Windows XP Genuine and WGA...

if i have a genuine copy of windows XP that checks out perfectly...and i have
2 computers at home...can i use the same cd-key for both computers without
being labeled as pirated?...is it legal?

You could,however activation gives you 30 days till xp disolves itself,you
won't
be able to activate on another computer,it isnt illegal,just you'd only get
30 days
of use.

Kurayami wrote:
> if i have a genuine copy of windows XP that checks out perfectly...and i have
> 2 computers at home...can i use the same cd-key for both computers without
> being labeled as pirated?...is it legal?

No, you can't, legally (unless you live in a jurisdiction that
doesn't recognize intellectual property and copyright laws). You'll
need to purchase a separate WinXP license for each computer on which you
install it.

Just as it has *always* been with *all* Microsoft operating
systems, it's necessary (to be in compliance with both the EULA and U.S.
copyright law http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/117.html), if not
technically) to purchase one WinXP license for each computer on which it
is installed. (Consult an attorney versed in copyright law to determine
final applicability in your locale.) The only way in which WinXP
licensing differs from that of earlier versions of Windows is that
Microsoft has finally added a copy protection and anti-theft mechanism,
Product Activation, to prevent (or at least make more difficult)
multiple installations using a single license.

One can buy additional licenses, assuming one already has a retail
license. Naturally, Microsoft cannot sell additional OEM licenses. Be
aware, however, that you'll probably pay more this way than you would if
you were to buy a second copy of WinXP from a discount retailer;
Microsoft will only offer you a 15% discount off their MSRP.

Additional Licenses for Windows XP Home Edition
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/addlic.asp

Additional Licenses for Windows XP Professional
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/addlic.asp

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Andrew E. wrote:
> You could,however activation gives you 30 days till xp disolves itself,you
> won't
> be able to activate on another computer,it isnt illegal,just you'd only get
> 30 days
> of use.

"... Dissolves itself?" What medications are you forgetting to take,
this week?

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

> Andrew E. wrote:
> > You could,however activation gives you 30 days till xp disolves
itself,you
> > won't
> > be able to activate on another computer,it isnt illegal,just you'd only
get
> > 30 days
> > of use.
> >

> "... Dissolves itself?" What medications are you forgetting to take,

Personally, I rather like his description of what XP does when the trial
period expires...conjures up many images from old Sci-Fi movies...

or what happened to the Wicked Witch of the West when water got
thrown on her...

In news:9F766E5C-26A2-43D3-9A30-BE925CEE6923@microsoft.com,
Kurayami <Kurayami@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> if i have a genuine copy of windows XP that checks out
> perfectly...and i have 2 computers at home...can i use the same
> cd-key for both computers without being labeled as
> pirated?...is it
> legal?

No. The rule is quite clear. It's one copy (or one license) for
each computer.
There's nothing new here. This is exactly the same rule that's
been in effect on every version of Windows starting with Windows
3.1. The only thing new with XP is that there's now an
enforcement mechanism.

If yours is a retail version, not an OEM one, you can buy extra
licenses (see
<http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/addlic.asp>).
But it's not generally a good deal. The problem is that Microsoft
sells additional licenses at only a small savings over the list
price. You're almost certainly better off just buying a complete
second copy from a discount source.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Hi

No, you have to have one CD per machine and then only one installation per
machine. You can either purchase a second XP CD or purchase a second
license for the CD you have now:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/addlic.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/addlic.mspx

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Kurayami" <Kurayami@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> if i have a genuine copy of windows XP that checks out perfectly...and i
> have
> 2 computers at home...can i use the same cd-key for both computers without
> being labeled as pirated?...is it legal?

try setting your bios clock ahead by 10 yrs

> You could,however activation gives you 30 days till xp disolves itself,you
> won't
> be able to activate on another computer,it isnt illegal,just you'd only
> get
> 30 days
> of use.
>
> "Kurayami" wrote:
>
>> if i have a genuine copy of windows XP that checks out perfectly...and i
>> have
>> 2 computers at home...can i use the same cd-key for both computers
>> without
>> being labeled as pirated?...is it legal?

Phisherman

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 08:41:37 -0700, "Kurayami"
<Kurayami@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>if i have a genuine copy of windows XP that checks out perfectly...and i have
>2 computers at home...can i use the same cd-key for both computers without
>being labeled as pirated?...is it legal?

Read the EULA. If one of the computers is a notebook (laptop) you
will not need to purchase a second license. (Not sure if BOTH are
notebooks.)

"Phisherman" <noone@nobody.com> wrote in message

> On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 08:41:37 -0700, "Kurayami"
> <Kurayami@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>if i have a genuine copy of windows XP that checks out
>>perfectly...and i have
>>2 computers at home...can i use the same cd-key for both
>>computers without
>>being labeled as pirated?...is it legal?
>
> Read the EULA. If one of the computers is a notebook (laptop)
> you
> will not need to purchase a second license.

Uh, you might want to read that EULA yourself. What you say is
*not* correct. There are versions of Microsoft Office with such a
license, but not of Windows.

Phisherman wrote:

> Read the EULA. If one of the computers is a notebook (laptop) you
> will not need to purchase a second license. (Not sure if BOTH are
> notebooks.)

That's incorrect. Retail licenses of Office (and some other
Microsoft applications) permit the installation of the software onto one
desktop computer and one portable computer, provided that the license
owner is the primary user of both machines, but this has *never* been
the case with Microsoft operating systems, such as Windows.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

"I'm melting, I'm melting!" :)

--
Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:

> You could,however activation gives you 30 days till xp disolves
> itself,you won't
> be able to activate on another computer,it isnt illegal,just you'd
> only get 30 days
> of use.
>
> "Kurayami" wrote:
>
>> if i have a genuine copy of windows XP that checks out
>> perfectly...and i have 2 computers at home...can i use the same
>> cd-key for both computers without being labeled as pirated?...is it
>> legal?

"Kurayami" <Kurayami@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> if i have a genuine copy of windows XP that checks out perfectly...and i
> have
> 2 computers at home...can i use the same cd-key for both computers without
> being labeled as pirated?

- No, no need to burden yourself, you can still be a good citizen. You're
not a criminal (of any sort) in this context unless you're convicted in a
court of law. Except MS law of guilt before innocence, which is yet to be
executed.

....is it legal?

- It's not illegal, there are more loop holes in EULA than holes in Windows
security. A little common sense on your behalf can get you both computers
activated, and successful WGA execution. After all it the so called 'honest'
XP users having problems with WGA.

As you've stated you have a genuine copy of Windows XP. It's yours. Why are
you here to seek permission anyway???

Kurayami-san, EULA wa usotsuki desu ne, shinpanai yo, gambatte ne!

- Winux P

The OP was not asking permission.
If "permission" is all the OP wanted, that is now received from you.
However if the OP intends to follow the agreement he has agreed, the answer
may be different.
Many people value their word and intend to keep their agreements.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

Ken Blake wrote:

> No. The rule is quite clear. It's one copy (or one license) for
> each computer.

Grin. Sort of like the rule Honor thy father and mother in the ten
commandments :)

Without an enforcement mechanism the "rule" may be ignored.

=?Utf-8?B?S3VyYXlhbWk=?= wrote:

> if i have a genuine copy of windows XP that checks out perfectly...and i have
> 2 computers at home...can i use the same cd-key for both computers without
> being labeled as pirated?...is it legal?

Best to use a second legit key for the second pc.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

No Stupider, I answered and responded and gave the OP more than that.
Permission is a question I asked the OP, not granted by me, that would be
ironic. If the OP intended to follow the "agreement" that wasn't flawed, the
OP wouldn't be posting here. Anyway Stupider, thanks for dropping by, I'd
like to say it was a pleasure, but I'm not a hypocrite. Do come again.

- Winux P

> The OP was not asking permission.
> If "permission" is all the OP wanted, that is now received from you.
> However if the OP intends to follow the agreement he has agreed, the
> answer may be different.
> Many people value their word and intend to keep their agreements.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "Winux P" <winuxp@msnews.grp> wrote in message
>> - No, no need to burden yourself, you can still be a good citizen. You're
>> not a criminal (of any sort) in this context unless you're convicted in a
>> court of law. Except MS law of guilt before innocence, which is yet to be
>> executed.
>>
>> ...is it legal?
>>
>> - It's not illegal, there are more loop holes in EULA than holes in
>> Windows security. A little common sense on your behalf can get you both
>> computers activated, and successful WGA execution. After all it the so
>> called 'honest' XP users having problems with WGA.
>>
>> As you've stated you have a genuine copy of Windows XP. It's yours. Why
>> are you here to seek permission anyway???
>>
>> Kurayami-san, EULA wa usotsuki desu ne, shinpanai yo, gambatte ne!
>>
>> - Winux P

Still demonstrating an inability to communicate without insults.

--

In news:42f70c03$0$37087$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com,
Plato <|@|.|> typed:

> Ken Blake wrote:
>>
>> No. The rule is quite clear. It's one copy (or one license)
>> for
>> each computer.
>
> Grin. Sort of like the rule Honor thy father and mother in the
> ten
> commandments :)
>
> Without an enforcement mechanism the "rule" may be ignored.

Rules without enforcement mechanisms are always between you and
your conscience. Even rules *with* enforcement mechanisms are
between you and your conscience, if you don't get caught.

Please reply to the newsgroup

....and you Sir, are alot more than just a pretty face...

http://www.microscum.com/jupiter/
(ak. Kurttrail)

- Winux P