Deleted file: How to retrieve

Status
Not open for further replies.

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

I just accidentally deleted a video file that I need. I have no back up and
the Recycle Bin does not show it. Is there any way to retrieve it? It was
on my hard-drive. Is there another software package that I can use to
retrieve it?

Please help!

Malke

Galen wrote:

> I just accidentally deleted a video file that I need. I have no back
> up and
> the Recycle Bin does not show it. Is there any way to retrieve it?
> It was
> on my hard-drive. Is there another software package that I can use to
> retrieve it?
>
> Please help!

Do nothing further on the machine. When you delete a file, it is still
on your hard drive. However, if you continue to use the computer the
chances that the file will be overwritten (and become impossible to
retrieve) increase.

There are some freeware data recovery programs. I have not used them:

http://www.collina.us/files/REST2514.htm
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/RESTORATION.html
PCInspector File Recovery -
http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/welcome.htm
Recover and Restore Deleted Files (Line 36) -
File Saver Pro - Recover Deleted Files -
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_u.htm#xp_util
www.recovermyfiles.com

There is also professional data recovery software. It is quite
expensive. I use this one, which works very well:

Ontrack's EasyRecovery -
http://www.ontrack.com/Homepage.aspx?id=3&pagename=Software

And finally, there are professional data recovery firms. Their services
are expensive, but only you can decide what your data is worth:

DriveSavers - http://www.drivesavers.com
Seagate Data Recovery Services -
http://www.seagate.com/support/service/drs/services.html

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Hi

Dependent on whether the data has been overwritten or not, you may be able
to recover the file with a 3rd party 'undelete' program:

http://aumha.org/a/recover.php
http://www.executive.com/undelete/undelete.asp

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Galen" <Galen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just accidentally deleted a video file that I need. I have no back up
>and
> the Recycle Bin does not show it. Is there any way to retrieve it? It
> was
> on my hard-drive. Is there another software package that I can use to
> retrieve it?
>
> Please help!

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:E0B029A1-7CCF-4731-966E-1CBE3C6D568B@microsoft.com,
Galen <Galen@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I just accidentally deleted a video file that I need. I have no back
> up and the Recycle Bin does not show it. Is there any way to
> retrieve it? It was on my hard-drive. Is there another software
> package that I can use to retrieve it?
>
> Please help!

Heh... If the other help isn't what you want to do then this might be of
interest to you:

Data Recovery Tools:
http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/system/fwdatarecovery.html

(By the way it was odd to see this flagged. Normally I can just leave it as
flagging Galen and nothing ever shows up but my posts.)

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 09:38:44 -0700, Malke <invalid@not-real.com>
>Galen wrote:

>> I just accidentally deleted a video file that I need. I have no back
>> up and the Recycle Bin does not show it. Is there any way to retrieve it?
>> It was on my hard-drive. Is there another software package that I can
>> use to retrieve it?

>Do nothing further on the machine. When you delete a file, it is still
>on your hard drive. However, if you continue to use the computer the
>chances that the file will be overwritten (and become impossible to
>retrieve) increase.

Normally I'd agree with this approach, but I'm less keen when it's an
off-the-peg code file, for two reasons:

1) A bent code file can make life hell (half a .VXD != cigar)
2) You can always find and download fresh drivers again

On (2), you should also have a driver disk that came with the
computer, motherboard (if built-in graphics) or SVGA card.

Tip Of The Day:
To disable the 'Tip of the Day' feature...

Malke

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) wrote:

> On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 09:38:44 -0700, Malke <invalid@not-real.com>
>>Galen wrote:
>
>>> I just accidentally deleted a video file that I need. I have no
>>> back
>>> up and the Recycle Bin does not show it. Is there any way to
>>> retrieve it?
>>> It was on my hard-drive. Is there another software package that I
>>> can use to retrieve it?
>
>>Do nothing further on the machine. When you delete a file, it is still
>>on your hard drive. However, if you continue to use the computer the
>>chances that the file will be overwritten (and become impossible to
>>retrieve) increase.
>
> Normally I'd agree with this approach, but I'm less keen when it's an
> off-the-peg code file, for two reasons:
>
> 1) A bent code file can make life hell (half a .VXD != cigar)
> 2) You can always find and download fresh drivers again
>
> On (2), you should also have a driver disk that came with the
> computer, motherboard (if built-in graphics) or SVGA card.

I suppose that's true if the OP is talking about drivers. I read the
post as him saying he'd deleted some sort of video file, like a movie.
Re-reading it, the post *is* ambiguous. If he doesn't come back, I
guess we'll never know. ;-)

Malke
--

=?Utf-8?B?R2FsZW4=?= wrote:

> I just accidentally deleted a video file that I need. I have no back up and
> the Recycle Bin does not show it. Is there any way to retrieve it? It was
> on my hard-drive. Is there another software package that I can use to
> retrieve it?

If you've continued to use the pc in question chances are the file is
now gone forever.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/