problem with the product key

hi !

i bought IBM thinkpad t23 with windows xp prof 1-2CPU. i think it was
with sp1.
windows instaler was on the another-hidden partition.
my problem is that i`ve destroyd that partition and only thing that I
have is my product key.
do you think that i can install any windows xp prof and use my key?
microsoft told me that i have to buy another windows :(

procik wrote:
> hi !
>
> i bought IBM thinkpad t23 with windows xp prof 1-2CPU. i think it was
> with sp1.
> windows instaler was on the another-hidden partition.
> my problem is that i`ve destroyd that partition and only thing that I
> have is my product key.
> do you think that i can install any windows xp prof and use my key?

No, you can't use just any CD. Product Keys are bound to the specific
type and language of CD/license (OEM, Volume, retail, full, or Upgrade)
with which they are purchased. For example, a WinXP Home OEM Product Key
won't work for any retail version of WinXP Home, or for any version of
WinXP Pro, and vice versa. An upgrade's Product Key cannot be used with
a full version CD, and vice versa. An OEM Product Key will not work to
install a retail product. An Italian Product Key will not work with an
English CD. Bottom line: Product Keys and CD types cannot be mixed &
matched.

You might be able to use a generic OEM CD with your Product Key, but
then you'll have the problem of chasing down all of the necessary
proprietary device drivers needed to return the laptop to full operability.

> microsoft told me that i have to buy another windows :(

Microsoft doesn't support OEM licenses. You'll need to contact IBM to
obtain a new OEM installation CD. They'll be able (willing is another
matter, though) to provide you with the proper version of WinXP
customized to work on their hardware, and including all of the necessary
device drivers.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

If you've got the key just borrow a winxp pro oem version cd from any friend
who's got one and try installing it. My money says it will work.

If it doesn't you're not out anything because you can just format the hard
drive and try again with someone elses version when you can find one.

"procik" <procik@interia.pl> wrote in message
> hi !
>
> i bought IBM thinkpad t23 with windows xp prof 1-2CPU. i think it was
> with sp1.
> windows instaler was on the another-hidden partition.
> my problem is that i`ve destroyd that partition and only thing that I
> have is my product key.
> do you think that i can install any windows xp prof and use my key?
> microsoft told me that i have to buy another windows :(

You cannot just use "ANY OEM" disc. It will not contain the necessary
drivers for the hardware installed on the laptop. even if the disc will let
you install, the key would not work, and the laptop would have limited
functionality. The windows disc may contain compatible drivers for *some*
of the hardware, but they would not be the correct device drivers.

Your best option's to contact IBM and pay the nominal fee for a CD for your
make/model.

Bobby

"Jack Handey" <nothere@overthere.com> wrote in message
> If you've got the key just borrow a winxp pro oem version cd from any
> friend who's got one and try installing it. My money says it will work.
>
> If it doesn't you're not out anything because you can just format the hard
> drive and try again with someone elses version when you can find one.
>

> "procik" <procik@interia.pl> wrote in message
>> hi !
>>
>> i bought IBM thinkpad t23 with windows xp prof 1-2CPU. i think it was
>> with sp1.
>> windows instaler was on the another-hidden partition.
>> my problem is that i`ve destroyd that partition and only thing that I
>> have is my product key.
>> do you think that i can install any windows xp prof and use my key?
>> microsoft told me that i have to buy another windows :(

you can download all the drivers for the computer off the net after the os
is installed.

> You cannot just use "ANY OEM" disc. It will not contain the necessary
> drivers for the hardware installed on the laptop. even if the disc will
> let you install, the key would not work, and the laptop would have limited
> functionality. The windows disc may contain compatible drivers for *some*
> of the hardware, but they would not be the correct device drivers.
>
> Your best option's to contact IBM and pay the nominal fee for a CD for
> your make/model.
>
> Bobby
>
> "Jack Handey" <nothere@overthere.com> wrote in message
>> If you've got the key just borrow a winxp pro oem version cd from any
>> friend who's got one and try installing it. My money says it will work.
>>
>> If it doesn't you're not out anything because you can just format the
>> hard drive and try again with someone elses version when you can find
>> one.
>>

>> "procik" <procik@interia.pl> wrote in message
>>> hi !
>>>
>>> i bought IBM thinkpad t23 with windows xp prof 1-2CPU. i think it was
>>> with sp1.
>>> windows instaler was on the another-hidden partition.
>>> my problem is that i`ve destroyd that partition and only thing that I
>>> have is my product key.
>>> do you think that i can install any windows xp prof and use my key?
>>> microsoft told me that i have to buy another windows :(

"Jack Handey" <nothere@overthere.com> wrote in:

> you can download all the drivers for the computer off the net after the os
> is installed.

Not always. Many machines (and my HP laptop was one) use proprietary ATI
video cards and drivers and those drivers are guaranteed NOT to be found on
ATI's website. I had a similar experience with a desktop that used a "white
box" ATI card but unlike the laptop's ATI video I could get the desktop to
function about 90% with generic drivers.

BTW, a search of serial numbers and part numbers of the chip and board
resulted in learning that no such card ever existed according to ATI! They
really will NOT support "white box" products and they will not admit the
existence of such apparently.

--
David R. Norton MVP
<d_r_norton@yahoo.com>