Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Diablo II

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
October 14, 2012 8:19:25 PM

Yes I know it is a bit old school but Diablo II still sits at the top of my favorites, unfortunately I just upgraded to Win 7 64 home and when I tried to fire the game up I got an error message saying the game would not work with my version of windows. is that because it is 64 bit or do I just need to upgrade to windows pro version and run the game in XP compatibility mode?

Thanks in advance,

Don

More about : diablo

a b $ Windows 7
October 14, 2012 8:39:17 PM

have you tried right-mouse clicking the exe going to Compatibility Tab and running in XP compatibility mode?
Score
0
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
October 14, 2012 8:39:41 PM

it works fine in my pc with win 7 (32bits) with XP compatibility (service pack 2). Yet to check that on my win 7 64 bits system. Will let u know in a day or two.
Score
0
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
October 14, 2012 9:36:46 PM

DHFF said:
Yes I know it is a bit old school but Diablo II still sits at the top of my favorites, unfortunately I just upgraded to Win 7 64 home and when I tried to fire the game up I got an error message saying the game would not work with my version of windows. is that because it is 64 bit or do I just need to upgrade to windows pro version and run the game in XP compatibility mode?

Thanks in advance,

Don


Diablo 2 works fine on Windows 7 without any modifications or compatibility mode. You will have to perform a small workaround though.

By default Diablo 2 will use 2d rendering which means that it uses the depreciated DirectDraw API and not the DirectX API. DirectDraw hasn't been included for a few years. In order to set it to use Direct3D instead you will have to run Diablo 2's built in "video test" application. It will fail DirectDraw and allow you to choose Direct3D instead.
Score
0
October 15, 2012 12:49:40 AM

Pinhedd said:
Diablo 2 works fine on Windows 7 without any modifications or compatibility mode. You will have to perform a small workaround though.

By default Diablo 2 will use 2d rendering which means that it uses the depreciated DirectDraw API and not the DirectX API. DirectDraw hasn't been included for a few years. In order to set it to use Direct3D instead you will have to run Diablo 2's built in "video test" application. It will fail DirectDraw and allow you to choose Direct3D instead.


Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I didn't have any luck. I ran the test and selected Direct3D as you suggested but it still wont work. it gives me a compatibility issue then when I run it anyway I get a black screen. I haven't upgraded this computer to Win7 pro yet so I haven't tried Xp compatibility mode yet.

Score
0

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
October 15, 2012 1:09:38 AM

DHFF said:
Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I didn't have any luck. I ran the test and selected Direct3D as you suggested but it still wont work. it gives me a compatibility issue then when I run it anyway I get a black screen. I haven't upgraded this computer to Win7 pro yet so I haven't tried Xp compatibility mode yet.


XP Mode isn't meant for games, so upgrading to Pro won't help at all. There's a difference between "XP compatibility mode" and "XP mode". "XP Compatibility Mode" is a compatibility layer that has Windows Vista / Windows 7 behave as similar as possible to Windows XP but the OS is still Windows Vista / Windows 7. "XP Mode" uses Microsoft Virtual PC to completely encapsulate a Windows XP environment, but these virtual environments usually aren't game friendly.

I don't recall ever needing to use any compatibility mode to get Diablo 2 running, just the DirectX trick
Share
October 15, 2012 3:12:32 PM

Pinhedd said:
XP Mode isn't meant for games, so upgrading to Pro won't help at all. There's a difference between "XP compatibility mode" and "XP mode". "XP Compatibility Mode" is a compatibility layer that has Windows Vista / Windows 7 behave as similar as possible to Windows XP but the OS is still Windows Vista / Windows 7. "XP Mode" uses Microsoft Virtual PC to completely encapsulate a Windows XP environment, but these virtual environments usually aren't game friendly.

I don't recall ever needing to use any compatibility mode to get Diablo 2 running, just the DirectX trick



In that case I have no idea what the problem is. Thank you for the help but I haven't had any luck. I can still boot from my XP drive and play the game off there so its not a total loss. I was just trying to keep everything in one place. you did however rule out the compatibility mode so thank you for that.
Score
0
October 15, 2012 3:13:23 PM

Best answer selected by DHFF.
Score
0
a c 421 $ Windows 7
October 15, 2012 3:47:12 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
0
!