Easy fix for ....On efi systems windows can only be installed to GPT disks

Status
Not open for further replies.

alohascott

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
I have seen a lot of people having this problem and the fix is really easy. Just change your dvd drive that you are installing windows with from uefi to sata. You can do this in the bios or with by hitting f11 or whatever your motherboard uses to choose the boot option.

Problem solved.

Solution
The actual correct way to install 8.1 is on GPT.

At the partition screen of windows setup hold down Shift+F10

Type the following -

diskpart (this will take 3-10 seconds to load)

DISKPART>select disk 0
DISKPART>clean
DISKPART>convert gpt
DISKPART>exit

X:\System32>exit

That will take you back to the partition screen of windows setup, then click refresh and then click Next.

If you get another error saying it can't find a partition, you most likely tried to format and label the partition yourself in diskpart cmd line, simply delete the partition using the GUI and click next.

ishanvadera

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013

Hey, what do I change in the BiOS setting after I go there.

PantsPenguin

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
I literally made an account here just to say thank you :D

>>Hey, what do I change in the BiOS setting after I go there.

At least in my bios it was a GUI and let me drag the non-uefi dvd drive in front of both the hard drive and the uefi dvd drive.
If you don't have one (GUI BIOS) maybe in boot order it has two separate entries for the dvd drives?

Herrnick

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013

Creat an account to say Thanks

ukpeterg

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2013
I have also created an account to say thank you to the OP.

It would be nice if the mobo manufacturers were to put this bit of advice in their paperwork!

Cheers and a Merry Christmas.

Peter.

uhu

Distinguished
May 17, 2012
Tried the options given in this and other threads, and got very frustrated. I tried selecting Legacy-CD/DVD-Boot - wouldn't boot / nothing happened. Then tried to disable EFI altogether in the boot options - Still it booted from EFI-DVD-drive.
Found out after 20 restarts or so, that I had to turn the computer off completely for a few secs, not only reboot, for the changes to take effect. This was on a HP/Compaq 8200 Elite SFF w SSD.
Anyhow - Thanks for this thread, and this Forum.

Richman_32

Honorable
May 29, 2012
This is a very common error message that appears when trying to install both either Windows 7 or Windows 8 as I have encountered it both ways. It can be simply the fact that your installation media is booting in the wrong mode either UEFI or Legacy IDE/SATA. If your installation media is booting in one mode implying a certain disk format and you disk is formatted in the opposite mode than there will be a conflict.

See herehere for full explaination where I explain this which has helped many people in over at sevenforums where I originally posted it.

Etechsupport

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014

ZixxaTroll

Reputable
Nov 11, 2014

frankthetank909

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
The actual correct way to install 8.1 is on GPT.

At the partition screen of windows setup hold down Shift+F10

Type the following -

diskpart (this will take 3-10 seconds to load)

DISKPART>select disk 0
DISKPART>clean
DISKPART>convert gpt
DISKPART>exit

X:\System32>exit

That will take you back to the partition screen of windows setup, then click refresh and then click Next.

If you get another error saying it can't find a partition, you most likely tried to format and label the partition yourself in diskpart cmd line, simply delete the partition using the GUI and click next.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.