Right click on desktop does not bring up display properties

On a clean install of windows XP Pro upgrade (Win98SE put on and then
immediately upgraded to XP Pro), when I right click on a clear spot on
the desktop the hourglass appears for a few about a minute and then the
desktop disappears and is redrawn. The OS complains again about the
firewall being down. Clicking on display in the Control Panel works
fine, though...

any suggestions?
3 answers Last reply
More about right click desktop bring display properties

    Jakanapes wrote:

    > Clicking on display in the Control Panel works
    > fine, though...
    >
    > any suggestions?

    Yeah, click on Display in the Control Panel from now on.

    you know you don't actually have to have a previous OS installed to upgrade
    you just have to have the cd.

    "Jakanapes" <Jakanapes@aol.com> wrote in message
    > On a clean install of windows XP Pro upgrade (Win98SE put on and then
    > immediately upgraded to XP Pro), when I right click on a clear spot on
    > the desktop the hourglass appears for a few about a minute and then the
    > desktop disappears and is redrawn. The OS complains again about the
    > firewall being down. Clicking on display in the Control Panel works
    > fine, though...
    >
    > any suggestions?

    Hi Jakanapes,

    The right-click problem that you're experiencing is usually caused by
    corrupt/incompatible shell extension installed. To identify and fix the
    problem, visit the following page, and scroll-down to section "Problems when
    you right-click an empty area in the Desktop?"

    Note that there will be a context-menu entry named "New". "New" is the only
    handler added by Windows. Rest everything you see in that registry location
    (mentioned in the URL above) are added by third-party party software, such
    as your Graphics card etc.

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "Jakanapes" <Jakanapes@aol.com> wrote in message
    > On a clean install of windows XP Pro upgrade (Win98SE put on and then
    > immediately upgraded to XP Pro), when I right click on a clear spot on
    > the desktop the hourglass appears for a few about a minute and then the
    > desktop disappears and is redrawn. The OS complains again about the
    > firewall being down. Clicking on display in the Control Panel works
    > fine, though...
    >
    > any suggestions?

Desktops Clean Install Windows XP Displays