Right click on desktop does not bring up display properties

On a clean install of windows XP Pro upgrade (Win98SE put on and then
immediately upgraded to XP Pro), when I right click on a clear spot on
the desktop the hourglass appears for a few about a minute and then the
desktop disappears and is redrawn. The OS complains again about the
firewall being down. Clicking on display in the Control Panel works
fine, though...

any suggestions?

Jakanapes wrote:

> Clicking on display in the Control Panel works
> fine, though...
>
> any suggestions?

Yeah, click on Display in the Control Panel from now on.

you know you don't actually have to have a previous OS installed to upgrade
you just have to have the cd.

"Jakanapes" <Jakanapes@aol.com> wrote in message
> On a clean install of windows XP Pro upgrade (Win98SE put on and then
> immediately upgraded to XP Pro), when I right click on a clear spot on
> the desktop the hourglass appears for a few about a minute and then the
> desktop disappears and is redrawn. The OS complains again about the
> firewall being down. Clicking on display in the Control Panel works
> fine, though...
>
> any suggestions?

Hi Jakanapes,

The right-click problem that you're experiencing is usually caused by
corrupt/incompatible shell extension installed. To identify and fix the
problem, visit the following page, and scroll-down to section "Problems when
you right-click an empty area in the Desktop?"

Note that there will be a context-menu entry named "New". "New" is the only
handler added by Windows. Rest everything you see in that registry location
(mentioned in the URL above) are added by third-party party software, such
as your Graphics card etc.

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org