Hard Disk Error Messgae

Diminsion 8400 running Windows XP Media Edition
3.2ghz, 1gb, 250gb SATA

I experianced data curruption of some sort that resulted in not being able
to start Windows (missing config file). I could not start in Safe Mode. I
could not start even after booting to the recovery console and restoring
system files from the repair folder (config was not there, onfig.nt was but
that did not work other than to change the error to then complain about
'system' which i also tried to restoree. So I resintalled Windows along
with everything else*.

It seems to be working 100% but then I decided to run diagnostics on the
drive and got some errors.

Specifically, if I press f12 during boot I can select to start from the
diagnostics partition. When I select to test the Sata hard drive i am
presented with serveral tests (confidence test, self test, seek test, read
test, verify test, s.m.a.r.t test) which I ran. most passed but the
confidence and read tests produced errors. Specifically:
Error Code 0f00:1344
Msg Block 6635392 uncorrectabe\le data error or media is write prodected.
This does this for several blocks. It also produced a sililar message for
the smae blocks when the read test is done. The only dirrerence is that the
Error Code is 0f00:0244. Both say it could be an write protect error and
that makes me wonder if the Dell installed partitions might be write
protected and so this error is can be ignored.

Should I worry about this hard drive error (get a replacement drive and
reload the os agian) meaawhen everthing seems to be working fine?

* chipset, video, nic, audio, modem, tv tuner, windows updates, sonic my
dvd, cyberlink, norton anti virus, acrobat, office xp, office updates,
printer, java, flash, restore data, and flashed the bios along the way from
a03 to a06.

The drive has developed bad sectors and should be replaced ASAP.

ijr wrote:
> Diminsion 8400 running Windows XP Media Edition
> 3.2ghz, 1gb, 250gb SATA
>
> I experianced data curruption of some sort that resulted in not being able
> to start Windows (missing config file). I could not start in Safe Mode. I
> could not start even after booting to the recovery console and restoring
> system files from the repair folder (config was not there, onfig.nt was but
> that did not work other than to change the error to then complain about
> 'system' which i also tried to restoree. So I resintalled Windows along
> with everything else*.
>
> It seems to be working 100% but then I decided to run diagnostics on the
> drive and got some errors.
>
> Specifically, if I press f12 during boot I can select to start from the
> diagnostics partition. When I select to test the Sata hard drive i am
> presented with serveral tests (confidence test, self test, seek test, read
> test, verify test, s.m.a.r.t test) which I ran. most passed but the
> confidence and read tests produced errors. Specifically:
> Error Code 0f00:1344
> Msg Block 6635392 uncorrectabe\le data error or media is write prodected.
> This does this for several blocks. It also produced a sililar message for
> the smae blocks when the read test is done. The only dirrerence is that the
> Error Code is 0f00:0244. Both say it could be an write protect error and
> that makes me wonder if the Dell installed partitions might be write
> protected and so this error is can be ignored.
>
> Should I worry about this hard drive error (get a replacement drive and
> reload the os agian) meaawhen everthing seems to be working fine?
>

> * chipset, video, nic, audio, modem, tv tuner, windows updates, sonic my
> dvd, cyberlink, norton anti virus, acrobat, office xp, office updates,
> printer, java, flash, restore data, and flashed the bios along the way from
> a03 to a06.

Thank you for the advice. Perhaps I am showing my age, but can't bad
sectors simply be marked as bad and ignored using check disk? Of is it this
condition something that tends to spread? And, if I reload from a blank
drive, how would I go about recreating the utility partition (or should I
not even bother?). Thank you once again.

"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
> The drive has developed bad sectors and should be replaced ASAP.
>

> ijr wrote:
>> Diminsion 8400 running Windows XP Media Edition
>> 3.2ghz, 1gb, 250gb SATA
>>
>> I experianced data curruption of some sort that resulted in not being
>> able to start Windows (missing config file). I could not start in Safe
>> Mode. I could not start even after booting to the recovery console and
>> restoring system files from the repair folder (config was not there,
>> onfig.nt was but that did not work other than to change the error to then
>> complain about 'system' which i also tried to restoree. So I resintalled
>> Windows along with everything else*.
>>
>> It seems to be working 100% but then I decided to run diagnostics on the
>> drive and got some errors.
>>
>> Specifically, if I press f12 during boot I can select to start from the
>> diagnostics partition. When I select to test the Sata hard drive i am
>> presented with serveral tests (confidence test, self test, seek test,
>> read test, verify test, s.m.a.r.t test) which I ran. most passed but the
>> confidence and read tests produced errors. Specifically:
>> Error Code 0f00:1344
>> Msg Block 6635392 uncorrectabe\le data error or media is write prodected.
>> This does this for several blocks. It also produced a sililar message
>> for the smae blocks when the read test is done. The only dirrerence is
>> that the Error Code is 0f00:0244. Both say it could be an write protect
>> error and that makes me wonder if the Dell installed partitions might be
>> write protected and so this error is can be ignored.
>>
>> Should I worry about this hard drive error (get a replacement drive and
>> reload the os agian) meaawhen everthing seems to be working fine?
>>

>> * chipset, video, nic, audio, modem, tv tuner, windows updates, sonic my
>> dvd, cyberlink, norton anti virus, acrobat, office xp, office updates,
>> printer, java, flash, restore data, and flashed the bios along the way
>> from a03 to a06.

First, Microsoft's chkdsk is an inadequate diagnostic. Better to run the
diagnostics from the drive manufacturer.

Second, yes, bad sectors tend to spread. Even one bad sector is a sign of
something seriously wrong, with drive heads, surface of media (most probable),
drive electronics, or contamination inside the drive (also somewhat probable).

You can get by without the diagnostics partition, but I think it is better to
have one. Google this newsgroup for instructions to create a diagnostic
partition. Not rocket science, but not obvious, either... Ben Myers

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 01:09:31 GMT, "ijr" <irj@phoney.com> wrote:

>Thank you for the advice. Perhaps I am showing my age, but can't bad
>sectors simply be marked as bad and ignored using check disk? Of is it this
>condition something that tends to spread? And, if I reload from a blank
>drive, how would I go about recreating the utility partition (or should I
>not even bother?). Thank you once again.
>
>"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
>> The drive has developed bad sectors and should be replaced ASAP.
>>

>> ijr wrote:
>>> Diminsion 8400 running Windows XP Media Edition
>>> 3.2ghz, 1gb, 250gb SATA
>>>
>>> I experianced data curruption of some sort that resulted in not being
>>> able to start Windows (missing config file). I could not start in Safe
>>> Mode. I could not start even after booting to the recovery console and
>>> restoring system files from the repair folder (config was not there,
>>> onfig.nt was but that did not work other than to change the error to then
>>> complain about 'system' which i also tried to restoree. So I resintalled
>>> Windows along with everything else*.
>>>
>>> It seems to be working 100% but then I decided to run diagnostics on the
>>> drive and got some errors.
>>>
>>> Specifically, if I press f12 during boot I can select to start from the
>>> diagnostics partition. When I select to test the Sata hard drive i am
>>> presented with serveral tests (confidence test, self test, seek test,
>>> read test, verify test, s.m.a.r.t test) which I ran. most passed but the
>>> confidence and read tests produced errors. Specifically:
>>> Error Code 0f00:1344
>>> Msg Block 6635392 uncorrectabe\le data error or media is write prodected.
>>> This does this for several blocks. It also produced a sililar message
>>> for the smae blocks when the read test is done. The only dirrerence is
>>> that the Error Code is 0f00:0244. Both say it could be an write protect
>>> error and that makes me wonder if the Dell installed partitions might be
>>> write protected and so this error is can be ignored.
>>>
>>> Should I worry about this hard drive error (get a replacement drive and
>>> reload the os agian) meaawhen everthing seems to be working fine?
>>>

>>> * chipset, video, nic, audio, modem, tv tuner, windows updates, sonic my
>>> dvd, cyberlink, norton anti virus, acrobat, office xp, office updates,
>>> printer, java, flash, restore data, and flashed the bios along the way
>>> from a03 to a06.

Thanks all.
For anyone who cares, I found this detailed description on how to rebuild
the utility partition on a new drive:
http://www.goodells.net/dellutility/recreate.htm
and the complete story of all the partitions here:

> First, Microsoft's chkdsk is an inadequate diagnostic. Better to run the
> diagnostics from the drive manufacturer.
>
> Second, yes, bad sectors tend to spread. Even one bad sector is a sign of
> something seriously wrong, with drive heads, surface of media (most
> probable),
> drive electronics, or contamination inside the drive (also somewhat
> probable).
>
> You can get by without the diagnostics partition, but I think it is better
> have one. Google this newsgroup for instructions to create a diagnostic
> partition. Not rocket science, but not obvious, either... Ben Myers
>
> On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 01:09:31 GMT, "ijr" <irj@phoney.com> wrote:
>
>>Thank you for the advice. Perhaps I am showing my age, but can't bad
>>sectors simply be marked as bad and ignored using check disk? Of is it
>>this
>>condition something that tends to spread? And, if I reload from a blank
>>drive, how would I go about recreating the utility partition (or should I
>>not even bother?). Thank you once again.
>>
>>"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
>>> The drive has developed bad sectors and should be replaced ASAP.

That IS an excellent description. Follows closely what I've done in the past,
with similar instructions from others... Ben Myers

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 02:55:28 GMT, "ijr" <irj@phoney.com> wrote:

>Thanks all.
>For anyone who cares, I found this detailed description on how to rebuild
>the utility partition on a new drive:
>http://www.goodells.net/dellutility/recreate.htm
>and the complete story of all the partitions here:
>http://www.goodells.net/dellutility/

There are bad sectors due to manufacturing issues (imperfections in the
suface of the platters), and bad sectors due to post-manufacturing
physical media damage.

On old ST412/506 (aka MFM/RLL) drives, you have a bad sector track map
on the drive you used to lock out the bad sectors.

Modern IDE drives are pre-mapped with the bad sectors locked out at
manufacture. In fact, there are spare sectors on each track that are
transparently called into use by the drive's logic board without your
even knowing it. Once those are exhausted, and actual bad sectors begin
to appear, the dominoes have started falling. The drive could fail
tomorrow, in a week, or a year - but it's not reliable.

Given that a replacement drive costs as little as $50 these days, and/or
that it's under warranty, get it replaced ASAP for the preservation of
your data.