Athlon XP 2700+ temperature question

mister_e

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2003
First, since I am new to these boards, let me start off by saying hello to all :)

Now, on to my issue.

I recently bought an Asus A7N8X deluxe mobo with an AMD Athlon XP 2700+ and a new Kingwin aluminum case. The case has 5 fans (2 front intakes, 2 rear exhausts, and 1 top blow-hole) and I am currently using the stock HSF. While in the BIOS, it tells me that the CPU temp is hovering around 49-52C, but once I load up Windows 2000 and launch the Asus Probe utility, it reports the CPU temp as idling around 42-45C, and about 45-49C when under a load. My question is, which do you guys think is more accurate? I'm inclinded to believe the stats while inside the BIOS, but I would LIKE to believe the readings from the Asus Probe utility. I do plan on getting a new all copper heatsink and new fan within a month or so. At any rate, are these temps too high? I just want to make sure that I don't have any immediate threat until I am able to get a new HSF.

BTW, this is the first computer I have actually assembled myself....maybe I'm just being paranoid. Oh...and I am not doing any overclocking.

Thoughts?

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Ok, first of all, the Asus probes have been notorius for extremely poor readings, so anything it spits out, take it with a grain of salt. Honestly, i'd spend the $10-20 for an external probe and scale, just so you can get a good confirmation. No, they aren't too high, just don't plan on doing any overclocking with the stock heatsink

Instead of Rdram, why not just merge 4 Sdram channels...

Packard

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
52C is not too high for an Athlon XP anyway.
I think the mobo measures temperature in two different ways. One temperature shows the inside temp in your cpu, the other shows the outside temp.

mister_e

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2003
Thanks Quetzacoatl. Then it is as I feared. It's too bad really, you'd think Asus could create a utility that can read their own board correctly. I could understand if it was some third-pary developed software. Ahh, but I digress. I don't plan on doing any overclocking anyways, but I do want to get a better HSF, just for peace of mind.

Thanks again.

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
nah, unless you have the extra cash, you really don't need to get a better heatsink. Only is you're overclocking really, your temps are fine, i'd expect they're more around the 44-48 celsius area

Instead of Rdram, why not just merge 4 Sdram channels...

Hiroshi

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
Yes, I too own a ASUS A7PRO with a Duron 800. The ASUS system probe gives me high 60's for the CPU and low 50's for my mobo.

RCPilot

Champion
Put together a A7V8X & ASUS Probe read it @ 52c idle & 57c under load. Came out with a new BIOS 1010. I flashed it & my temp.'s went to 42c to 47c on ASUS probe. Then I looked at the BIOS & it was to calibrate the the temp.'s. I know the CPU temp. didn't change. They can make the ASUS Probe read anything it wants to.

Touch the HSF when you see the high temp.'s your talking about. If you can touch it without letting go, it's cool enough. If you can touch it for a few seconds & then it gets uncomfortable, it's still fine. If you touch it & it actually burns you, It's way to hot. Sometimes hands, the tools we were all born with, can be the best indicator here.

I'm still learning & having fun doing it!! Trouble comes with the things you forget or overlook along the way that make it not so fun!!