Wanting to buy a new graphics card, may need new motherboard acerx1700

I have an Acer Aspire X1700 and was wanting to buy a new graphics card, at first I intended to get an AMD Radeon 6870 card but it is looking like my motherboard (Acer X1700) cannot run it, for specification reasons and stuff..

Now I am a complete noob at buying new stuff for my computer and upgrading, so I need help with this, would I be able to get the Radeon 6870 to run with my motherboard? If not, could I buy a new motherboard and put it into this Acer computer or would I have to buy a new computer?

Ideally, I would love to hear a way to get the card to run on my current motherboard, but it is unlikely, so I would be happy to hear that I can buy a new motherboard and replace my current one with a new one.

I really need help with this stuff because as I said, I am a complete noob at buying new parts for my computer
7 answers Last reply
More about wanting graphics card motherboard acerx1700
  1. PCI Express® 2.0 x16 graphics card support (low-profile)

    You would need a low profile card ^

    Your power supply doesn't have the juice to run that card!

    Because this is a sff case your upgrade options are limited!
  2. How can I tell a low-profile card?

    Could I not purchase a new motherboard with a better power supply then?

    And sorry, but i don't kow what sff means :/

    thanks for the help though, what card would you recommend?
  3. You need a full size tower that will hold a bigger power supply and a full size card!
  4. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    You need a full size tower that will hold a bigger power supply and a full size card!


    So what possible cards are there I could go for no more than £250?
  5. This is not the type of computer that you want to put money in! Use the computer 'as-is' and buy/build one to suit your needs.
  6. Ubrales said:
    This is not the type of computer that you want to put money in! Use the computer 'as-is' and buy/build one to suit your needs.


    Thanks, I found an american site I can use to build a gaming PC with great customization options, so when I get the money I'll buy one from there :)

    Thanks for the help
  7. Glewisguy said:
    Thanks, I found an american site I can use to build a gaming PC with great customization options, so when I get the money I'll buy one from there :)

    Thanks for the help

    Wait for the Black Friday deals on November 25, 2011. Every store in the US will have great deals! Even the custom PC builders!
Ask a new question

Read More

eMachines Acer Computer Graphics Cards Motherboards Computers