Wanting to buy a new graphics card, may need new motherboard acerx1700

Glewisguy

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
I have an Acer Aspire X1700 and was wanting to buy a new graphics card, at first I intended to get an AMD Radeon 6870 card but it is looking like my motherboard (Acer X1700) cannot run it, for specification reasons and stuff..

Now I am a complete noob at buying new stuff for my computer and upgrading, so I need help with this, would I be able to get the Radeon 6870 to run with my motherboard? If not, could I buy a new motherboard and put it into this Acer computer or would I have to buy a new computer?

Ideally, I would love to hear a way to get the card to run on my current motherboard, but it is unlikely, so I would be happy to hear that I can buy a new motherboard and replace my current one with a new one.

I really need help with this stuff because as I said, I am a complete noob at buying new parts for my computer

Glewisguy

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
How can I tell a low-profile card?

Could I not purchase a new motherboard with a better power supply then?

And sorry, but i don't kow what sff means :/

thanks for the help though, what card would you recommend?

Glewisguy

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011

So what possible cards are there I could go for no more than £250?

Glewisguy

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011

Thanks, I found an american site I can use to build a gaming PC with great customization options, so when I get the money I'll buy one from there :)

Thanks for the help

Wait for the Black Friday deals on November 25, 2011. Every store in the US will have great deals! Even the custom PC builders!