Sign in with
Your question

3-D on a non "3-D model" TV?

Last response: in Home Theatre
January 26, 2011 5:12:33 AM

Okay, so I want to buy a new tv, 3-d is not a big enough deal for me to drop the extra money, but I'm buying a plasma TV, and was wondering, if I just use my PC to do all the work, and for example, use nvidia's 3-d vision kit, will it work just as the pricier models do? Why, why not?

More about : model

January 26, 2011 8:23:42 PM

Flying Sq said:
Okay, so I want to buy a new tv, 3-d is not a big enough deal for me to drop the extra money, but I'm buying a plasma TV, and was wondering, if I just use my PC to do all the work, and for example, use nvidia's 3-d vision kit, will it work just as the pricier models do? Why, why not?

No, because the the nvidia 3d requires either a 120hz display or an HDMI 1.4 connection and I know of no HDTVs that accept a 120Hz signal and all non-3D HDTV have HDMI 1.3 connections (and even if they eventually release a non-3D HDTV with an HDMI 1.4 connection it will report the TV as being non-3D capable).

Hope that helps.
m
l
January 29, 2011 8:07:06 AM

Okay, so, follow up question, will DVI work, or does it need to be HDMI. I'll just get a 120htz monitor for my PC gaming, but 2 birds one stone kind of deal. Does nvidia's site reference the need for a 120hz max display, could you post a link to your info. I'm just trying to get my facts straight.
m
l
Related resources
January 29, 2011 3:50:05 PM

You need a 120hz cappable monitor or TV for 3D. In other words your display must be cappable of refreshing at 120 frames per second and take a 120hz signal. Basically if your TV doesn't say 3D on it, it doesn't do it.

The most recent version of HDMI (1.4) can output 3D @ 1080P, previous versions can't. Make sure the cable you get is version 1.4

Alternatively Dual Link DVI can as well as DisplayPort
m
l
January 31, 2011 1:19:59 AM

what does rolf_my_waffle know that hasnt been said?

the nvidia 3d software says you need a 120hz refresh rate.
using any connection should reveal the available refresh rates.
are you saying that a 120hz refresh rate in the specifications of a television isnt enough?
doesnt that imply that 120hz isnt capable of remaining at a constant 120hz ?

crt televisions arent marketed as being 3d.. but if the refresh rate is high enough, the nvidia software says its okay.

i am concerned because there are quite a few 120hz televisions that dont display '3d ready' in the list of features.

to my understanding.. '3d ready' means the television has the software to run in stereoscopic mode inside the television.
then all you have to do is buy the glasses and the box to synchronize the glasses with the video.

simply refreshing at 120hz doesnt mean the synchronization is being reported.. therefore there is no way to synchronize the glasses with the video.
and that doesnt mention anything about actually displaying the video in stereoscopic mode.

using a graphics card in a computer with the 3d software, you can easily get the synchronization report so that the glasses are in sync with the video.
m
l
January 31, 2011 2:47:16 AM

anwaypasible said:
what does rolf_my_waffle know that hasnt been said?

the nvidia 3d software says you need a 120hz refresh rate.
using any connection should reveal the available refresh rates.
are you saying that a 120hz refresh rate in the specifications of a television isnt enough?
doesnt that imply that 120hz isnt capable of remaining at a constant 120hz ?

crt televisions arent marketed as being 3d.. but if the refresh rate is high enough, the nvidia software says its okay.

i am concerned because there are quite a few 120hz televisions that dont display '3d ready' in the list of features.

to my understanding.. '3d ready' means the television has the software to run in stereoscopic mode inside the television.
then all you have to do is buy the glasses and the box to synchronize the glasses with the video.

simply refreshing at 120hz doesnt mean the synchronization is being reported.. therefore there is no way to synchronize the glasses with the video.
and that doesnt mention anything about actually displaying the video in stereoscopic mode.

using a graphics card in a computer with the 3d software, you can easily get the synchronization report so that the glasses are in sync with the video.

Okay, but what about "3d ready" plasma tvs, I mean, do the panasonic glasses sync to refresh at 600htz then? If the connection isn't proprietary, then shouldn't there be a way to get it to work. I had just figured the difference between any 120htz tv and a 3d ready 120htz was the processor or what ever was being used to split the signal. Is analygraph software based instead of hardware based so it works on any 60htz tv/monitor?
m
l
January 31, 2011 5:07:05 AM

120hz trying to sync to 600hz will obviously have gaps between refreshes.
you should probably look to see if the glasses have jitter.

see.. 600hz is not necessarily what the refresh rate is of what you see.
say for instance there are needles for each pixel.. and at the end of each needle is a bottle of plasma gas.
those needles have to function at 600hz to change the color of the plasma.
and then.. however fast the plasma reacts is the refresh rate that you see.

that may or may not be the way it works.. but 600hz refresh stirs up question.
maybe plasma gas is constantly moving.. so the only way to make it sit still long enough to hold a picture is to manipulate the movements and force the gas to sit still at a frequency of 600hz.

it may be too difficult to determine what all the hype is about 600hz
so its just easier to look for reviews or try the product in a store.
m
l
!