System restore disks & Recovery tool on hard drive (Inspir..

First time posting although I lurked for a month or more…

I recently bought my first laptop a Dell Inspiron 6000. I choose it
specifically because of the price. I have used a IBM Thinkpads in the
past but they are too expensive for me.

Anyway, I didn't receive an installation/restoration disk for Windows
so, I called and they sent me 3 disks. Application disk, Drivers &
Utils disk, and the Operating System disk.

My question…. did Dell make the mistake of not sending them initially
or is it common practice not to send them? Is it even legal to do
this?

The laptop has a system restore by pressing CTRL + F11 at startup. I
assume this is stored on another partition on the hard drive? Can I
access this and/or delete it?

Thanks for the replies in advance and thanks for the great posts in
the news group. There is a lot of good info here.

You are lucky you got 3 disks, I only got 2, the OS and the drivers and utilities. And I only got these after a phone call. I was told that they do not send them out anymore, but you can get them by calling. I did get the Office CD with it but had to request the other 2. I was also told that there were only 2 of them, so I guess I need to make another phone call for the Applications disk.
--
Cyndi
"Where's the Dell Dude Been?" <noway@dell.com.org.net> wrote in message news:8vptd1prmk98mg5mktgid3dr7dnp79jv6j@4ax.com...
> First time posting although I lurked for a month or more.
>
> I recently bought my first laptop a Dell Inspiron 6000. I choose it
> specifically because of the price. I have used a IBM Thinkpads in the
> past but they are too expensive for me.
>
> Anyway, I didn't receive an installation/restoration disk for Windows
> so, I called and they sent me 3 disks. Application disk, Drivers &
> Utils disk, and the Operating System disk.
>
> My question.. did Dell make the mistake of not sending them initially
> or is it common practice not to send them? Is it even legal to do
> this?
>
> The laptop has a system restore by pressing CTRL + F11 at startup. I
> assume this is stored on another partition on the hard drive? Can I
> access this and/or delete it?
>
> Thanks for the replies in advance and thanks for the great posts in
> the news group. There is a lot of good info here.

They don't send out disks for their Dimension desktops or Inspiron
notebooks. They do supply disks for the other lines they sell, at least
they did just a few months ago.

Oh, and the Dell Dude, who starred in the most successful series of Dell
commercials ever aired, got busted for possession of pot and Dell promptly
and unceremoniously fired him instantly. That one guy sold more computers
for Dell than any other spokesperson. And for smoking some pot, they killed
the goose that laid the golden egg. Go figure.

"Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message
You are lucky you got 3 disks, I only got 2, the OS and the drivers and
utilities. And I only got these after a phone call. I was told that they
do not send them out anymore, but you can get them by calling. I did get
the Office CD with it but had to request the other 2. I was also told that
there were only 2 of them, so I guess I need to make another phone call for
the Applications disk.
--
Cyndi
"Where's the Dell Dude Been?" <noway@dell.com.org.net> wrote in message
> First time posting although I lurked for a month or more.
>
> I recently bought my first laptop a Dell Inspiron 6000. I choose it
> specifically because of the price. I have used a IBM Thinkpads in the
> past but they are too expensive for me.
>
> Anyway, I didn't receive an installation/restoration disk for Windows
> so, I called and they sent me 3 disks. Application disk, Drivers &
> Utils disk, and the Operating System disk.
>
> My question.. did Dell make the mistake of not sending them initially
> or is it common practice not to send them? Is it even legal to do
> this?
>
> The laptop has a system restore by pressing CTRL + F11 at startup. I
> assume this is stored on another partition on the hard drive? Can I
> access this and/or delete it?
>
> Thanks for the replies in advance and thanks for the great posts in
> the news group. There is a lot of good info here.

BigJim

On my dell there is a folder called, Drivers, if you have this folder copy
it to a cd, you wont be sorry.
They are the drivers specific to you machine.

"Where's the Dell Dude Been?" <noway@dell.com.org.net> wrote in message
> First time posting although I lurked for a month or more.
>
> I recently bought my first laptop a Dell Inspiron 6000. I choose it
> specifically because of the price. I have used a IBM Thinkpads in the
> past but they are too expensive for me.
>
> Anyway, I didn't receive an installation/restoration disk for Windows
> so, I called and they sent me 3 disks. Application disk, Drivers &
> Utils disk, and the Operating System disk.
>
> My question.. did Dell make the mistake of not sending them initially
> or is it common practice not to send them? Is it even legal to do
> this?
>
> The laptop has a system restore by pressing CTRL + F11 at startup. I
> assume this is stored on another partition on the hard drive? Can I
> access this and/or delete it?
>
> Thanks for the replies in advance and thanks for the great posts in
> the news group. There is a lot of good info here.

When I bought my Inspiron 5150 last year, I got all the disks without asking, but I bought thru the Small Business section..........this one was bought thru the EPP/FSS program for students.
--
Cyndi