Programs Won't Install

I have a Dell 4550, using Windows XP. I just had to replace the hard drive.
The installation went fine except that I have not been able to load two
programs: Paint Shop Pro 9 and SnagIt. I just cannot get either program to
work. When I run PSP, nothing happens - no new screen comes up (however if
you go to the Task Manager, it does show PSP as running). With SnagIt, at
least I get a small window to come up, but all it has in it is a yellow
triangle with a big exclamation point!

I've uninstalled and reinstalled both programs several times to no avail.
They both worked fine before the old hard drive crashed and I had to put in
a new one. Anyone have any ideas?

Tony

"Tony F" <rafern@NOSPAMsprintmail.com> wrote:
>I have a Dell 4550, using Windows XP. I just had to replace the hard drive.
>The installation went fine except that I have not been able to load two
>programs: Paint Shop Pro 9 and SnagIt. I just cannot get either program to
>work.

Sounds like some kind of broken copy protection that's got it's hooks
into the registry, and doesn't completely uninstall.

>I've uninstalled and reinstalled both programs several times to no avail.

Contact the manufacturers for better uninstall programs, or (with a
good backup) try manually edditing the registry to remove the
offending entries.

Worst-case you can try a clean install and see how that works, though
that's very labor-intensive. I'd start with proof of purchase and a
nice long tech support call to the software vendors.

William, P., N., Smith wrote:

> "Tony F" <rafern@NOSPAMsprintmail.com> wrote:
> >I have a Dell 4550, using Windows XP. I just had to replace the hard drive.
> >The installation went fine except that I have not been able to load two
> >programs: Paint Shop Pro 9 and SnagIt. I just cannot get either program to
> >work.
>
> Sounds like some kind of broken copy protection that's got it's hooks
> into the registry, and doesn't completely uninstall.
>
> >I've uninstalled and reinstalled both programs several times to no avail.
>
> Contact the manufacturers for better uninstall programs, or (with a
> good backup) try manually edditing the registry to remove the
> offending entries.
>
> Worst-case you can try a clean install and see how that works, though
> that's very labor-intensive. I'd start with proof of purchase and a
> nice long tech support call to the software vendors.

For whatever reason(s), some programs I've installed, will only install
in Safe Mode.

Try it!

Notan