I am doing a clean install of windows xp pro but i do not have my driver
cd's anymore..is this going to cause a problem??...and if it is how can i fix
it??
Thank you

Raeligh wrote:
> I am doing a clean install of windows xp pro but i do not have my
> driver cd's anymore..is this going to cause a problem??...and if it
> is how can i fix it??

Download the latest drivers for your computer from each hardware
manufacturer, burn those to CD or other external media - disconnect from the
Internet and do your OS install, install SP2 (which you should download and
burn to CD or other external media as well) and then all of the hardware
drivers that you downloaded earlier.. Connect to the Internet and download
all the further critical updates from http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and
then install your AntiVirus software and immunize with your AntiSpyware
software - and finally - install your other applications and check their
manufacturer web pages for updates for those.

Done.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Hi,

Download them from the website of the hardware manufacturer - most will have
them available. Using Windows default drivers usually will provide for basic
function, but will not support any enhanced capabilities.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Raeligh" <Raeligh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am doing a clean install of windows xp pro but i do not have my driver
> cd's anymore..is this going to cause a problem??...and if it is how can i
> fix
> it??
> Thank you

Only if your Mass Storage (Disk Drive) controller isn't recognized
by XP's native drivers. To allow XP to install quicker - you might
unplug any USB/Firewire peripherals and also disable any devices
in BIOS setup you won't be using. (Serial, Parallel, Sound...)
Before you start the fresh install - You should pre-download the
chipset driver package for your motherboard. Also, the latest video
driver. That way you'll have them available right after the installation
completes. If your XP media isn't at SP2 - Be careful accessing the
Internet before enabling a Firewall.
Driver's should either come from your PC vendor's web site or
directly from the hardware vendor (Intel, VIA, SiS,nVidia). Usually,
the PC Vendor offer's slightly older drivers that may have been
tested to specifically work on your hardware platform.

"Raeligh" <Raeligh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am doing a clean install of windows xp pro but i do not have my driver
> cd's anymore..is this going to cause a problem??...and if it is how can i
> fix
> it??
> Thank you

Hi

XP includes a lot of drivers. If you need to update after the reinstall, go
to the manufacturer's web sites and download the latest XP compliant
drivers.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User