Internet Sharing Win98

I have a Microsoft Base station installed using a Windows
XP machine. Internet access through the other networked
XP machine worked. Originally Win98 machine worked too.
After updating Ethernet card drivers it does not work.
Network stuff works fine but no internet. Tried
reinstalling netsetup, but no luck. How do I get my Win98
machine to share the XP internet connection.
Note: Not Win98 SE (Just regular Win98)

joker

This sounds like it might be a Windows 98 SE issue.

I'll give you some things to try though. Please post the results so I
can give you more help.

This is all to be done on the Windows 98 SE Computer.

1) Make sure the IP address is set to dynamic.
2) Try pinging www.homestead.com
3) Try doing a tracert to www.homestead.com

Stacyl61 wrote:

> I have a Microsoft Base station installed using a Windows
> XP machine. Internet access through the other networked
> XP machine worked. Originally Win98 machine worked too.
> After updating Ethernet card drivers it does not work.
> Network stuff works fine but no internet. Tried
> reinstalling netsetup, but no luck. How do I get my Win98
> machine to share the XP internet connection.
> Note: Not Win98 SE (Just regular Win98)

Which ethernet cards did you update? The ones on the XP machine, or the 98 machine?

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Stacyl61" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7fd501c47759$7f1a20f0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
>I have a Microsoft Base station installed using a Windows
> XP machine. Internet access through the other networked
> XP machine worked. Originally Win98 machine worked too.
> After updating Ethernet card drivers it does not work.
> Network stuff works fine but no internet. Tried
> reinstalling netsetup, but no luck. How do I get my Win98
> machine to share the XP internet connection.
> Note: Not Win98 SE (Just regular Win98)

On the 98 machine go to Network properties and check that
you have a TCP/IP item bound to the network card driver you
are using.

Then on the TCP/IP properties, make sure that DNS is empty
(obtained from the server) or set to 192.168.2.1 (if your
router is from MS). The IP should be set to assigned by
server/dynamic (or set to something in the 192.168.2.x,
with mask 255.255.255.0, DNS and gateway 192.168.2.1)

The one on the win98 machine. I don't understand how it
worked before but now it won't.

Smart Display
>Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
>http://www.dougknox.com
>--------------------------------
>Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
>http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
>--------------------------------
>Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
>Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
>"Stacyl61" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:7fd501c47759$7f1a20f0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
>>I have a Microsoft Base station installed using a
Windows
>> XP machine. Internet access through the other
networked
>> XP machine worked. Originally Win98 machine worked
too.
>> After updating Ethernet card drivers it does not work.
>> Network stuff works fine but no internet. Tried
>> reinstalling netsetup, but no luck. How do I get my
Win98
>> machine to share the XP internet connection.
>> Note: Not Win98 SE (Just regular Win98)
>>

>.

It's just Win98 (not SE) If I had SE this would be easier.

I made the changes per your suggestions but no
connection. MS broadband network utility says the win98
computer is 192.168.2.12 so that's what I used for the IP
address. I used 192.168.2.1 for the DNS because I have an
MS MN-100 Basestation. I installed MS broadband network
utility on the win98 machine and it could see the base
station fine, but no internet. This is frustasting
especially since I had it working before.

joker

Same difference. There wasn't that much of a change between the two
versions.

Stacyl61 wrote:

> It's just Win98 (not SE) If I had SE this would be easier.

Just out of curiosity, if you have an MN-100 base station, why are you sharing XP's connection to it? Why not just run a CAT 5 cable directly from the 98 machine to the MN-100?

Additionally, on the 98 machine, go to Control Panel, Internet Options, Connections. Click the LAN settings button and make sure the settings there have not changed.

"Stacyl61" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:87ae01c4783e$ec1dd4e0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
>I made the changes per your suggestions but no
> connection. MS broadband network utility says the win98
> computer is 192.168.2.12 so that's what I used for the IP
> address. I used 192.168.2.1 for the DNS because I have an
> MS MN-100 Basestation. I installed MS broadband network
> utility on the win98 machine and it could see the base
> station fine, but no internet. This is frustasting
> especially since I had it working before.

joker

The question I still have is the results from the following.

1) Run "ping www.homestead.com" from the command prompt
2) Run "ping 209.157.71.50" from the command prompt
3) Run "tracert www.homestead.com" from the command prompt
4) Run "tracert 209.157.71.50" from the command prompt

If you give me the results from those 4 tests I can help you out better.

For the Tracert I want to know on which hop it died (meaning the hop
with three "*") it's IP address & the IP address just before it, if it
made it all the way, or if it couldn't find the server.

joker wrote:

> Same difference. There wasn't that much of a change between the two
> versions.
>
> Stacyl61 wrote:
>
>> It's just Win98 (not SE) If I had SE this would be easier.

I have all 3 computers connected to the basestation with
ethernet cables RJ-45 I think? The Basestation is
connected to the DSL Modem via Ethernet. I run MS
broadband utility on the XP machine for PPPOE so I
thought it was sharing.
Thanks for the help.

joker

The Mn-500 does the sharing. Will you please post a response to the
troubleshooting I requested you to do. It will help me understand what
is wrong with the windows 98 computer & thus allow me to help you better.

Stacyl61 wrote:

> I have all 3 computers connected to the basestation with
> ethernet cables RJ-45 I think? The Basestation is
> connected to the DSL Modem via Ethernet. I run MS
> broadband utility on the XP machine for PPPOE so I
> thought it was sharing.
> Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the help! :)
Here are the results:
C:\WINDOWS>ping www.homestead.com
Unknown host www.homestead.com.

C:\WINDOWS>ping 209.157.71.50

Pinging 209.157.71.50 with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 209.157.71.50:

C:\WINDOWS>tracert www.homestead.com
Unable to resolve target system name www.homestead.com.

C:\WINDOWS>tracert 209.157.71.50

Tracing route to 209.157.71.50 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 1 ms 2 ms 2 ms 192.168.2.1
2 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms 68.75.79.254
3 16 ms 14 ms 13 ms 65.43.19.226
4 15 ms 17 ms 14 ms 65.43.19.115
5 14 ms 13 ms 13 ms 151.164.188.166
6 15 ms 17 ms 16 ms 151.164.190.97
7 16 ms 18 ms 16 ms 151.164.191.114
8 16 ms 19 ms 16 ms 151.164.240.146
9 17 ms 20 ms 16 ms 144.223.241.57
10 16 ms 19 ms 16 ms 144.232.8.103
11 17 ms 18 ms 17 ms 144.232.9.22
12 18 ms 21 ms 17 ms 129.250.5.77
13 65 ms 64 ms 64 ms 129.250.5.132
14 67 ms 65 ms 66 ms 129.250.5.2
15 64 ms 64 ms 66 ms 129.250.24.194
16 65 ms 66 ms 64 ms 129.250.24.200
17 66 ms 67 ms 63 ms 209.157.68.36
18 66 ms 68 ms 68 ms 209.157.71.50

Trace complete.

joker

Well that tells me exactly what is wrong then. As I said I thought it
was in my first post it is 100% a Windows 98 issue. You need to do a
241344 from http://support.microsoft.com (it is a long article so read
it before starting to do anything). You will need to have either your
Windows CD-ROM or a copy of the Windows setup cab files on your computer
to fix this issue. If you have problems doing the 241344 I'd suggest
posting on the Windows 98 newsgroup saying that you need some help doing
a winsock fix (241344) on your computer.

Through the troubleshooting results I'll explain what is going on with
the command & what it all means.

Stacyl61 wrote:

> Thanks for the help! :)
> Here are the results:
> C:\WINDOWS>ping www.homestead.com
> Unknown host www.homestead.com.

Your computer failed to translate www.homestead.com to 209.157.71.50 for
some reason (at this point unknown).

> C:\WINDOWS>ping 209.157.71.50
>
> Pinging 209.157.71.50 with 32 bytes of data:
>
> Reply from 209.157.71.50: bytes=32 time=66ms TTL=238
> Reply from 209.157.71.50: bytes=32 time=66ms TTL=238
> Reply from 209.157.71.50: bytes=32 time=66ms TTL=238
> Reply from 209.157.71.50: bytes=32 time=65ms TTL=238
>
> Ping statistics for 209.157.71.50:
> Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
> Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
> Minimum = 65ms, Maximum = 66ms, Average = 65ms

You are able to say hi basically to the server & the server said hi back
(this is following KISS).

> C:\WINDOWS>tracert www.homestead.com
> Unable to resolve target system name www.homestead.com.

Your computer failed to translate www.homestead.com to 209.157.71.50 for
some reason (at this point it looks like you need a 241344).

> C:\WINDOWS>tracert 209.157.71.50
>
> Tracing route to 209.157.71.50 over a maximum of 30 hops
>
> 1 1 ms 2 ms 2 ms 192.168.2.1
> 2 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms 68.75.79.254
> 3 16 ms 14 ms 13 ms 65.43.19.226
> 4 15 ms 17 ms 14 ms 65.43.19.115
> 5 14 ms 13 ms 13 ms 151.164.188.166
> 6 15 ms 17 ms 16 ms 151.164.190.97
> 7 16 ms 18 ms 16 ms 151.164.191.114
> 8 16 ms 19 ms 16 ms 151.164.240.146
> 9 17 ms 20 ms 16 ms 144.223.241.57
> 10 16 ms 19 ms 16 ms 144.232.8.103
> 11 17 ms 18 ms 17 ms 144.232.9.22
> 12 18 ms 21 ms 17 ms 129.250.5.77
> 13 65 ms 64 ms 64 ms 129.250.5.132
> 14 67 ms 65 ms 66 ms 129.250.5.2
> 15 64 ms 64 ms 66 ms 129.250.24.194
> 16 65 ms 66 ms 64 ms 129.250.24.200
> 17 66 ms 67 ms 63 ms 209.157.68.36
> 18 66 ms 68 ms 68 ms 209.157.71.50
>
> Trace complete.

You are able to connect all the way to the server. Each hop represented
by the numbers 1-18 in this case are the different routers that your
communication went through to reach the destination server with
192.168.2.1 being your router & 209.157.71.50 being the destination server.

This thus shows that it is a DNS issue. Since you have no problems
browsing the Internet on the other computers it must be that you need a
241344.

To prevent this from happening again I recommend installing both
Ad-aware and Spybot Search & Destroy. As the Internet connection was
most likely broken by one or more of the following spyware, adware,
mal-ware, or a virus. I also recommend doing an online virus scan at
http://housecall.antivirus.com to check for any viruses, since your
anti-virus software is the first thing that is attacked by most modern
viruses.

Gateway has been restored - Hooray!
winsock.dll & wsock32.dll (not original 7/12/04)
Extracted original in system checker and reinstalled
Dialup Net and TCP/IP - Gateway restored THANK YOU :)

joker

I have seen several times where those files get replaced by either bad
software (adware, malware, & spyware) or a virus. Thus once again I
recommend you do something to prevent it from happening again.

To prevent this from happening again I recommend installing both
Ad-aware and Spybot Search & Destroy (make sure you update them at least
once a month). As the Internet connection was most likely broken by one
or more of the following spyware, adware, mal-ware, or a virus. I also
recommend doing an online virus scan at http://housecall.antivirus.com
to check for any viruses, since your anti-virus software is the first
thing that is attacked by most modern viruses.

I have done some research on this issue occurring & if you only have
Microsoft software this issue will never occur unless you get a virus or
install poorly written programs.

TRENDING THREADS