Sometimes when WinXP SP2 starts not all the startup icons show, but the
programs are running. However, there is no access. I reboot and there they
are. Once in a while a program will not start - generally it is SpySweeper or
PowerPanel (CyberPower Backup). Just started recently. System has been swept
with SpySweeper, Adaware Pro SE, SpyHunter, and Norton AV 2005. Solution?

"JustUs" <JustUs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Sometimes when WinXP SP2 starts not all the startup icons show, but
> the programs are running. However, there is no access. I reboot and
> there they are. Once in a while a program will not start - generally
> it is SpySweeper or PowerPanel (CyberPower Backup). Just started
> recently. System has been swept with SpySweeper, Adaware Pro SE,
> SpyHunter, and Norton AV 2005. Solution?

Is there a left pointing carat on the left edge of the Notification Area?

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

No. All icons show. This isn't a big problem, more of an annoyance. BUT - I
get a bit compulsive at times and like things to work without additional
steps or input :)

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" wrote:

> "JustUs" <JustUs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Sometimes when WinXP SP2 starts not all the startup icons show, but
> > the programs are running. However, there is no access. I reboot and
> > there they are. Once in a while a program will not start - generally
> > it is SpySweeper or PowerPanel (CyberPower Backup). Just started
> > recently. System has been swept with SpySweeper, Adaware Pro SE,
> > SpyHunter, and Norton AV 2005. Solution?
>
> Is there a left pointing carat on the left edge of the Notification Area?
>
> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> http://www.fjsmjs.com
> Protect your PC
> http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx

Any other suggestions?

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" wrote:

> "JustUs" <JustUs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Sometimes when WinXP SP2 starts not all the startup icons show, but
> > the programs are running. However, there is no access. I reboot and
> > there they are. Once in a while a program will not start - generally
> > it is SpySweeper or PowerPanel (CyberPower Backup). Just started
> > recently. System has been swept with SpySweeper, Adaware Pro SE,
> > SpyHunter, and Norton AV 2005. Solution?
>
> Is there a left pointing carat on the left edge of the Notification Area?
>
> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> http://www.fjsmjs.com
> Protect your PC
> http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx

kelly

This is common for most Auto-Logon users.

Methods/workarounds: Log off and Log back on, password protect your account
or disable SSDP and uPNP Services.

Disable SSDP and uPNP Services (Line 156)

Or if you are running XP SP1 uninstall UPnP from Add/Remove Windows
Components.

Hide or Show Inactive Icons in the Notification Area (Line 53)

Remove Past Items From the Notification Area (Line 53)

Added info:

Troubleshooting the Notification Area
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_n.htm#na

Troubleshooting the Volume Control Icon
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_v.htm#volume

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP

> Any other suggestions?
>
> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> "JustUs" <JustUs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Sometimes when WinXP SP2 starts not all the startup icons show, but
>> > the programs are running. However, there is no access. I reboot and
>> > there they are. Once in a while a program will not start - generally
>> > it is SpySweeper or PowerPanel (CyberPower Backup). Just started
>> > recently. System has been swept with SpySweeper, Adaware Pro SE,
>> > SpyHunter, and Norton AV 2005. Solution?
>>
>> Is there a left pointing carat on the left edge of the Notification Area?
>>
>> --
>> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
>> Please respond in Newsgroup only. Do not send email
>> http://www.fjsmjs.com
>> Protect your PC
>> http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx
>> http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/

Kelly -
Such a simple solution - I logged off and all is well.

Thanks a bunch!!

"Kelly" wrote:

> This is common for most Auto-Logon users.
>
> Methods/workarounds: Log off and Log back on, password protect your account
> or disable SSDP and uPNP Services.
>
> Disable SSDP and uPNP Services (Line 156)
>
> Or if you are running XP SP1 uninstall UPnP from Add/Remove Windows
> Components.
>
> Hide or Show Inactive Icons in the Notification Area (Line 53)
>
> Remove Past Items From the Notification Area (Line 53)
>
> Added info:
>
> Troubleshooting the Notification Area
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_n.htm#na
>
> Troubleshooting the Volume Control Icon
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_v.htm#volume
>
> Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "JustUs" <JustUs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Any other suggestions?
> >
> > "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> "JustUs" <JustUs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Is there a left pointing carat on the left edge of the Notification Area?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> >> Please respond in Newsgroup only. Do not send email
> >> http://www.fjsmjs.com
> >> Protect your PC
> >> http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx
> >> http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/

kelly

You are most welcome. However, there are other options to consider. Good
luck and glad to have helped in my small way. :eek:)
--

> Kelly -
> Such a simple solution - I logged off and all is well.
>
> Thanks a bunch!!
>
> "Kelly" wrote:
>
>> This is common for most Auto-Logon users.
>>
>> Methods/workarounds: Log off and Log back on, password protect your
>> account
>> or disable SSDP and uPNP Services.
>>
>> Disable SSDP and uPNP Services (Line 156)
>>
>> Or if you are running XP SP1 uninstall UPnP from Add/Remove Windows
>> Components.
>>
>> Hide or Show Inactive Icons in the Notification Area (Line 53)
>>
>> Remove Past Items From the Notification Area (Line 53)
>>
>> Added info:
>>
>> Troubleshooting the Notification Area
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_n.htm#na
>>
>> Troubleshooting the Volume Control Icon
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_v.htm#volume
>>
>> Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
>>

>> --
>>
>> All the Best,
>> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>>
>> Troubleshooting Windows XP
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>>

>> "JustUs" <JustUs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Any other suggestions?

Kelly -
What are the other considerations?

Strange thing happened when I logged off, which I had never done before. I
found another account called "ntfod". That letter combination means
absolutley nothing to me. Could there have been some kind of virus, malware,
etc that could have created that account? Anyway, I deleted it. No apparent
repurcussions, at this time anyway.

Don