Please help-non techny person. I want to replace my 40gb hard drive in
advent 3207 computer. Current hard drive is Maxtor 4w040h2. I want to
upgrade to 80gb but i really need advice on what hard drive would be
compatible with my machine and best place to buy on the internet

Many thanks

Dennis Jubb

Try zipzoomfly.com pretty good prices and free shipping with 2nd day air.
As a general rule the most expensive one you can afford hasn't screwed up
too many people.

"dennisjubb" <dennisjubb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please help-non techny person. I want to replace my 40gb hard drive in
> advent 3207 computer. Current hard drive is Maxtor 4w040h2. I want to
> upgrade to 80gb but i really need advice on what hard drive would be
> compatible with my machine and best place to buy on the internet
>
> Many thanks
>
> Dennis Jubb

Jack

thanks but which maxtor 80gb would work in my machine are all hard drives
compatible

Dennis Jubb

"Jack Handey" wrote:

> Try zipzoomfly.com pretty good prices and free shipping with 2nd day air.
> As a general rule the most expensive one you can afford hasn't screwed up
> too many people.
>

> "dennisjubb" <dennisjubb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Please help-non techny person. I want to replace my 40gb hard drive in
> > advent 3207 computer. Current hard drive is Maxtor 4w040h2. I want to
> > upgrade to 80gb but i really need advice on what hard drive would be
> > compatible with my machine and best place to buy on the internet
> >
> > Many thanks
> >
> > Dennis Jubb

Hi Dennis,

Chances are that virtually any IDE (pata) hard drive is going to be
compatible with your system (it does not support sata drives). If you're
currently using a maxtor, then stick with them - I use them in pretty much
every machine I build, they're good and reliable. I get a lot of parts at
tigerdirect.com

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"dennisjubb" <dennisjubb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please help-non techny person. I want to replace my 40gb hard drive in
> advent 3207 computer. Current hard drive is Maxtor 4w040h2. I want to
> upgrade to 80gb but i really need advice on what hard drive would be
> compatible with my machine and best place to buy on the internet
>
> Many thanks
>
> Dennis Jubb

Rick

Thanks for that. The other question is that I noticed you can get
120gb,160gb and 200 gb Maxtor DiamondMax 10. Do you know the maximum an
advent 3207 will take or is that a stupid question

Dennis Jubb

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi Dennis,
>
> Chances are that virtually any IDE (pata) hard drive is going to be
> compatible with your system (it does not support sata drives). If you're
> currently using a maxtor, then stick with them - I use them in pretty much
> every machine I build, they're good and reliable. I get a lot of parts at
> tigerdirect.com
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "dennisjubb" <dennisjubb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Please help-non techny person. I want to replace my 40gb hard drive in
> > advent 3207 computer. Current hard drive is Maxtor 4w040h2. I want to
> > upgrade to 80gb but i really need advice on what hard drive would be
> > compatible with my machine and best place to buy on the internet
> >
> > Many thanks
> >
> > Dennis Jubb

Hi,

There shouldn't be a practical upper limit provided the system BIOS supports
48-bit LBA. If not, the drive space made available will be limited to 127GB.
Any recently built machine should be ok with the larger drives.

--

> Rick
>
> Thanks for that. The other question is that I noticed you can get
> 120gb,160gb and 200 gb Maxtor DiamondMax 10. Do you know the maximum an
> advent 3207 will take or is that a stupid question
>
> Dennis Jubb
>
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi Dennis,
>>
>> Chances are that virtually any IDE (pata) hard drive is going to be
>> compatible with your system (it does not support sata drives). If you're
>> currently using a maxtor, then stick with them - I use them in pretty
>> much
>> every machine I build, they're good and reliable. I get a lot of parts at
>> tigerdirect.com
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "dennisjubb" <dennisjubb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Please help-non techny person. I want to replace my 40gb hard drive in
>> > advent 3207 computer. Current hard drive is Maxtor 4w040h2. I want to
>> > upgrade to 80gb but i really need advice on what hard drive would be
>> > compatible with my machine and best place to buy on the internet
>> >
>> > Many thanks
>> >
>> > Dennis Jubb

Rick

I think I will go for the Maxtor DiamondMax 10 120gb OEM ATA133 8MB
bufffer(6l120PO) based on the advice you have given me.

Hopefully that will work in my machine

Cheers

Dennis Jubb

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There shouldn't be a practical upper limit provided the system BIOS supports
> 48-bit LBA. If not, the drive space made available will be limited to 127GB.
> Any recently built machine should be ok with the larger drives.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "dennisjubb" <dennisjubb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Rick
> >
> > Thanks for that. The other question is that I noticed you can get
> > 120gb,160gb and 200 gb Maxtor DiamondMax 10. Do you know the maximum an
> > advent 3207 will take or is that a stupid question
> >
> > Dennis Jubb
> >
> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Dennis,
> >>
> >> Chances are that virtually any IDE (pata) hard drive is going to be
> >> compatible with your system (it does not support sata drives). If you're
> >> currently using a maxtor, then stick with them - I use them in pretty
> >> much
> >> every machine I build, they're good and reliable. I get a lot of parts at
> >> tigerdirect.com
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >>
> >> "dennisjubb" <dennisjubb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

I'm sure you'll be fine Dennis. Enjoy!