Sign in with
Your question

Win XP + HyperThreading

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Windows XP
Last response: in CPUs
February 7, 2003 2:43:05 PM

Has anyone had any trouble getting HyperThreading to work in Windows XP Pro (sp1)?

Ive got HyperThreading enabled in BIOS and it shows 2cpu's when the computer POST's but when i get to windows both device manager and task manager show only the 1 cpu when it should show 2 :/ 

Anyone got any ideas how i can get it to work?

Asus P4G8X Deluxe // P4 3.06gb HT // 2x 512mb Corsair XMS 2700 // Seagate 80gb HDD etc.

More about : win hyperthreading

February 7, 2003 5:28:28 PM

Did you load windows XP when you installed the mobo or did you try to salvage your old hard drive?

Reload the XP with HT enabled is the best method.

<b>"Granted I dont own a P4. But I read enough stuff and waste enough time on forums newsgroups IRC and computer news sites that I proberly know more then if I DID own a P4." -vk2amv</b>
February 7, 2003 5:29:02 PM

Did you load windows XP when you installed the mobo or did you try to salvage your old hard drive?

Reload the XP with HT enabled is the best method.

<b>"Granted I dont own a P4. But I read enough stuff and waste enough time on forums newsgroups IRC and computer news sites that I proberly know more then if I DID own a P4." -vk2amv</b>
Related resources
February 7, 2003 6:36:43 PM

Ive deleted my partitions, formatted, and reinstalled Windows XP, to no affect, it still doesnt want to work correctly :[
Performance doesnt feel that great at times either, moving an open folder window about takes cpu usage to 100% which seems just a tad odd. :o 

Asus P4G8X Deluxe // P4 3.06gb HT // 2x 512mb Corsair XMS 2700 // Seagate 80gb HDD etc.
February 7, 2003 7:10:21 PM

I thought that WinXP was only supposed to show physical CPUs in the task manager.

PC Repair-Vol 1:Getting To Know Your PC.
PC Repair-Vol 2:Troubleshooting Your PC.
PC Repair-Vol 3:Having Trouble Troubleshooting Your PC?
PC Repair-Vol 4:Having Trouble Shooting Your PC?
February 7, 2003 7:25:13 PM

It should show two "CPU Usage History"'s. As shown on the reviews on this very website :>

February 7, 2003 11:14:21 PM

It should show 2 in the device manager when enabled.

Download sandra benchmark and run the CPU benches. It should show <A HREF="http://fugger.netfirms.com/sandra.JPG" target="_new">like this.</A>

Sup PR8600

February 8, 2003 5:22:19 PM

The only thing i can find that has PR in it is the Perfomance Rateing, under Processors in the Arithmatic Benchmark and that says PR 3373 (estimated). Is that what you are refering to?

February 8, 2003 6:57:12 PM

Also the green check next to HT.

That PR sounds very low.

!