Sign in with
Your question

switching CPU's

Last response: in CPUs
February 5, 2003 1:29:49 AM

I have a hp pavilion intel celron proccessor 531 mhz 64 mb ram and another sony vaio 2.5 ghz 460mb ram
I was wondering can I just take the cpu from both these computers and switch them? will it work

so the sony viao would have 531 mhz and hp pavilion would have 2.5 ghz.

More about : switching cpu

February 5, 2003 1:38:09 AM

No, you can't. These CPU's need diffenet socket, different platform

<b> "You can put lipstick on a pig, but hey, it's still a pig!" - RobD </b>
February 5, 2003 1:48:04 AM

That's a negative there chief.

Wish you could though. Sure would be handy putting a p2-400 in the old p133 computer

It's all good ^_^
Related resources
February 5, 2003 1:53:13 AM

LOL no...

Thats like swapping the engines over between a VW Beetle and a Lamboughini Diablo.

Methinks they wont fit!!!

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires it and mortal men Covet it, <i>My Precioussssssss</i></b>
February 5, 2003 1:57:27 AM

Ever watched

Monster...Monster Garage...Monster...Monster Garage

If Jessy James can't do it, it can't be done.

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...
February 5, 2003 3:35:15 AM

nope. drawing a blank... some american show was it?

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires it and mortal men Covet it, <i>My Precioussssssss</i></b>
February 5, 2003 2:57:57 PM

hehehe

That show is AWESOME!!!

did u see the Ambulance with the 426 Hemi (i believe it was the 426 Hemi wasnt it?) mounted in the REAR makign it do wheelies?? LoL

Or the Mustang 5.0 they turned into a Lawnmower??
Or the Ford Ranger they turned into a Garbage truck?? hahahaha

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>
February 5, 2003 4:00:26 PM

Quote:
Thats like swapping the engines over between a VW Beetle and a Lamboughini Diablo.

Methinks they wont fit!!!

Not without effort anyway. Way back when I was in high school, I knew someone who ripped apart his VW Bug, taking out the backseat, the engine, and the transmission. Then he moved the firewall forward, put in a small-block V8, a new transmission, and an extra gas tank. In the end you couldn't even tell that the car had a new engine unless you peered in the back window. Heh heh.

That thing was loud as hell though, and every time it drove by it screwed up my TV's reception. Still, it was a damn fast little car.

Anywho, the moral of the story is: Where there's a will, there's a way. It's just that sometimes the effort isn't really worth it.

PC Repair-Vol 1:Getting To Know Your PC.
PC Repair-Vol 2:Troubleshooting Your PC.
PC Repair-Vol 3:Having Trouble Troubleshooting Your PC?
PC Repair-Vol 4:Having Trouble Shooting Your PC?
February 5, 2003 4:06:09 PM

man..imagine a nice 350 Chevy small block in a old beetle?? LoL

That thing would be a rocket and a half!!! but seeign how the motor was in the rear he prolyl didnt turn very well..LOL

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>
February 5, 2003 4:28:11 PM

Quote:
man..imagine a nice 350 Chevy small block in a old beetle?? LoL

That thing would be a rocket and a half!!! but seeign how the motor was in the rear he prolyl didnt turn very well..LOL

Probably not. :)  It was definately a rare car. Still, braking just before a turn would throw the momentum back onto the front wheels and allow for better turning. It's all skill. :) 

At least it was fast though. I had another friend with a Renault Alliance and even just after a tune up it only had a 0 to 60 of just over 13 seconds. Heh heh. That darn thing sounded like it had a tiny electric motor from one of those old 'Stomper' toy cars hooked up to a 9V battery.

(Oh sure, like I'm the <i>only</i> one to ever rewire a Stomper toy car from a AA to a 9V. :wink: )

February 5, 2003 6:36:23 PM

That ambulance episode was a great episode of Monster Garage. That and the firetruck one are tied for my favorite.

I wish I had that kind of machine and car knowledge to mess with stuff like that. If so, I'd super pimp out my '89 Grand Am with the ablility to hop with hydraulics, and throw a wicked paint job on it

It's all good ^_^
February 5, 2003 6:46:38 PM

My favorite was the <A HREF="http:// dsc.discovery.com/fansites/monstergarage/episode/episode_09.html" target="_new">delivery truck</A> with a trebuchet.

In the <A HREF="http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/monstergarage/episode..." target="_new">ambulance</A>, they ended up using the original engine to complete the task as the Hemi arrived too late to install. I don't know if it was ever installed after that.

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...
February 5, 2003 8:49:50 PM

oookay... so you get a super fast vw beetle... but you still end up with a diablo that is UBER rice! LOL

I guess if you have a degree in electrical engineering, a team of experts, a fab and huge wads of cash you could make a socket 478 -> FPGA adaptor... but why would you want to?

can you imagine the extra power requirements?
Or how crippled that sucker will be with an old style 66 or 100fsb and sdram?
or the compatibility issues to be resolved and pinout counts?

February 6, 2003 1:42:57 PM

Quote:
can you imagine the extra power requirements?
Or how crippled that sucker will be with an old style 66 or 100fsb and sdram?
or the compatibility issues to be resolved and pinout counts?

It might not take much of any extra power requirements, and certainly wouldn't take any more than a modern power supply for any normal P4 system. I'm sure the converter would handle whatever compatibility issues that might come up. The real problem would be the crippling. It would be a true crime against the CPU to hobble it that badly.

Though I do wonder if you <i>could</i> run a P4 in an SDRAM mobo paired with PC66 RAM. Heh heh. It'd be interesting to see the benchmarks if it could be done.

Quote:
I guess if you have a degree in electrical engineering, a team of experts, a fab and huge wads of cash you could make a socket 478 -> FPGA adaptor... but why would you want to?

I doubt that you'd need the team of experts, the FAB, or huge wads of cash. One skilled yet bored person with a lot of time on their hands and nothing better to do could probably hobble together some nightmarish board to do the job. But you're right, the real question is why would anyone want to.

Any with that, the ball bounces right back into Lbc3333's court...

!