas G. Marshall"
    <tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com>
    > wrote in message news:Pmndc.4024$QQ6.2868@nwrdny02.gnilink.net...
    > >
    > > I was just gonna post the same question. Who does DVI (or whatever else
    > > digital format there may be) only?
    > >

    > > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > > > Just curious. I've never seen a digital only flat panel, just either
    > > analog
    > > > only or analog/digital. Who makes digital only's?
    > > >
    > > > Tom
    > > > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > ideally
    > > only
    > > are

    > > > monitor,
    > card)

    And this statement of mine begs yet another question:

    When Dell refers to DVI all over the place, are they uniformly referring to
    DVI-I and/or DVI-D or are they still in the analog game?

    Until I started digging, I had thought I had this alllllll figgered out.
    :-|

    wrote in message news:aXydc.4551$QQ6.722@nwrdny02.gnilink.net...

> [...]
    > While converters are possible, nobody has any on the market. The problems
    > with making a cost effective "Generic" analog/digital converter which
    would
    > support a very wide range of monitors and video cards is apparantly too
    > great.
    > </BLURB>
    >
    > Thomas
    >

    > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > good point, i suppose the displays with only a dvi port can also be used
    > > with a dvi to vga converter cable. dvi only is found on apple flat
    > screens
    > > and on large screen tv/monitors..
    > >
    > > "Thomas G. Marshall"
    > <tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com>
    > > wrote in message news:Pmndc.4024$QQ6.2868@nwrdny02.gnilink.net...
    > > >
    > > > I was just gonna post the same question. Who does DVI (or whatever

Dell Graphics Cards Monitors Computers