Windows Explore stops working if "third party browser exte..

Windows Explore stops working if "third party browser extensions" in IE 6 are
enabled. For example, installing the Google Toolbar in IE 6 enables third
party browser extensions, and prevents explorer.exe from working. Does any
know of a fix or work around? Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about windows explore stops working third party browser exte

    What exactly do you mean by "stops working"? Perhaps an error message is
    displayed when you try to open Explorer? One of the Browser Helper Objects
    may be blocking the functionality. Note that BHOs load with both
    iexplore.exe as well as explorer.exe instances. You may use any of these
    following programs to determine which BHO is causing the problem.

    ToolbarCop : http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4126.html
    BHO Demon : http://www.definitivesolutions.com/bhodemon.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "3rd party browswer ext. stop explorer.ex" <3rd party browswer ext. stop
    explorer.ex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Windows Explore stops working if "third party browser extensions" in IE 6
    > are
    > enabled. For example, installing the Google Toolbar in IE 6 enables third
    > party browser extensions, and prevents explorer.exe from working. Does any
    > know of a fix or work around? Thanks.

    Ramesh,

    Thanks for your input. Explorer.exe will not load. No error messages. It
    just does not load. But, I believe that you have properly identified the
    issue. dc@dcsoft.com sent me the following:

    Anyway, regarding the "third party browser extensions" are known as Browser
    Helper Objects (or BHO). IE6 has a nice way to mange them.

    1. Select Tools | Internet Options
    2. Click the Programs tab
    3. Click Manage Add Ons

    You can enable/disable each one.

    I disabled three of the "suspicious" appearing BHO's and everything appears
    to work without a hitch.

    Thanks again very much for your reply and assistance.

    Kenneth Ching

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > What exactly do you mean by "stops working"? Perhaps an error message is
    > displayed when you try to open Explorer? One of the Browser Helper Objects
    > may be blocking the functionality. Note that BHOs load with both
    > iexplore.exe as well as explorer.exe instances. You may use any of these
    > following programs to determine which BHO is causing the problem.
    >
    > ToolbarCop : http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4126.html
    > BHO Demon : http://www.definitivesolutions.com/bhodemon.htm
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "3rd party browswer ext. stop explorer.ex" <3rd party browswer ext. stop
    > explorer.ex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Windows Explore stops working if "third party browser extensions" in IE 6
    > > are
    > > enabled. For example, installing the Google Toolbar in IE 6 enables third
    > > party browser extensions, and prevents explorer.exe from working. Does any
    > > know of a fix or work around? Thanks.

    Additional reference:

    Prevent a Browser Helper Object (BHO) from loading with Explorer.exe
    instances:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/noexplorer.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    > What exactly do you mean by "stops working"? Perhaps an error message is
    > displayed when you try to open Explorer? One of the Browser Helper Objects
    > may be blocking the functionality. Note that BHOs load with both
    > iexplore.exe as well as explorer.exe instances. You may use any of these
    > following programs to determine which BHO is causing the problem.
    >
    > ToolbarCop : http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4126.html
    > BHO Demon : http://www.definitivesolutions.com/bhodemon.htm
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "3rd party browswer ext. stop explorer.ex" <3rd party browswer ext. stop
    > explorer.ex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Windows Explore stops working if "third party browser extensions" in IE 6
    >> are
    >> enabled. For example, installing the Google Toolbar in IE 6 enables third
    >> party browser extensions, and prevents explorer.exe from working. Does
    >> any
    >> know of a fix or work around? Thanks.

    Kenneth,

    Glad you've pin-pointed the culprit. BTW, are those BHOs legitimate ones, or
    the ones that you don't recognize. If the latter, it's a good idea to
    follow-up with Malware cleanup.

    --

    message news:4D87CEA8-85D9-4B2C-AF76-F46B21733F4C@microsoft.com...
    > Ramesh,
    >
    > Thanks for your input. Explorer.exe will not load. No error messages. It
    > just does not load. But, I believe that you have properly identified the
    > issue. dc@dcsoft.com sent me the following:
    >
    > Anyway, regarding the "third party browser extensions" are known as
    > Browser
    > Helper Objects (or BHO). IE6 has a nice way to mange them.
    >
    > 1. Select Tools | Internet Options
    > 2. Click the Programs tab
    > 3. Click Manage Add Ons
    >
    > You can enable/disable each one.
    >
    > I disabled three of the "suspicious" appearing BHO's and everything
    > appears
    > to work without a hitch.
    >
    > Thanks again very much for your reply and assistance.
    >
    > Kenneth Ching
    >

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> What exactly do you mean by "stops working"? Perhaps an error message is
    >> displayed when you try to open Explorer? One of the Browser Helper
    >> Objects
    >> may be blocking the functionality. Note that BHOs load with both
    >> iexplore.exe as well as explorer.exe instances. You may use any of these
    >> following programs to determine which BHO is causing the problem.
    >>
    >> ToolbarCop : http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4126.html
    >> BHO Demon : http://www.definitivesolutions.com/bhodemon.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "3rd party browswer ext. stop explorer.ex" <3rd party browswer ext. stop
    >> explorer.ex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Windows Explore stops working if "third party browser extensions" in IE
    >> > 6
    >> > are
    >> > enabled. For example, installing the Google Toolbar in IE 6 enables
    >> > third
    >> > party browser extensions, and prevents explorer.exe from working. Does
    >> > any
    >> > know of a fix or work around? Thanks.

Internet Explorer Browsers Extension Windows XP