video cards on new dells

Hello

Im thinking of getting a new dell for gaming. If I separately buy a fancy
video card, will they still fit in AGP slot on new dells bypassing the
onboard video? MY XPS 400 from 1997 has had all the upgrades Im going to
give it and it might be time for a new gamer.

Thanks

The AGP specification is a standard.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"Don Moore" <willyworm_99@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> Im thinking of getting a new dell for gaming. If I separately buy a fancy
> video card, will they still fit in AGP slot on new dells bypassing the
> onboard video? MY XPS 400 from 1997 has had all the upgrades Im going to
> give it and it might be time for a new gamer.
>
> Thanks

If new Dells still have an AGP slot.

Don Moore wrote:

> Hello
>
> Im thinking of getting a new dell for gaming. If I separately buy a fancy
> video card, will they still fit in AGP slot on new dells bypassing the
> onboard video? MY XPS 400 from 1997 has had all the upgrades Im going to
> give it and it might be time for a new gamer.

AGP is obsolete, current Dells have a PCI-Express slot for video.

David

It not a regular pci slot. It is a pci express (pci-e) slot
this is the replacement for AGP.
Dell no longer sells computers with AGP slots.
The lower end have no video card slot
and the others have pci-e slots.
Other computer makers (emachines, HP/compaq)
still sell lower end computers with AGP slots
but their mid and upper range computers
also come with pci-e slots for video instead
of agp.
Hope this clears it up.
Dave

David

Well you DO have to install drivers (same as with AGP cards)..but the
card comes with drivers
and they can be downloaded from the manufacturers site.
Windows will recognize the card well enough to see the screen to enable
you
to update the drivers.
Dave

"Sparky Spartacus" <Sparky@universalexports.org> wrote in message
> Don Moore wrote:
>
> > Hello
> >
> > Im thinking of getting a new dell for gaming. If I separately buy a
fancy
> > video card, will they still fit in AGP slot on new dells bypassing the
> > onboard video? MY XPS 400 from 1997 has had all the upgrades Im going
> > give it and it might be time for a new gamer.
>
> AGP is obsolete, current Dells have a PCI-Express slot for video.

SO all the new fancy video cards nowadays don't have AGP and plug into a pci
slot? Are the new cards pretty much just plug and play on new dells like on
the old ones?

PCI-Express is NOT PCI. It is an entirely new connector
with a whole new system of communication. To get AGP
you would need to get a refurbished 8300 or 4600.

"David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
> It not a regular pci slot. It is a pci express (pci-e) slot
> this is the replacement for AGP.
> Dell no longer sells computers with AGP slots.
> The lower end have no video card slot
> and the others have pci-e slots.
> Other computer makers (emachines, HP/compaq)
> still sell lower end computers with AGP slots
> but their mid and upper range computers
> also come with pci-e slots for video instead
> of agp.
> Hope this clears it up.
> Dave

AH interesting. Thanks for setting me straight on the new slots. Are the
new after market video cards plug and play in these new dell slots?

Don Moore wrote:

> "Sparky Spartacus" <Sparky@universalexports.org> wrote in message
>
>>Don Moore wrote:
>>

>>>Hello
>>>
>>>Im thinking of getting a new dell for gaming. If I separately buy a
>
> fancy
>
>>>video card, will they still fit in AGP slot on new dells bypassing the
>>>onboard video? MY XPS 400 from 1997 has had all the upgrades Im going

>>>give it and it might be time for a new gamer.
>>
>>AGP is obsolete, current Dells have a PCI-Express slot for video.
>
> SO all the new fancy video cards nowadays don't have AGP and plug into a pci
> slot? Are the new cards pretty much just plug and play on new dells like on
> the old ones?

Yup - it would be unthinkable to go backwards IMHO.

There are still LOTS of AGP cards on the market in stores like CompUSA,
Best Buy, J&R, etc.