Inspiron 6000 PCI Device Unknown In Device Manager...Help!

Got a Ispiron 6000 with XP Media version XP. However I wanted XP pro.
No rpoblem just installed my old copy of XP pro from the old laptop
which now runs Knoppix. Here is the problem though, saved the drivers
from the hard drive before fdisking the drive, but there is a driver
missing for some PCI device. Anybody have an idea what it is? I have
every other device working fine except for this "mystery device" which
I don't know where to get a driver for.

Any help appreciated.

PS yes I did go to the driver download section at dell and got every
driver for this model....no luck. Dell support useless too.

"Tragik Magik" <Tragik@Magik.com> wrote in message
> Got a Ispiron 6000 with XP Media version XP. However I wanted XP pro.
> No rpoblem just installed my old copy of XP pro from the old laptop
> which now runs Knoppix. Here is the problem though, saved the drivers
> from the hard drive before fdisking the drive, but there is a driver
> missing for some PCI device. Anybody have an idea what it is? I have
> every other device working fine except for this "mystery device" which
> I don't know where to get a driver for.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> PS yes I did go to the driver download section at dell and got every
> driver for this model....no luck. Dell support useless too.

Did you install the Chipset drivers first? Dell won't support XP Pro, of
course, since you installed an illegal copy on your machine. Your XP Pro
license is tied to the laptop on which it was purchased, regardless of what
is installed on it now. Actually, while true, that's not why they don't
support you. They just support the OS you bought from them.

By the way, why do you want Pro? MCE is based on Pro.

Tom

Thanks for the info on the chipset drivers "FIRST" will give that a
try. Also it is not an illgale copy of Windows XP Pro, as I bought a
new hard drive for the old laptop and was thereby allowed to buy an
OEM version of XP Pro. I do realize the bit about Dell not supporting
it, but obviously they should have drivers for ALL devices for this
model on ther web site. Hell, I didn't even get an OS disk with this
unit, have to create your own....cheap bastards. How I long for the
day when you bought a PC and it came with all the drivers on disks.

Thanks again.

Cheers

BTW don't need all the fluff with MCE, hence the XP Pro

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 22:38:01 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
wrote:

>"Tragik Magik" <Tragik@Magik.com> wrote in message
>> Got a Ispiron 6000 with XP Media version XP. However I wanted XP pro.
>> No rpoblem just installed my old copy of XP pro from the old laptop
>> which now runs Knoppix. Here is the problem though, saved the drivers
>> from the hard drive before fdisking the drive, but there is a driver
>> missing for some PCI device. Anybody have an idea what it is? I have
>> every other device working fine except for this "mystery device" which
>> I don't know where to get a driver for.
>>
>> Any help appreciated.
>>
>> PS yes I did go to the driver download section at dell and got every
>> driver for this model....no luck. Dell support useless too.
>>

>Did you install the Chipset drivers first? Dell won't support XP Pro, of
>course, since you installed an illegal copy on your machine. Your XP Pro
>license is tied to the laptop on which it was purchased, regardless of what
>is installed on it now. Actually, while true, that's not why they don't
>support you. They just support the OS you bought from them.
>
>By the way, why do you want Pro? MCE is based on Pro.
>
>Tom

Its probably your modem. Is is a Simple PCI Communication Controller ?

> Thanks for the info on the chipset drivers "FIRST" will give that a
> try. Also it is not an illgale copy of Windows XP Pro, as I bought a
> new hard drive for the old laptop and was thereby allowed to buy an
> OEM version of XP Pro. I do realize the bit about Dell not supporting
> it, but obviously they should have drivers for ALL devices for this
> model on ther web site. Hell, I didn't even get an OS disk with this
> unit, have to create your own....cheap bastards. How I long for the
> day when you bought a PC and it came with all the drivers on disks.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Cheers
>
> BTW don't need all the fluff with MCE, hence the XP Pro
>

> On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 22:38:01 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
> wrote:
>

>>"Tragik Magik" <Tragik@Magik.com> wrote in message
>>> Got a Ispiron 6000 with XP Media version XP. However I wanted XP pro.
>>> No rpoblem just installed my old copy of XP pro from the old laptop
>>> which now runs Knoppix. Here is the problem though, saved the drivers
>>> from the hard drive before fdisking the drive, but there is a driver
>>> missing for some PCI device. Anybody have an idea what it is? I have
>>> every other device working fine except for this "mystery device" which
>>> I don't know where to get a driver for.
>>>
>>> Any help appreciated.
>>>
>>> PS yes I did go to the driver download section at dell and got every
>>> driver for this model....no luck. Dell support useless too.
>>>

>>Did you install the Chipset drivers first? Dell won't support XP Pro, of
>>course, since you installed an illegal copy on your machine. Your XP Pro
>>license is tied to the laptop on which it was purchased, regardless of
>>what
>>is installed on it now. Actually, while true, that's not why they don't
>>support you. They just support the OS you bought from them.
>>
>>By the way, why do you want Pro? MCE is based on Pro.
>>
>>Tom

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

also makesure you install the chipset drivers
"Tragik Magik" <Tragik@Magik.com> wrote in message
> Got a Ispiron 6000 with XP Media version XP. However I wanted XP pro.
> No rpoblem just installed my old copy of XP pro from the old laptop
> which now runs Knoppix. Here is the problem though, saved the drivers
> from the hard drive before fdisking the drive, but there is a driver
> missing for some PCI device. Anybody have an idea what it is? I have
> every other device working fine except for this "mystery device" which
> I don't know where to get a driver for.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> PS yes I did go to the driver download section at dell and got every
> driver for this model....no luck. Dell support useless too.

There is an uninstall for the MCE "fluff". Sorry if I jumped to a
conclusion on XP Pro. So many people come here looking for support on
'borrowed' copies.

I've found that MCE is so closed to Pro and the MCE stuff is so unobstrusive
that it isn't worth the switch.

Also, the website should have everything. I've never found it not to.

Tom