WGA/Where is my $450.00?

August 6, 2005 8:43:58 PM

in the following story:
"Microsoft, which entices users to the new software by offering enhanced
capabilities and software improvements valued by the software giant at
US$450, said the WGA validation would be required for all customers using
Windows Update"

http://www.crmbuyer.com/story/7GGPe6LpGYaRJc/Windows-Ad...

Maybe I am just a bit dense here, but I have not noticed $450.00 worth of
"enhanced capabilities and software improvements" to my PC.

Bob

More about : wga 450

Anonymous
August 6, 2005 10:57:11 PM

I suppose you are using a different accounting method....

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Leanin' Cedar" wrote:

| in the following story:
| "Microsoft, which entices users to the new software by offering enhanced
| capabilities and software improvements valued by the software giant at
| US$450, said the WGA validation would be required for all customers using
| Windows Update"
|
| http://www.crmbuyer.com/story/7GGPe6LpGYaRJc/Windows-Ad...
|

| Maybe I am just a bit dense here, but I have not noticed $450.00 worth of
| "enhanced capabilities and software improvements" to my PC.
|
| Bob
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 11:15:07 PM

Maybe he's using "fuzzy math accounting".

Cajunswabbie

news:o ZiRRKumFHA.1412@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>I suppose you are using a different accounting method....
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Leanin' Cedar" wrote:
>
> | in the following story:
> | "Microsoft, which entices users to the new software by offering enhanced
> | capabilities and software improvements valued by the software giant at
> | US$450, said the WGA validation would be required for all customers
> using
> | Windows Update"
> |

> http://www.crmbuyer.com/story/7GGPe6LpGYaRJc/Windows-Ad...
> |

> | Maybe I am just a bit dense here, but I have not noticed $450.00 worth
> of
> | "enhanced capabilities and software improvements" to my PC.
> |
> | Bob

Related resources
August 7, 2005 1:36:04 AM

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 16:43:58 -0700, "Leanin' Cedar" <Nospam@nospam.org>
wrote:

>http://www.crmbuyer.com/story/7GGPe6LpGYaRJc/Windows-Ad...

From the above link:

"WGA offers for submitting a piracy report and pirated CDs in
exchange for a reduced price or even free legitimate copy of Windows".

Lets see, by being honest, I pay 200+ for XP Pro and get treated like
a criminal by M$ until I can prove that I am not. But if I were a
criminal, a Pirate, I could possibly get it free for turning in my
Pirated copy.

I forget.... what were the advantages of being an honest purchaser of
M$ products?
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 1:36:05 AM

If YOU are the pirate would you turn yourself in? The WGA
program is designed to assist the victim of the pirate. If
you paid $200+ for Windows XP Pro and thought you were
buying a genuine retail which is about $400, you should have
known it was probably a pirated copy.
You can buy an OEM copy from a genuine dealer such as New
Egg for less than $200.

If you are a victim, WGA is a benefit, if you are the
pirate, your life got more difficult.

some support

"Ed" <fake@fake.com> wrote in message
news:D uoaf19navj1444pl5dsmpes2rqpvplude@4ax.com...
| On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 16:43:58 -0700, "Leanin' Cedar"
<Nospam@nospam.org>
| wrote:
|

>http://www.crmbuyer.com/story/7GGPe6LpGYaRJc/Windows-Ad...
|
| From the above link:
|
| "WGA offers for submitting a piracy report and pirated CDs
in
| exchange for a reduced price or even free legitimate copy
of Windows".

| Lets see, by being honest, I pay 200+ for XP Pro and get
treated like
| a criminal by M$ until I can prove that I am not. But if
I were a
| criminal, a Pirate, I could possibly get it free for
turning in my
| Pirated copy.
|
| I forget.... what were the advantages of being an honest
purchaser of
| M$ products?
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 1:36:05 AM

Would you prefer that your bank not issue a PIN number
for your ATM card so anyone could withdraw cash from your
account without your knowledge or consent or permission?

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Ed" wrote:

| Lets see, by being honest, I pay 200+ for XP Pro and get treated like
| a criminal by M$ until I can prove that I am not. But if I were a
| criminal, a Pirate, I could possibly get it free for turning in my
| Pirated copy.
|
| I forget.... what were the advantages of being an honest purchaser of
| M$ products?
August 7, 2005 2:15:24 AM

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 20:50:57 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
<cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:

>Would you prefer that your bank not issue a PIN number
>for your ATM card so anyone could withdraw cash from your
>account without your knowledge or consent or permission?

My bank doesn't treat me like a criminal every time I turn around.
But then, my bank wasn't subpoenaed to appear before a Senate
Investigation into my questionable business practices wither.... No
matter how you spin it......
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 2:15:25 AM

Go away as your mentallity is less than a three year old.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Ed" wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 20:50:57 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
> <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Would you prefer that your bank not issue a PIN number
> >for your ATM card so anyone could withdraw cash from your
> >account without your knowledge or consent or permission?
>
> My bank doesn't treat me like a criminal every time I turn around.
> But then, my bank wasn't subpoenaed to appear before a Senate
> Investigation into my questionable business practices wither.... No
> matter how you spin it......

Anonymous
August 7, 2005 2:22:05 AM

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 20:49:43 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
<p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:

>If YOU are the pirate would you turn yourself in? The WGA
>program is designed to assist the victim of the pirate. If
>you paid $200+ for Windows XP Pro and thought you were
>buying a genuine retail which is about $400, you should have
>known it was probably a pirated copy.

If that the case then every thing at wal-mart is pirated because they
have low prices

I didn't even know my version of windows 98se was not bought
correctly, Same with the ME version until I started in the groups.
If I never saw these group, I would of been using that incorrect
version of windows 98se today. I would send it in for a free one.
I don't want a free xp home. If they would give me a free 98SE
retail, I sure would seen it in a heart beat. I reported them quite
awhile back.

I have seen xp pro at circuit city for under $200 by the way.

Greg Ro
August 7, 2005 2:30:47 AM

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 20:49:43 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
<p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:

>if you are the pirate, your life got more difficult.

The only difficulty I see for the pirates is that they had to rush out
a hack for M$'s latest which they did in less than a day. M$ rushed
to close that and the pirates were back with another in less than a
day again and again and again...... All the while, honest people that
are having to jump through the hoops that the pirates don't, are
finding that the fallacies in M$'s latest is blaming some (some)
honest people with legitimate copies of being crooks. That is why our
local Office Depot had to put a sign up that said all sales of M$
products are final with no returns and all complaints about M$
products must be directed to M$. Seems as though they have been
getting a lot of returned OSs and Office products that have failed the
M$ crook tests.

No matter how you try to spin it......
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 2:31:32 AM

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 20:50:57 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
<cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:

>Would you prefer that your bank not issue a PIN number
>for your ATM card so anyone could withdraw cash from your
>account without your knowledge or consent or permission?

I remember hearing about the mastercard and visa security breach?

(The following is a joke)
Did that goof happen because wga wouldn't validate the
legally purchased computers and could not download a patch?

Greg Ro
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 4:18:16 AM

Price does not determine whether the product is legal or
valid. Asking a high price is one way an art thief will use
to sell the stolen art and an art forger will also ask a
high price.

A company as big as Wal-Mart sets prices because of their
volume. If a mom & pop store calls Intel or MS and seeks to
buy 2 dozen or even a few hundred units, they will be told
the wholesale "price" but Wal-Mart will call and say they
want to buy 1 million units at x price and that is what they
will pay.

some support

"Greg Ro" <webworm11@yes.lycos.com> wrote in message
news:o 07Hc8vmFHA.3656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
| On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 20:49:43 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
| <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:
|
| >If YOU are the pirate would you turn yourself in? The
WGA
| >program is designed to assist the victim of the pirate.
If
| >you paid $200+ for Windows XP Pro and thought you were
| >buying a genuine retail which is about $400, you should
have
| >known it was probably a pirated copy.
|
| If that the case then every thing at wal-mart is pirated
because they
| have low prices
|
| I didn't even know my version of windows 98se was not
bought
| correctly, Same with the ME version until I started in
the groups.
| If I never saw these group, I would of been using that
incorrect
| version of windows 98se today. I would send it in for a
free one.
| I don't want a free xp home. If they would give me a free
98SE
| retail, I sure would seen it in a heart beat. I reported
them quite
| awhile back.
|
| I have seen xp pro at circuit city for under $200 by the
way.

| Greg Ro

August 7, 2005 3:25:01 PM

Because some one disagrees with you, there is a need to name-call?
Who appears to be mentally deficient now? You.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
> Go away as your mentallity is less than a three year old.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>

> "Ed" wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 20:50:57 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
>> <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Would you prefer that your bank not issue a PIN number
>> >for your ATM card so anyone could withdraw cash from your
>> >account without your knowledge or consent or permission?
>>
>> My bank doesn't treat me like a criminal every time I turn around.
>> But then, my bank wasn't subpoenaed to appear before a Senate
>> Investigation into my questionable business practices wither.... No
>> matter how you spin it......

August 7, 2005 3:26:41 PM

Oh yeah, now I have to change my vote to "never got laid".

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
> Go away as your mentallity is less than a three year old.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>

> "Ed" wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 20:50:57 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
>> <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Would you prefer that your bank not issue a PIN number
>> >for your ATM card so anyone could withdraw cash from your
>> >account without your knowledge or consent or permission?
>>
>> My bank doesn't treat me like a criminal every time I turn around.
>> But then, my bank wasn't subpoenaed to appear before a Senate
>> Investigation into my questionable business practices wither.... No
>> matter how you spin it......

August 7, 2005 4:40:18 PM

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
> Go away as your mentallity is less than a three year old.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User

Look who's talking! The man has a good point. You don't. Live with it.

Alias

> "Ed" wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 20:50:57 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
>> <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Would you prefer that your bank not issue a PIN number
>> >for your ATM card so anyone could withdraw cash from your
>> >account without your knowledge or consent or permission?
>>
>> My bank doesn't treat me like a criminal every time I turn around.
>> But then, my bank wasn't subpoenaed to appear before a Senate
>> Investigation into my questionable business practices wither.... No
>> matter how you spin it......

August 7, 2005 10:46:52 PM

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 20:35:12 -0700, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
<mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote:

>Go away as your mentallity is less than a three year old.

Don't think I will monopathic, mindless, programmed M$ Clone. I'd
rather stay here and drive mindless clones like you into throwing
childish fits of rage like two year olds. It's a lot of fun watching
you throw childish temper tantrums.... You're so easy....

Wheeeeeeeeeee...... watch the clone blow......
August 7, 2005 11:05:19 PM

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 00:18:16 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
<p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:

>Price does not determine whether the product is legal or
>valid.
>Wal-Mart

Very true sir..... I paid little over $225 for my retail pro version.
I think I have also seen it going for less than $200 with rebates at
times in Sunday newspaper sales inserts for national Office and
Computer chain stores. One of my laptops has a retail version of Home
on it which I paid close to the same price I paid for my good deal
retail Pro version. As with your example, if you are a big
conglomerate that can purchase a Kazillion copies at Kazillion
wholesale bulk rate, then you can sell those retail for a few bucks
profit each and make a killing just from the bulk of it all.

Regards,
Ed
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 11:05:20 PM

That is the secret of mass marketing. It explains why
airplanes are expensive and computers and cellphones are
cheap.
www.pricewatch.com any college econ text helps too.

| On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 00:18:16 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
| <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:
|
| >Price does not determine whether the product is legal or
| >valid.
| >Wal-Mart
|
| Very true sir..... I paid little over $225 for my retail
pro version.
| I think I have also seen it going for less than $200 with
rebates at
| times in Sunday newspaper sales inserts for national
Office and
| Computer chain stores. One of my laptops has a retail
version of Home
| on it which I paid close to the same price I paid for my
good deal
| retail Pro version. As with your example, if you are a
big
| conglomerate that can purchase a Kazillion copies at
Kazillion
| wholesale bulk rate, then you can sell those retail for a
few bucks
| profit each and make a killing just from the bulk of it
all.

| Regards,
| Ed
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 11:50:34 PM

"Leanin' Cedar" <Nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
> in the following story:
> "Microsoft, which entices users to the new software by offering enhanced
> capabilities and software improvements valued by the software giant at
> US$450, said the WGA validation would be required for all customers using
> Windows Update"

http://www.crmbuyer.com/story/7GGPe6LpGYaRJc/Windows-Ad...

> Maybe I am just a bit dense here, but I have not noticed $450.00 worth of
> "enhanced capabilities and software improvements" to my PC.
>
> Bob

Haven't you ever heard the phrase "Transparent to the user ... " ??

mikey ;-)
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 5:56:14 AM

"Mike Fields" <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Haven't you ever heard the phrase "Transparent to the user ... " ??
>
> mikey ;-)

I thought I could hear Bill in there somewhere. I feel safer now. I guess
these might have been "Homeland Security" upgrades.
Bob
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 1:27:30 PM

Irritable Bowl Syndrome often causes people to be annoyed over nothing,
SCary time to visit the plumber and get that blocked pipe fixed..

http://www.microscum.com/carey/

- Winux P

"SCary Freak [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
> Go away as your mentallity is less than a three year old.
>
> --
> SCary Freak
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Smell/User
>

> "Ed" wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 20:50:57 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
>> <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Would you prefer that your bank not issue a PIN number
>> >for your ATM card so anyone could withdraw cash from your
>> >account without your knowledge or consent or permission?
>>
>> My bank doesn't treat me like a criminal every time I turn around.
>> But then, my bank wasn't subpoenaed to appear before a Senate
>> Investigation into my questionable business practices wither.... No
>> matter how you spin it......

August 8, 2005 1:27:31 PM

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 09:27:30 +1000, "Winux P" <winuxp@msnews.grp>
wrote:

>Irritable Bowl Syndrome often causes people to be annoyed over nothing,
>SCary time to visit the plumber and get that blocked pipe fixed..
>http://www.microscum.com/carey/

Wow, now I've often been blamed for having my head up my arse but no
one ever got a picture of it for proof like they did of ole Fish. I'm
impressed....

Regards,
Ed
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 12:39:02 AM

Courtesy, Kurttail. Should have stated acknowledgements :~).

- Winux P

!