Question: Tualatin and its adapter

damianfaye

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2003
Ok, I posted before regarding the Pentium III and Celeron.

The Tualatin has a different core than the Coppermine, that's known... but... the Tualatin has a .13 micron (construction?), a low voltage, a FSB of 100 Mhz, higher clock speeds, AND a different pin arrangement. IF these are ALL the differences AND my mobo (Intel 82810) supports .13 micron, FSB of 100 Mhz, adjustable voltage, why might I not be ABLE to make this CPU work in my mobo? I know I know, the Intel 810 is a piece of sh..t and CRASHMAN hates it, but heck..! I can't get the money to buy a new mobo! So, don't tell me "Get a new mobo"... guys, I can't do it.. sniiff... :-(
Anyway, what's with the different pin arrangement in the Tualatintalatin? What's all that about huh?

Isn't the .13 micron the most important change? If my mobo supports it; then is it necessary to get the "FC-PGA to FC-PGA2" adapter? If so, where can I get one?

Also, if I get the adapter, shall I look forward to see a slower perfomance than the Tualatin running without the adapter?

If somebody can answer this questions they'll do me a favor.
Thanks in advance, and congrats to CRASHMAN for being such an expert. How did you do it man?

PD: What's gonna happen if I use a non-300W power supply when my card requires one? The card does work, but... what's going on with this?
PD2: Where in hell can I get a program to overclock the FSB? My mobo has nooooooo jumpers! Poor me... snifff..

Thanks again,
Leo.-

Trying to make this piece of crap work better...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by damianfaye on 02/04/03 09:40 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Upgradeware and Powerleap both make adapters for your socket. The main difference is that some pins which were unused on previous boards were turned into safety switches, ie "don't power up if you don't get a signal to this pin". Intel did that on purpose to force you to buy a new board, they were trying to get you to consider a P4 instead. The adapters work by wiring the signal from one pin to another pin. The Powerleap adapter includes a voltage resistor module that you don't need for your board.

The cheaper Upgradeware adapter still cost $30 in the U.S., which approaches the price of...an inexpensive motherboard.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>

TRENDING THREADS