WGA/Where is my $450.00?

in the following story:
"Microsoft, which entices users to the new software by offering enhanced
capabilities and software improvements valued by the software giant at
US$450, said the WGA validation would be required for all customers using
Windows Update"

http://www.crmbuyer.com/story/7GGPe6LpGYaRJc/Windows-Advantage-Program-Hacked-Criticized-for-Privacy-Breach.xhtml

Maybe I am just a bit dense here, but I have not noticed $450.00 worth of
"enhanced capabilities and software improvements" to my PC.

Bob
22 answers Last reply
More about where

    I suppose you are using a different accounting method....

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Leanin' Cedar" wrote:

    | in the following story:
    | "Microsoft, which entices users to the new software by offering enhanced
    | capabilities and software improvements valued by the software giant at
    | US$450, said the WGA validation would be required for all customers using
    | Windows Update"
    |
    | http://www.crmbuyer.com/story/7GGPe6LpGYaRJc/Windows-Advantage-Program-Hacked-Criticized-for-Privacy-Breach.xhtml
    |

    | Maybe I am just a bit dense here, but I have not noticed $450.00 worth of
    | "enhanced capabilities and software improvements" to my PC.
    |
    | Bob

    Maybe he's using "fuzzy math accounting".

    Cajunswabbie

    On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 16:43:58 -0700, "Leanin' Cedar" <Nospam@nospam.org>
    wrote:

    >http://www.crmbuyer.com/story/7GGPe6LpGYaRJc/Windows-Advantage-Program-Hacked-Criticized-for-Privacy-Breach.xhtml

    From the above link:

    "WGA offers for submitting a piracy report and pirated CDs in
    exchange for a reduced price or even free legitimate copy of Windows".

    Lets see, by being honest, I pay 200+ for XP Pro and get treated like
    a criminal by M$ until I can prove that I am not. But if I were a
    criminal, a Pirate, I could possibly get it free for turning in my
    Pirated copy.

    I forget.... what were the advantages of being an honest purchaser of
    M$ products?

    If YOU are the pirate would you turn yourself in? The WGA
    program is designed to assist the victim of the pirate. If
    you paid $200+ for Windows XP Pro and thought you were
    buying a genuine retail which is about $400, you should have
    known it was probably a pirated copy.
    You can buy an OEM copy from a genuine dealer such as New
    Egg for less than $200.

    If you are a victim, WGA is a benefit, if you are the
    pirate, your life got more difficult.

    some support

    "Ed" <fake@fake.com> wrote in message
    | On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 16:43:58 -0700, "Leanin' Cedar"
    <Nospam@nospam.org>
    | wrote:
    |

    >http://www.crmbuyer.com/story/7GGPe6LpGYaRJc/Windows-Advantage-Program-Hacked-Criticized-for-Privacy-Breach.xhtml
    |
    | From the above link:
    |
    | "WGA offers for submitting a piracy report and pirated CDs
    in
    | exchange for a reduced price or even free legitimate copy
    of Windows".

    | Lets see, by being honest, I pay 200+ for XP Pro and get
    treated like
    | a criminal by M$ until I can prove that I am not. But if
    I were a
    | criminal, a Pirate, I could possibly get it free for
    turning in my
    | Pirated copy.
    |
    | I forget.... what were the advantages of being an honest
    purchaser of
    | M$ products?

    Would you prefer that your bank not issue a PIN number
    for your ATM card so anyone could withdraw cash from your
    account without your knowledge or consent or permission?

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Ed" wrote:

    | Lets see, by being honest, I pay 200+ for XP Pro and get treated like
    | a criminal by M$ until I can prove that I am not. But if I were a
    | criminal, a Pirate, I could possibly get it free for turning in my
    | Pirated copy.
    |
    | I forget.... what were the advantages of being an honest purchaser of
    | M$ products?

    On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 20:50:57 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
    <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:

    >Would you prefer that your bank not issue a PIN number
    >for your ATM card so anyone could withdraw cash from your
    >account without your knowledge or consent or permission?

    My bank doesn't treat me like a criminal every time I turn around.
    But then, my bank wasn't subpoenaed to appear before a Senate
    Investigation into my questionable business practices wither.... No
    matter how you spin it......

    Go away as your mentallity is less than a three year old.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Ed" wrote:

    > On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 20:50:57 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
    > <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Would you prefer that your bank not issue a PIN number
    > >for your ATM card so anyone could withdraw cash from your
    > >account without your knowledge or consent or permission?
    >
    > My bank doesn't treat me like a criminal every time I turn around.
    > But then, my bank wasn't subpoenaed to appear before a Senate
    > Investigation into my questionable business practices wither.... No
    > matter how you spin it......

    On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 20:49:43 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
    <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:

    >If YOU are the pirate would you turn yourself in? The WGA
    >program is designed to assist the victim of the pirate. If
    >you paid $200+ for Windows XP Pro and thought you were
    >buying a genuine retail which is about $400, you should have
    >known it was probably a pirated copy.

    If that the case then every thing at wal-mart is pirated because they
    have low prices

    I didn't even know my version of windows 98se was not bought
    correctly, Same with the ME version until I started in the groups.
    If I never saw these group, I would of been using that incorrect
    version of windows 98se today. I would send it in for a free one.
    I don't want a free xp home. If they would give me a free 98SE
    retail, I sure would seen it in a heart beat. I reported them quite
    awhile back.

    I have seen xp pro at circuit city for under $200 by the way.

    Greg Ro

    On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 20:49:43 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
    <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:

    >if you are the pirate, your life got more difficult.

    The only difficulty I see for the pirates is that they had to rush out
    a hack for M$'s latest which they did in less than a day. M$ rushed
    to close that and the pirates were back with another in less than a
    day again and again and again...... All the while, honest people that
    are having to jump through the hoops that the pirates don't, are
    finding that the fallacies in M$'s latest is blaming some (some)
    honest people with legitimate copies of being crooks. That is why our
    local Office Depot had to put a sign up that said all sales of M$
    products are final with no returns and all complaints about M$
    products must be directed to M$. Seems as though they have been
    getting a lot of returned OSs and Office products that have failed the
    M$ crook tests.

    No matter how you try to spin it......

    On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 20:50:57 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
    <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:

    >Would you prefer that your bank not issue a PIN number
    >for your ATM card so anyone could withdraw cash from your
    >account without your knowledge or consent or permission?

    I remember hearing about the mastercard and visa security breach?

    (The following is a joke)
    Did that goof happen because wga wouldn't validate the
    legally purchased computers and could not download a patch?

    Greg Ro

    Price does not determine whether the product is legal or
    valid. Asking a high price is one way an art thief will use
    to sell the stolen art and an art forger will also ask a
    high price.

    A company as big as Wal-Mart sets prices because of their
    volume. If a mom & pop store calls Intel or MS and seeks to
    buy 2 dozen or even a few hundred units, they will be told
    the wholesale "price" but Wal-Mart will call and say they
    want to buy 1 million units at x price and that is what they
    will pay.

    some support

    "Greg Ro" <webworm11@yes.lycos.com> wrote in message
    | On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 20:49:43 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
    | <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:
    |
    | >If YOU are the pirate would you turn yourself in? The
    WGA
    | >program is designed to assist the victim of the pirate.
    If
    | >you paid $200+ for Windows XP Pro and thought you were
    | >buying a genuine retail which is about $400, you should
    have
    | >known it was probably a pirated copy.
    |
    | If that the case then every thing at wal-mart is pirated
    because they
    | have low prices
    |
    | I didn't even know my version of windows 98se was not
    bought
    | correctly, Same with the ME version until I started in
    the groups.
    | If I never saw these group, I would of been using that
    incorrect
    | version of windows 98se today. I would send it in for a
    free one.
    | I don't want a free xp home. If they would give me a free
    98SE
    | retail, I sure would seen it in a heart beat. I reported
    them quite
    | awhile back.
    |
    | I have seen xp pro at circuit city for under $200 by the
    way.

    | Greg Ro

    Because some one disagrees with you, there is a need to name-call?
    Who appears to be mentally deficient now? You.

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Go away as your mentallity is less than a three year old.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >

    > "Ed" wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 20:50:57 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
    >> <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Would you prefer that your bank not issue a PIN number
    >> >for your ATM card so anyone could withdraw cash from your
    >> >account without your knowledge or consent or permission?
    >>
    >> My bank doesn't treat me like a criminal every time I turn around.
    >> But then, my bank wasn't subpoenaed to appear before a Senate
    >> Investigation into my questionable business practices wither.... No
    >> matter how you spin it......

    Oh yeah, now I have to change my vote to "never got laid".

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Go away as your mentallity is less than a three year old.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >

    > "Ed" wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 20:50:57 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
    >> <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Would you prefer that your bank not issue a PIN number
    >> >for your ATM card so anyone could withdraw cash from your
    >> >account without your knowledge or consent or permission?
    >>
    >> My bank doesn't treat me like a criminal every time I turn around.
    >> But then, my bank wasn't subpoenaed to appear before a Senate
    >> Investigation into my questionable business practices wither.... No
    >> matter how you spin it......

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Go away as your mentallity is less than a three year old.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User

    Look who's talking! The man has a good point. You don't. Live with it.

    Alias

    > "Ed" wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 20:50:57 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
    >> <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Would you prefer that your bank not issue a PIN number
    >> >for your ATM card so anyone could withdraw cash from your
    >> >account without your knowledge or consent or permission?
    >>
    >> My bank doesn't treat me like a criminal every time I turn around.
    >> But then, my bank wasn't subpoenaed to appear before a Senate
    >> Investigation into my questionable business practices wither.... No
    >> matter how you spin it......

    On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 20:35:12 -0700, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
    <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote:

    >Go away as your mentallity is less than a three year old.

    Don't think I will monopathic, mindless, programmed M$ Clone. I'd
    rather stay here and drive mindless clones like you into throwing
    childish fits of rage like two year olds. It's a lot of fun watching
    you throw childish temper tantrums.... You're so easy....

    Wheeeeeeeeeee...... watch the clone blow......

    On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 00:18:16 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
    <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:

    >Price does not determine whether the product is legal or
    >valid.
    >Wal-Mart

    Very true sir..... I paid little over $225 for my retail pro version.
    I think I have also seen it going for less than $200 with rebates at
    times in Sunday newspaper sales inserts for national Office and
    Computer chain stores. One of my laptops has a retail version of Home
    on it which I paid close to the same price I paid for my good deal
    retail Pro version. As with your example, if you are a big
    conglomerate that can purchase a Kazillion copies at Kazillion
    wholesale bulk rate, then you can sell those retail for a few bucks
    profit each and make a killing just from the bulk of it all.

    Regards,
    Ed

    That is the secret of mass marketing. It explains why
    airplanes are expensive and computers and cellphones are
    cheap.
    www.pricewatch.com any college econ text helps too.

    "Leanin' Cedar" <Nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
    > in the following story:
    > "Microsoft, which entices users to the new software by offering enhanced
    > capabilities and software improvements valued by the software giant at
    > US$450, said the WGA validation would be required for all customers using
    > Windows Update"

    http://www.crmbuyer.com/story/7GGPe6LpGYaRJc/Windows-Advantage-Program-Hacked-Criticized-for-Privacy-Breach.xhtml

    > Maybe I am just a bit dense here, but I have not noticed $450.00 worth of
    > "enhanced capabilities and software improvements" to my PC.
    >
    > Bob

    Haven't you ever heard the phrase "Transparent to the user ... " ??

    mikey ;-)

    "Mike Fields" <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Haven't you ever heard the phrase "Transparent to the user ... " ??
    >
    > mikey ;-)

    I thought I could hear Bill in there somewhere. I feel safer now. I guess
    these might have been "Homeland Security" upgrades.
    Bob

    Irritable Bowl Syndrome often causes people to be annoyed over nothing,
    SCary time to visit the plumber and get that blocked pipe fixed..

    http://www.microscum.com/carey/

    - Winux P

    "SCary Freak [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Go away as your mentallity is less than a three year old.
    >
    > --
    > SCary Freak
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Smell/User
    >

    > "Ed" wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 20:50:57 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
    >> <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Would you prefer that your bank not issue a PIN number
    >> >for your ATM card so anyone could withdraw cash from your
    >> >account without your knowledge or consent or permission?
    >>
    >> My bank doesn't treat me like a criminal every time I turn around.
    >> But then, my bank wasn't subpoenaed to appear before a Senate
    >> Investigation into my questionable business practices wither.... No
    >> matter how you spin it......

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 09:27:30 +1000, "Winux P" <winuxp@msnews.grp>
    wrote:

    >Irritable Bowl Syndrome often causes people to be annoyed over nothing,
    >SCary time to visit the plumber and get that blocked pipe fixed..
    >http://www.microscum.com/carey/

    Wow, now I've often been blamed for having my head up my arse but no
    one ever got a picture of it for proof like they did of ole Fish. I'm
    impressed....

    Regards,
    Ed
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Courtesy, Kurttail. Should have stated acknowledgements :~).

    - Winux P

    > On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 09:27:30 +1000, "Winux P" <winuxp@msnews.grp>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Irritable Bowl Syndrome often causes people to be annoyed over nothing,
    >>SCary time to visit the plumber and get that blocked pipe fixed..
    >>http://www.microscum.com/carey/
    >
    > Wow, now I've often been blamed for having my head up my arse but no
    > one ever got a picture of it for proof like they did of ole Fish. I'm
    > impressed....
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ed

Windows Update Microsoft Software Windows XP