Sign in with
Your question

HP Pavilion p7-1210 Desktop

Last response: in Business Computing
February 28, 2012 5:03:46 AM

Hi All,
I am thinking of buying a HP Pavilion p7-1210 Desktop, just wondering if 509.00 is a good deal?? I want it for doing Photoshop CS5, is this good.
cooljazz_56@msn.com
Kevin

More about : pavilion 1210 desktop

February 28, 2012 1:37:47 PM

First off, are you planning to use this computer in a production environment? In other words, are you planning to run Photoshop CS5 on this computer just to play around with, or are you planning to use it for actual daily work?

The HP Pavilion that you linked to is really designed for home use. Sure, it will be capable of running Adobe CS5 software, it has a quad core processor and enough memory, but there are other major factors in computers that can make a big difference for production computers. For instance, the quality of power supply that is in the HP Pavilion desktop is very minimal and will not allow you to upgrade for future needs such as a more powerful graphics card.

There are many differences between a design workstation for Adobe CS5 software and a desktop computer that simply can run Adobe CS5 software. Much of this comes down to your intended usage. My family owns a professional sign business and as I own my own computer business, we build and maintain all of their computers and after years of research, trial, and error I can tell the differences between your off-the-shelf home desktop system running Adobe production software and a computer system truly intended for design work.
February 28, 2012 3:26:59 PM

choucove said:
First off, are you planning to use this computer in a production environment? In other words, are you planning to run Photoshop CS5 on this computer just to play around with, or are you planning to use it for actual daily work?

The HP Pavilion that you linked to is really designed for home use. Sure, it will be capable of running Adobe CS5 software, it has a quad core processor and enough memory, but there are other major factors in computers that can make a big difference for production computers. For instance, the quality of power supply that is in the HP Pavilion desktop is very minimal and will not allow you to upgrade for future needs such as a more powerful graphics card.

There are many differences between a design workstation for Adobe CS5 software and a desktop computer that simply can run Adobe CS5 software. Much of this comes down to your intended usage. My family owns a professional sign business and as I own my own computer business, we build and maintain all of their computers and after years of research, trial, and error I can tell the differences between your off-the-shelf home desktop system running Adobe production software and a computer system truly intended for design work.

Thanks for the info, I currently use a HP slimline, 32bit, Win 7, 2.80GH 360HD. This is time to move up to 64bit. and faster processor and RAM, vidio card.
Related resources
February 28, 2012 3:30:02 PM

Thanks for the info, I currently use a HP slimline, 32bit, Win 7, 2.80GH 360HD. This is time to move up to 64bit. and faster processor and RAM, vidio card.
February 28, 2012 3:32:01 PM

choucove said:

Do you have any suggestions?
February 28, 2012 4:43:53 PM

For casual use, the HP Pavilion will be capable of running Adobe CS5 software, but again if you're planning to use the software in more of a production environment or professionally running design software, the Pavilion really is not built with the capabilities of content creation or business longevity in mind.

What all do you plan to use your computer for? Will you be doing gaming? Other multimedia or office tasks? What is your budget plan for this computer?

Again, while this computer can run Adobe CS5 casually, it's not really intended for a business environment (several hours of use daily) or for highly demanding tasks such as content creation in a production environment.
February 28, 2012 4:54:05 PM

choucove said:
For casual use, the HP Pavilion will be capable of running Adobe CS5 software, but again if you're planning to use the software in more of a production environment or professionally running design software, the Pavilion really is not built with the capabilities of content creation or business longevity in mind.

What all do you plan to use your computer for? Will you be doing gaming? Other multimedia or office tasks? What is your budget plan for this computer?

Again, while this computer can run Adobe CS5 casually, it's not really intended for a business environment (several hours of use daily) or for highly demanding tasks such as content creation in a production environment.

I have a computer for gaming,, this will be just for Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom 3 design
February 28, 2012 7:02:13 PM

If this computer is intended specifically for design usage, then your best bet is going to be something offering a professional quality graphics card, and going with a high quality, ideally IPS, monitor for color precision and fidelity.

To get the best bang for your buck throughout the system, we tend to do all custom-built systems and pre-built design systems from companies like Dell or HP are going to entail a much higher cost than a consumer grade desktop.

Here's what we use for our design systems:

Intel Core i7-2600 3.4 Ghz quad-core processor
ASUS P8P67 Pro ATX LGA1155 motherboard
Corsair Vengeance 16 GB (4 X 4 GB) DDR3 1600 memory
PNY Quadro 400 PCI-Express 2.0 x16 graphics card
Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB 7,200 RPM SATA6 hard drive
Corsair H80 liquid cooling
Corsair AX650 650 Watt power supply
Cooler Master CM-690 II ATX mid-tower chassis

There's a lot of variations to this that will work for a good production computer, but you're also talking a much more powerful (and thus much more expensive) desktop than the HP Pavilion that you linked to. The big question is what kind of budget you are wanting to work with. If you're intending to have a professional content creation system, I'd say you need to look around the $1,000 price range really.

There are also a lot of options from HP or Dell for a pre-built system capable of doing this work. Stick to their business series of desktops, though.

One of the big differences here is your graphics card. These nVidia Quadro cards (and the AMD FirePro cards) are built with design work and professional quality in mind. They are more expensive, but you will have a higher quality color fidelity with them especially when paired with a high-quality IPS monitor.
!