Deleted file: How to retrieve

I just accidentally deleted a video file that I need. I have no back up and
the Recycle Bin does not show it. Is there any way to retrieve it? It was
on my hard-drive. Is there another software package that I can use to
retrieve it?

Please help!
7 answers Last reply
More about deleted file retrieve

    Galen wrote:

    > I just accidentally deleted a video file that I need. I have no back
    > up and
    > the Recycle Bin does not show it. Is there any way to retrieve it?
    > It was
    > on my hard-drive. Is there another software package that I can use to
    > retrieve it?
    >
    > Please help!

    Do nothing further on the machine. When you delete a file, it is still
    on your hard drive. However, if you continue to use the computer the
    chances that the file will be overwritten (and become impossible to
    retrieve) increase.

    There are some freeware data recovery programs. I have not used them:

    http://www.collina.us/files/REST2514.htm
    http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/RESTORATION.html
    PCInspector File Recovery -
    http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/welcome.htm
    Recover and Restore Deleted Files (Line 36) -
    File Saver Pro - Recover Deleted Files -
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_u.htm#xp_util
    www.recovermyfiles.com

    There is also professional data recovery software. It is quite
    expensive. I use this one, which works very well:

    Ontrack's EasyRecovery -
    http://www.ontrack.com/Homepage.aspx?id=3&pagename=Software

    And finally, there are professional data recovery firms. Their services
    are expensive, but only you can decide what your data is worth:

    DriveSavers - http://www.drivesavers.com
    Seagate Data Recovery Services -
    http://www.seagate.com/support/service/drs/services.html

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Hi

    Dependent on whether the data has been overwritten or not, you may be able
    to recover the file with a 3rd party 'undelete' program:

    http://aumha.org/a/recover.php
    http://www.executive.com/undelete/undelete.asp

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:E0B029A1-7CCF-4731-966E-1CBE3C6D568B@microsoft.com,
    Galen <Galen@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > I just accidentally deleted a video file that I need. I have no back
    > up and the Recycle Bin does not show it. Is there any way to
    > retrieve it? It was on my hard-drive. Is there another software
    > package that I can use to retrieve it?
    >
    > Please help!

    Heh... If the other help isn't what you want to do then this might be of
    interest to you:

    Data Recovery Tools:
    http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/system/fwdatarecovery.html

    (By the way it was odd to see this flagged. Normally I can just leave it as
    flagging Galen and nothing ever shows up but my posts.)

    Galen

    without them."

    Sherlock Holmes

    On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 09:38:44 -0700, Malke <invalid@not-real.com>
    >Galen wrote:

    >> I just accidentally deleted a video file that I need. I have no back
    >> up and the Recycle Bin does not show it. Is there any way to retrieve it?
    >> It was on my hard-drive. Is there another software package that I can
    >> use to retrieve it?

    >Do nothing further on the machine. When you delete a file, it is still
    >on your hard drive. However, if you continue to use the computer the
    >chances that the file will be overwritten (and become impossible to
    >retrieve) increase.

    Normally I'd agree with this approach, but I'm less keen when it's an
    off-the-peg code file, for two reasons:

    1) A bent code file can make life hell (half a .VXD != cigar)
    2) You can always find and download fresh drivers again

    On (2), you should also have a driver disk that came with the
    computer, motherboard (if built-in graphics) or SVGA card.

    Tip Of The Day:
    To disable the 'Tip of the Day' feature...

    cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) wrote:

    > On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 09:38:44 -0700, Malke <invalid@not-real.com>
    >>Galen wrote:
    >
    >>> I just accidentally deleted a video file that I need. I have no
    >>> back
    >>> up and the Recycle Bin does not show it. Is there any way to
    >>> retrieve it?
    >>> It was on my hard-drive. Is there another software package that I
    >>> can use to retrieve it?
    >
    >>Do nothing further on the machine. When you delete a file, it is still
    >>on your hard drive. However, if you continue to use the computer the
    >>chances that the file will be overwritten (and become impossible to
    >>retrieve) increase.
    >
    > Normally I'd agree with this approach, but I'm less keen when it's an
    > off-the-peg code file, for two reasons:
    >
    > 1) A bent code file can make life hell (half a .VXD != cigar)
    > 2) You can always find and download fresh drivers again
    >
    > On (2), you should also have a driver disk that came with the
    > computer, motherboard (if built-in graphics) or SVGA card.

    I suppose that's true if the OP is talking about drivers. I read the
    post as him saying he'd deleted some sort of video file, like a movie.
    Re-reading it, the post *is* ambiguous. If he doesn't come back, I
    guess we'll never know. ;-)

    Malke
    --

    =?Utf-8?B?R2FsZW4=?= wrote:

    > I just accidentally deleted a video file that I need. I have no back up and
    > the Recycle Bin does not show it. Is there any way to retrieve it? It was
    > on my hard-drive. Is there another software package that I can use to
    > retrieve it?

    If you've continued to use the pc in question chances are the file is
    now gone forever.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
  7. Did you even bother to look at the date on this thread?

    I seriously doubt that the OP is interested in recovering that file 7 years later.

Microsoft Windows XP