Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

DMZ not working for Netmeeting

Tags:
  • Routers
  • DMZ
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
Share
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 3:30:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

Netmeeting requires ports 389, 522, 1503, 1720, 1731 and the whole
range from 1024 to 65535. Since this cannot be achieved by
portforwarding, I established a DMZ. Even in the DMZ, however,
incoming Netmeeting calls are not let through, and outgoing
connections only show my audio and video to the remote partner, but
not his audio and video to me. What can I do?

Does the "internet gateway", which got installed together with the
broadband software, have to be configured additionally?

Sven

More about : dmz working netmeeting

August 1, 2004 12:34:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

The Internet gateway is your router.

Which router do you have & what is the firmware version on it?

Sven Berg wrote:

> Netmeeting requires ports 389, 522, 1503, 1720, 1731 and the whole
> range from 1024 to 65535. Since this cannot be achieved by
> portforwarding, I established a DMZ. Even in the DMZ, however,
> incoming Netmeeting calls are not let through, and outgoing
> connections only show my audio and video to the remote partner, but
> not his audio and video to me. What can I do?
>
> Does the "internet gateway", which got installed together with the
> broadband software, have to be configured additionally?
>
> Sven
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 3:16:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

I am having the same problem and I have an MN-700 wireless
router and the firmware is 2.1.2.590

Any ideas?

>-----Original Message-----
>The Internet gateway is your router.
>
>Which router do you have & what is the firmware version
on it?
>
>Sven Berg wrote:
>
>> Netmeeting requires ports 389, 522, 1503, 1720, 1731
and the whole
>> range from 1024 to 65535. Since this cannot be achieved
by
>> portforwarding, I established a DMZ. Even in the DMZ,
however,
>> incoming Netmeeting calls are not let through, and
outgoing
>> connections only show my audio and video to the remote
partner, but
>> not his audio and video to me. What can I do?
>>
>> Does the "internet gateway", which got installed
together with the
>> broadband software, have to be configured additionally?
>>
>> Sven
>
>.
>
Related resources
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 3:37:38 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

"joker" wrote:

> The Internet gateway is your router.

Oh!
Does that imply, in rightclick - properties - advanced, I have to configure or add manually each service that I want to be available from the internet? Not all at once by "virtual DMZ"?

>
> Which router do you have & what is the firmware version on it?

MN-700 with 02.00.08.0333.
After several postings concerning the most recent upgrade http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/1... , I am a hesitating to upgrade to 2.1.2.590, shouldn't I?

Many thanks in advance, Sven
August 1, 2004 8:45:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

Sven Berg wrote:

>
> "joker" wrote:
>
>
>>The Internet gateway is your router.
>
>
> Oh!
> Does that imply, in rightclick - properties - advanced, I have to configure or add manually each service that I want to be available from the internet? Not all at once by "virtual DMZ"?
>

That means that if you have already configured it in the Web interface
you don't have to again.

>
>>Which router do you have & what is the firmware version on it?
>
>
> MN-700 with 02.00.08.0333.
> After several postings concerning the most recent upgrade http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/1... , I am a hesitating to upgrade to 2.1.2.590, shouldn't I?
>

The incoming connections are they from behind the MN-700 or from a
different location?

> Many thanks in advance, Sven
>
August 1, 2004 8:47:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

Well netmeeting is a really old piece of software & the DMZ is your last
hope. The only other thing I can think about is a software firewall in
your case if you have put the computer in the DMZ.

Rafa wrote:

> I am having the same problem and I have an MN-700 wireless
> router and the firmware is 2.1.2.590
>
> Any ideas?
>
>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>The Internet gateway is your router.
>>
>>Which router do you have & what is the firmware version
>
> on it?
>
>>Sven Berg wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Netmeeting requires ports 389, 522, 1503, 1720, 1731
>
> and the whole
>
>>>range from 1024 to 65535. Since this cannot be achieved
>
> by
>
>>>portforwarding, I established a DMZ. Even in the DMZ,
>
> however,
>
>>>incoming Netmeeting calls are not let through, and
>
> outgoing
>
>>>connections only show my audio and video to the remote
>
> partner, but
>
>>>not his audio and video to me. What can I do?
>>>
>>>Does the "internet gateway", which got installed
>
> together with the
>
>>>broadband software, have to be configured additionally?
>>>
>>>Sven
>>
>>.
>>
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 4:11:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

"joker" wrote:

"Sven Berg" wrote:

>> The Internet gateway is your router.
> That means if you have already configured it in the Web interface
> you don't have to again.

But do I have to undo the activation of services that point to a different machine than the one in the DMZ?

Or is it advisable (for reasons of simpicity) to completely remove the Internet
Gateway Device Discovery and Control Client?


> I am a hesitating to upgrade to 2.1.2.590
After all, would you recommand this firmware upgrade?


>> The incoming connections are they from behind the MN-700?
They are from a separate machine outside the network via a separate dialup connection. No loopback.

Netmeeting is about eight years old now (younger than Windows), and therefore the most often used H323 client. MN-700 should let it work, like other modern routers do, too.

Many thanks for further advice, Sven
August 2, 2004 1:03:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

Sven Berg wrote:

>
> "joker" wrote:
>
> "Sven Berg" wrote:
>
>
>>>The Internet gateway is your router.
>>
>>That means if you have already configured it in the Web interface
>>you don't have to again.
>
>
> But do I have to undo the activation of services that point to a different machine than the one in the DMZ?
>
> Or is it advisable (for reasons of simpicity) to completely remove the Internet
> Gateway Device Discovery and Control Client?
>

UPnP will re-install the device if you remove it so removing it is
pointless. It is just another way to configure some settings of the
router. I'm not exactly sure how the DMZ & persistent port forwarding
work together on the MN-700 because I don't have one.

>
>
>>I am a hesitating to upgrade to 2.1.2.590
>
> After all, would you recommand this firmware upgrade?
>

I use the MN-500 so I don't know anything really about the MN-700
firmware other then what is in the read me file for it.
>
>
>>>The incoming connections are they from behind the MN-700?
>
> They are from a separate machine outside the network via a separate dialup connection. No loopback.
>
> Netmeeting is about eight years old now (younger than Windows), and therefore the most often used H323 client. MN-700 should let it work, like other modern routers do, too.
>
> Many thanks for further advice, Sven
>

Microsoft wants to replace it with MSN Messenger 6. Eight years is a
really long time for communication software. The Microsoft routers only
have the DMZ for that software while some other routers will include a
server that helps work with netmeeting.
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 1:03:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

"joker" wrote:

Thank you for your clear and modest answers concerning MN-700. Maybe somebody else in this group has personal experiences with the DMZ issue of this device?

> Microsoft wants to replace it with MSN Messenger 6. Eight years is a
> really long time for communication software. The Microsoft routers only
> have the DMZ for that software while some other routers will include a
> server that helps work with netmeeting.

Of course, software companies sometimes urge you a little in the direction they want you to go. However, not only MS Netmeeting is obstructed by MN-700 (at least mine with its present settings), but all other H.323 compliant applications, too. Isn't that a little too much of a marketing policy?

On the other hand, I'd feel ashamed to sell the MN-700 to friends without telling them the problem.
August 2, 2004 9:44:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

The only other thing I can think of is a software firewall or your ISP
is blocking the connection.

Sven Berg wrote:

>
> "joker" wrote:
>
> Thank you for your clear and modest answers concerning MN-700. Maybe somebody else in this group has personal experiences with the DMZ issue of this device?
>
>
>>Microsoft wants to replace it with MSN Messenger 6. Eight years is a
>>really long time for communication software. The Microsoft routers only
>>have the DMZ for that software while some other routers will include a
>>server that helps work with netmeeting.
>
>
> Of course, software companies sometimes urge you a little in the direction they want you to go. However, not only MS Netmeeting is obstructed by MN-700 (at least mine with its present settings), but all other H.323 compliant applications, too. Isn't that a little too much of a marketing policy?
>
> On the other hand, I'd feel ashamed to sell the MN-700 to friends without telling them the problem.
>
>
>
>
>
August 2, 2004 9:45:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

I almost forgot your ISP could be blocking the connection is another
possible cause.

joker wrote:

> Well netmeeting is a really old piece of software & the DMZ is your last
> hope. The only other thing I can think about is a software firewall in
> your case if you have put the computer in the DMZ.
>
> Rafa wrote:
>
>> I am having the same problem and I have an MN-700 wireless router and
>> the firmware is 2.1.2.590
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>>
>>> -----Original Message-----
>>> The Internet gateway is your router.
>>>
>>> Which router do you have & what is the firmware version
>>
>>
>> on it?
>>
>>> Sven Berg wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>> Netmeeting requires ports 389, 522, 1503, 1720, 1731
>>
>>
>> and the whole
>>
>>>> range from 1024 to 65535. Since this cannot be achieved
>>
>>
>> by
>>
>>>> portforwarding, I established a DMZ. Even in the DMZ,
>>
>>
>> however,
>>
>>>> incoming Netmeeting calls are not let through, and
>>
>>
>> outgoing
>>
>>>> connections only show my audio and video to the remote
>>
>>
>> partner, but
>>
>>>> not his audio and video to me. What can I do?
>>>>
>>>> Does the "internet gateway", which got installed
>>
>>
>> together with the
>>
>>>> broadband software, have to be configured additionally?
>>>>
>>>> Sven
>>>
>>>
>>> .
>>>
>
Anonymous
August 3, 2004 3:36:47 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

H323 is not NAT friendly.

Blame the protocol for that, not a "marketing ploy" (H323 expects a response
from a randomly assigned listening port between port 1024 and 65536).

Short of sticking it in DMZ mode, there's no way of doing this effectively
through a router (best solution is to give each computer an Internet ip
address.... this usually costs money from your internet provider). Some
routers have ALG's which can deal with this, but the success rate of such an
ALG working isn't very high.

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx

"Sven Berg" <SvenBerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:43861B76-57CA-40C0-868D-8DC275E3A82D@microsoft.com...
>
>
> "joker" wrote:
>
> Thank you for your clear and modest answers concerning MN-700. Maybe
somebody else in this group has personal experiences with the DMZ issue of
this device?
>
> > Microsoft wants to replace it with MSN Messenger 6. Eight years is a
> > really long time for communication software. The Microsoft routers only
> > have the DMZ for that software while some other routers will include a
> > server that helps work with netmeeting.
>
> Of course, software companies sometimes urge you a little in the direction
they want you to go. However, not only MS Netmeeting is obstructed by MN-700
(at least mine with its present settings), but all other H.323 compliant
applications, too. Isn't that a little too much of a marketing policy?
>
> On the other hand, I'd feel ashamed to sell the MN-700 to friends without
telling them the problem.
>
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
August 3, 2004 4:07:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

"Jason Tsang" wrote:

> H323 is not NAT friendly.
> Blame the protocol for that, not a "marketing ploy"

Yes, H323 implies some byzantine procedures. However, it is still very widespread and far from being replaced by other techniques like SIP. So, a universal connection tool like a router should supply an option to use H323 (deactivation of the built-in firewall might be one). Other routers do, MN-700 does not. Your defense of underachievement is beneath the reputation of an MVP.


> (H323 expects a response
> from a randomly assigned listening port between port 1024 and 65536).

Thanks for clarifying this bizarre detail.


> Short of sticking it in DMZ mode, there's no way of doing this effectively
> through a router (best solution is to give each computer an Internet ip
> address

I would be glad if it did for 1 selected computer (which is the idea of a DMZ). My MN-700 does not do this job, however. Or do you have advice how to reconfigure my DMZ (or whatsoever) to make it work?

Thanks in advance, Sven
!