Sign in with
Your question

Cannot install Windows 7.

Last response: in Windows 7
October 14, 2012 9:19:23 PM

I have an issue. A customer has handed me a laptop to repair. The laptop is an Acer Aspire 5773Z. The customer has admitted to man-handling the machine by slamming the lid down (which caused the screen to crack). One day, his wife was using the computer and it "quit working". I do not know what he means by quit working, I can only assume it froze or shut off.

Anyhow, the problem now is that while I'm trying to reinstall Win7, the computer won't take it. The first thing I noticed was that the Setup program says "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk". I tried deleting all partitions, and making a new one - then formatting. There is an issue here too, sometimes it won't partition. I have yet to be able to format the hard drive. Everytime I do it tells me that Windows is unable to format the drive. I have put a new hard drive in, and so I doubt that both hard drives are bad. The one I put in is known good.

Edit: The OS is Win7 Home Prem x86 by the way.

More about : install windows

a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
October 14, 2012 9:42:49 PM

try the Acer recovery disk.
m
l
a c 248 D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
October 14, 2012 9:46:21 PM

Hi :) 

Umm KNOWN good SECOND HARD DRIVE....you mean second hand yes ?

Test it in DOS...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
Related resources
October 14, 2012 9:53:33 PM

There are no recovery disks, no recovery partition. The second disk is known good, it's mine and has already been tested.
m
l
October 14, 2012 10:04:36 PM

Did you check the bios settings to make sure the hard drives are correctly recognized by the laptop?
Apart from that, the only problem i can imagine why windows WOnt install is a bad ram (had this problem myself, and windows could not install carrectly).

I advice trying memtest at least to ensure that the problem does not come from the ram, as well as checking the bios (assuming you know what you are doing), to make sure its not corrupted.
m
l
October 14, 2012 10:06:39 PM

The only thing I do know, is that the BIOS is outdated. The newest version is 1.10and the current version is 1.02. The hard drives are recognized, and they are displaying. I see all partitions, and have deleted all of them as well. I will run a memtest, but I'm certain that is not the issue.

Other suggestions are welcome, I will report back when memtest is done.
m
l
October 14, 2012 10:25:02 PM

Windows memory test was clean.

Edit: I still need help with this issue.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 15, 2012 12:07:12 AM

Windows memory test is only very basic, you should try a better memory test such as memtest86 and run it for at least three passes. Have you tried partitioning and formatting the hard drive on another computer?
m
l
October 15, 2012 12:49:54 AM

pjmelect said:
Windows memory test is only very basic, you should try a better memory test such as memtest86 and run it for at least three passes. Have you tried partitioning and formatting the hard drive on another computer?

I realize that, but I seriously doubt the memory is the issue. No I have not tried formatting the hard drive on another computer. I'm assuming it will work. I will do it within the hour, I was just trying to find out if anyone knew of a reason why a mobo/controller would not cooperate.
m
l
October 15, 2012 10:09:12 PM

Any more suggestions? The hard drive worked in my other laptop.
m
l
October 15, 2012 11:26:35 PM

I have flashed the BIOS to the latest version and still cannot get the Windows Setup to format the disk on the other laptop.
m
l
October 23, 2012 6:40:05 AM

if installing windows from a USB try making a DVD and vice versa

Also try changing the mode of the hard drive in the bios to something different e.g. AHCI, IDE or RAID. Try each one.
m
l
October 23, 2012 6:58:16 PM

jamesmcuk said:
if installing windows from a USB try making a DVD and vice versa

Also try changing the mode of the hard drive in the bios to something different e.g. AHCI, IDE or RAID. Try each one.

I did all of these with no luck. This issue is driving me nuts. I believe that the issue is a problem with the connector on the motheboard,or a power issue.
m
l
!