Solved

Confused about windows 7 upgrade

Tags:
  • Windows 7
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows 7
March 28, 2010 4:38:24 AM

I have windows xp 32 bit OEM that came pre installed with a dell computer 4-5 years ago. I now want to upgrade to windows 7 professional 64 bit. What I want to know is can I use the upgrade edition to do this?

I am aware that I will need to do a clean install for this. My second question is will I be able to do this install on to a different hard drive? obviously I don't really want to be relying on such an old hdd and would have long ago gotten rid of it if it wasn't my only copy of windows.

To summarise my questions:
-Can I use the upgrade edition to go from win xp 32 bit OEM to win 7 pro 64 bit?
-Can I install the upgrade edition on a different HDD than my previous installation on windows?

More about : confused windows upgrade

Best solution

a c 215 $ Windows 7
March 28, 2010 4:56:40 AM

Yes, and Yes. You can purchase and install Windows 7 with an upgrade disk if you own a previous version of Windows all the way back to Windows 2000. You can also do a clean install with the disk. Link to a guide on doing that install in number 16 of this thread.
March 28, 2010 4:58:38 AM

thank you very much for clarifying that for me
m
l
March 28, 2010 4:59:09 AM

Best answer selected by Seraphic22.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 28, 2010 8:49:52 AM

may I ask how you are going to upgrade a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS, enlighten me please
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 28, 2010 2:16:09 PM

Quote:
I am aware that I will need to do a clean install for this.

The OP already knows he can't upgrade his existing build to 64bit win7. He just wants to start using win7. Enlightened enough?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 28, 2010 2:21:23 PM

For #13
You use the "Upgrade" disk and do a Clean Install.

You cannot do a Upgrade from 32 bit -> 64 Bit due to driver problems.

Method (from one of my prev post)
Do a Clean Install, But DO NOT enter your Key
Goahead and let windows 7 down load critical updates. Then:

Open regedit.exe with Start Menu Search and navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE
Easier - Just do a search for " MediaBootInstall"

Change MediaBootInstall from "1" to "0". (Double-click it and then enter 0 in the dialog that appears.)

Close RegEdit.

Open the Start Menu again and type cmd in Start Menu search to display a shortcut to the Command Line utility. Right-click this shortcut and choose "Run as administrator." Handle the UAC prompt.

In the command line window, type: slmgr -rearm

Then tap ENTER and wait for the "Command completed successfully" dialog.

For Op - best method for daul boot is to use two HDD. Disconnect your first HDD, install Win 7 on your 2nd HDD. Reconnect 1st HDD and selcect which to boot from (On mine F12 while booting).
m
l
March 28, 2010 10:40:22 PM

RetiredChief said:
For Op - best method for daul boot is to use two HDD. Disconnect your first HDD, install Win 7 on your 2nd HDD. Reconnect 1st HDD and selcect which to boot from (On mine F12 while booting).

Thanks for the info but I've already set all that up and everything is working like a charm.
m
l
!